All Things Boys MSHSL State Tournament

TG rolls by 33 over Hermantown. Chatman 8-10 and 2-2 from 3 for 19 pts. He played 13 minutes.

Park Center pulls away in last 10 minutes to beat Andover by 14. Carrington was 5-12 (16pts), but had 8 assists and 5-6 at the FT stripe.

TG rolls by 33 over Hermantown. Chatman 8-10 and 2-2 from 3 for 19 pts. He played 13 minutes.

Park Center pulls away in last 10 minutes to beat Andover by 14. Carrington was 5-12 (16pts), but had 8 assists and 5-6 at the FT stripe.
Andover put up a better fight than I thought they would. Park center pulled away in second half a bit but good showing by Andover.

EP vs Eastview is most interesting game of the day for me today.

Andover put up a better fight than I thought they would. Park center pulled away in second half a bit but good showing by Andover.

link for EP and eastview?

link for EP and eastview?
It’s like 10 bucks for a game:
29 for the first round
39 for all the 3rd place and consolation games too

So if you want to watch just one game pay the 10

Prepspotlight.tv

Winners bracket after today is on channel 45 and not streamed. So don’t buy the 39 or 29 thinking you get semifinals and championship. You don’t get them

Side note. I can’t believe MSHSL didn’t press credential Ryan James
That sounds nuts to me. Who is running that operation? Ryan has an audience of people very interested in the high level players in the tournament that would give a little more attention to the event than just participating schools. Do they not believe in the internet as a source for information?

I love watching the state tournament and they say "I think he has an offer from Purdue"

or

He's a good player I'm sure he has a few D1 and D2 offers, checks mn basketball hub- 7 P5 offers

Eastview taking them to it. One thing I like about Eastview is that they play a style that doesn’t make me wish their was a shot clock. They get up and down a lot.

Lead was up to 26
Down to 15

Eden prairie 8:30 left to make a comeback

Izzo in the stands to watch his signee (Holloman).

Onto Semi-Final Round Thursday on TV
Eastview (4) vs Park Center(1) (AAAA)
Totino Grace(1) vs Mankato East(4) (AAA)

On streaming - the MSHSL has made a deal with Prep Spotlight TV. Prep Spotlight is the only venue allowed to do streaming video coverage of state tournament events - AND you have to pay to watch the games. No free streaming.

So, your choices are pay to go to the games in person, or pay to watch the Prep Spotlight stream.

Same deal with State FB, VB and State WR.

the MSHSL promotes Prep Spotlight - but rarely mentions that you have to pay to watch the games.

The Basketball Semi-Finals and Finals are on free TV on Ch. 45. I think 45 also streams them for free on its website.

and of course, on the free TV broadcasts, you have to listen to Dave Lee on the play-by-play..........

CDH hits a 3 to win in the last seconds by 1 over #2 seed Owatonna. They will play the winner of Moorhead and Wayzata. Holloman with 17-5-9 to lead the Raiders.

Princeton beats Austin by 10 in AAA and will face DeLaSalle vs St Cloud Tech winner.

CDH hits a 3 to win in the last seconds by 1 over #2 seed Owatonna. They will play the winner of Moorhead and Wayzata. Holloman with 17-5-9 to lead the Raiders.

Princeton beats Austin by 10 in AAA and will face DeLaSalle vs St Cloud Tech winner.
After a slow start to the year CDH just keeps getting better

That sounds nuts to me. Who is running that operation? Ryan has an audience of people very interested in the high level players in the tournament that would give a little more attention to the event than just participating schools. Do they not believe in the internet as a source for information?
High School League is beyond a joke.

The coon rapids situation is 100% corruption.

Your buddy on the board so your school gets to the 5a state semifinals?
Yours isn’t so forest lake gets to go 0-9 in perpetuity?

If that isn’t corruption I don’t know what is
As a Coon Rapids alum, can you further explain how this has been helping or hurting the school’s athletics? The drop off in most sports outside of baseball over the last 20 years is disturbing.

Nice win by Eli King and Caledonia tonight .Iowa State got a great kid and a winner.

Watched the Cretin Owatonna tilt. Exciting game down to the last shot. Meh on Holloman, not sure why Izzo has such a woody for him. That's not to say I wish he wasn't a Gopher; but I don't think it's anywhere near the top of the list of past Gopher recruiting misses. BJ shouldn't have a problem getting a PG of that caliber.

Watched the Cretin Owatonna tilt. Exciting game down to the last shot. Meh on Holloman, not sure why Izzo has such a woody for him. That's not to say I wish he wasn't a Gopher; but I don't think it's anywhere near the top of the list of past Gopher recruiting misses. BJ shouldn't have a problem getting a PG of that caliber.
I agree on Holloman. Better defender than Willis but in terms of point guards not a big upgrade. But he’s about ten years younger LOL.

no room for him on press row-- some old credentialed reporter showed up with a full size suitcase with all of his equipment. it took him 15 minutes to get it all out and set up.
Flip side is Ryan got to watch both games on the stream, so could comment on both on the twitter

I think he is going to be really good. He pushes the ball upcourt so well, willing to throw 50ft alley oops-- when he has players that can finish those plays he is going to have some huge assist nights. His shot is too slow from 3, but his pullup game is good. and he has that will to win that is fun to watch. I saw that pop up this year when he played in the Pro-Am for the last couple of weeks. He jumped onto a team and made them really good in a hurry.
We will wish we had him, and our best hope is that he gets mad about Izzo recruiting a top 5 in the country point guard in the class behind him, but I think Tre is too loyal to leave early.

forgot to add something about Carrington-- he handled the ball and made plays better than I expected-- based on the reporting I had heard, it sounded like he was more of a jump shooter. His jumper didn't start falling tonight until he banked in a 3-- that seemed to get him going a little bit. He wasn't handling extreme full court pressure all day, but what pressure there was he seemed to handle ok

That point guard for Andover is fun to watch. Can dribble well and can shoot, plus he's only a junior. Andover did a bit too much standing around on the offense, otherwise a fun team to watch.

I don't see Heide in the box score for Wayzata?

Problem is that this all evolves with new developments in the burbs and communities becoming land locked. This is tough to predict. Anoka-Hennepin opened two new Elementary schools 3 years ago and they were over capacity by the time they opened and they are now having to do emergency redistricting of lines, forcing people back to older neighborhood schools.

The top 5A schools can compete with all the 17-32 teams. Elk River, Chaska, Chanhassen, Rogers, Andover, Mankato West, Kasson, to name a few. These communities are still all able to grow and have advantages over other communities.

This is also true of some of the 6A schools that will continue to grow. Forest Lake, Blaine, Cenntennial, Andover, Anoka/Ramsey. These communities in the North like many in the south, east and west can continue to grow and build for attracting young families.

Coon Rapids, Fridley, Columbia Heights, etc. are all fully developed and landlocked. The houses in these communities are 1/2 the size of those in the neighboring communities.

The MSHSL is dealing with moving targets that change drastically in a couple years, let alone 10.
Really good post.

I wish demographics could be considered more than just simply enrollment. Quite clearly, not all enrollments are equal. We already know this with private schools, but yeah no way can you compare Columbia Heights and Chanhassen (for example).

As a Coon Rapids alum, can you further explain how this has been helping or hurting the school’s athletics? The drop off in most sports outside of baseball over the last 20 years is disturbing.
Coon rapids is one of the 32 biggest schools in the state.
2 and 3 years ago they allowed coon rapids to “opt down” because they were so bad. They opted down and made the state semifinals in 2019.

The 32 biggest schools in the state are only allowed to play each other. Unless you are coon rapids or brainerd. Then you get to go play St Francis and get a win. Roseville…no you stand in and go 0-9. St Francis I know per our own definitions you aren’t good enough to play coon rapids…but coon rapids is so bad they are going to come and kick your ass. K?

Top Bottom