THE GOPHERS ARE NO LONGER RANKED/RECEIVING VOTES IN THE AP POLL

Gophers Ranked in Top 25 at some point this season?

• Yes

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • Insane Question

Votes: 10 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A hammered Minnesota sports writer after Bailey's third missed FG and an empty bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream.

Sounds like you're Irsih???
That's a little harsh.

It's not like I said, "Go Hawkeyes" (and F@$K yourself!) <see. I couldn't do it!

Jocularity - i'm jacked for the game tonight - I think we're gonna win - I'm also close to being certifiable.

Sounds like you're Irsih???

Jocularity - i'm jacked for the game tonight - I think we're gonna win - I'm also close to being certifiable.
I'm only Irish in my drinking habits. Bailey is just the right name for the right alcohol. God knows that kicker requires something stronger to swallow. Like Bacardi 151 or Everclear.

I'm pretty sure I saw Zimmer free-basing cocaine on the sidelines after that last miss.

I'm only Irish in my drinking habits. Bailey is just the right name for the right alcohol. God knows that kicker requires something stronger to swallow. Like Bacardi 151 or Everclear.

I'm pretty sure I saw Zimmer free-basing cocaine on the sidelines after that last miss.

Can you blame him?

When we know this -

1608071363420.png

I voted no. However if we win tonight we will be ranked.

Also I must admit I know next to nothing about basketball so my opinion isn't worth much.

I voted no. However if we win tonight we will be ranked.
Also I must admit I know next to nothing about basketball so my opinion isn't worth much.

Welcome and you're a perfect fit with this group, me especially. Most of us don't much either, despite our expert analysis.

I also think we'll win tonight when we win..

Call me crazy but yes, I think with our schedule we will be above 500 in the big with a key win or two in the next 30-40 days.....

Call me crazy but yes, I think with our schedule we will be above 500 in the big with a key win or two in the next 30-40 days.....
Sure, go 11-9, maybe win one game in the NCAA and finish behind the badgers in the standings for the what year in a row? Sure Pitino would get a five year pass for that.

We could be ranked in the next poll. Beat Michigan State Monday and what a start!

I held off and didn't vote until now. They'll be ranked going into the MSU game.

I held off and didn't vote until now. They'll be ranked going into the MSU game.
Beat MSU and it's a lock. If they had played Illinois closer I would agree, but that loss may still give voters some reservations.

Beat MSU and it's a lock. If they had played Illinois closer I would agree, but that loss may still give voters some reservations.

It shouldn't. 8-1 with a win over a St. Louis team that was sitting at #28 this past Monday (a day after we beat them) and now a win over #4.

It would be a complete sham for the AP voters not to rank this team.

It shouldn't. 8-1 with a win over a St. Louis team that was sitting at #28 this past Monday (a day after we beat them) and now a win over #4.

It would be a complete sham for the AP voters not to rank this team.
The fact that this was the only college basketball game played on primetime tonight should mean more voters saw it too.

Losses by top 25 teams earlier this week:

#7 West Virginia lost 79-65 at #3 Kansas
#17 North Carolina lost 79-76 at unranked NC State
#11 Rutgers lost 80-68 at #23 Ohio State
#22 Xavier lost 66-61 at #13 Creighton
#12 Michigan State lost 85-76 at home to #9 Wisconsin

I'm wondering if maybe not enough of the lower end of the top 25 lost to get us in. St. Louis seems like a good win, but also an unranked non-power conference team, so who knows if that will be considered noteworthy or not.

Tomorrow:

#18 Illinois is -6.5 against Indiana
#23 Ohio State is -3.5 at Northwestern

No ranked teams play on Sunday 12/27/20

If Ohio State loses, they may stay in, on the back of beating Rutgers this week. That also would put Northwestern at 6-1 with their second ranked win in a row, and might put the Wildcats into the top 25.

I'm wondering if maybe not enough of the lower end of the top 25 lost to get us in. St. Louis seems like a good win, but also an unranked non-power conference team, so who knows if that will be considered noteworthy or not.

Tomorrow:

If Ohio State loses, they may stay in, on the back of beating Rutgers this week. That also would put Northwestern at 6-1 with their second ranked win in a row, and might put the Wildcats into the top 25.

Awesome that it's something we can actually worry about!

Awesome that it's something we can actually worry about!
People say that rankings are meaningless, and being ranked is a curse, and the Gophers always lose when they're ranked, but following rankings is an extra bit of enjoyment I get out of college basketball that I get to look forward to each week when the Gophers are good. It gets me more invested in the goings-on of the sport with teams other than the Gophers, things I don't really bother paying attention to when we're just praying to end up on the right side of the bubble (which we may still end up doing this year, to be fair).

Tomorrow:

This early in the season....teams are still going through the overranked/underranked carousel. A Gophers team that started ranked in the Top 25 to begin the season would probably be no lower than #15 after beating the #4 team in the nation. So I don't think it's unreasonable that the Iowa win propels us over some of the teams with more votes than us coming into the week.

Again....with St. Louis sitting at #28 currently....there's no justification for them being higher than us....considering that we handed them their only loss. And St. Louis absolutely deserves to be where they are. They've handed both LSU and NC State (the team that just beat #17 UNC) their only losses thus far.

It really boils down to this.....none of those teams in the lower half of the top-25 (apart from VT who beat Nova) have a more impressive win than the Gophers.

People say that rankings are meaningless, and being ranked is a curse, and the Gophers always lose when they're ranked, but following rankings is an extra bit of enjoyment I get out of college basketball that I get to look forward to each week when the Gophers are good. It gets me more invested in the goings-on of the sport with teams other than the Gophers, things I don't really bother paying attention to when we're just praying to end up on the right side of the bubble (which we may still end up doing this year, to be fair).

Personally, I think being ranked helps the perception of the program nationally and I think it also helps with parent's recruits as well.

And if I'm a teenage hoopster, I'm definitely happier that my future school is ranked vs. being unranked; the same also applies to this middle age fan.

Last edited:

Personally, I think being ranked helps the perception of the program nationally and I think it also helps with parent's recruits as well.

And if I'm a teenage hoopster, I'm definitely happier that my future school is ranked vs. being unranked; the same also applies to this middle age fan.
True but being ranked one or two weeks will not matter. Players and parents look for sustainability. When you stack it up against schools that are really successful so it is such a big thing for them . But there are so many other things to sell. Winning does open more eyes.

Top Bottom