Omersa - out for season

Hmmm. JO didn't really provide any sort of offense, and he played somewhat regularly. I'd like to think that, with some game time, SF would rebound at a higher rate and defend as well or better.

I didn’t think he should be getting a ton of minutes either. I don’t think we can say Freeman would defend better. JO wasn’t great defensively, but I can’t imagine he was playing over Freeman if Freeman was better.

No. We cannot shoot at Iowa's level...at any position.

We just scored 90 pts on a better defensive team. We can score it just fine. Got to slow them down a bit and not let their runs be too big and you can beat themselves. Again I let Garza go nuts . Throw multiple defenders at him in an attempt to wear him down. Then don’t let the Weiskamps and Bohannons beat you.

Omersa is a really good athlete and a good basketball player. He's not good enough to play at the B1G level. He can't play defense without fouling and his offense hasn't progressed. He hustles like crazy and he rebounds pretty well. The problem has been where do you play him? He's too small to play center and he can't play on the perimeter without fouling. When he was a freshman I would have guessed he would have been a little farther along by now. It's too bad it didn't work out.

We just scored 90 pts on a better defensive team. We can score it just fine. Got to slow them down a bit and not let their runs be too big and you can beat themselves. Again I let Garza go nuts . Throw multiple defenders at him in an attempt to wear him down. Then don’t let the Weiskamps and Bohannons beat you.
They scored 90 points because there were a million fouls in the last three minutes of the game and they hit their free throws. The gophers actually made very few baskets in the second half. That's a concern.

Excellent defense won the game.

We scored 90 on an undersized team that doesn't have a big man named Garza.
We will likely lose by 20 plus.

In my industry, you need energy, enthusiasm and passion for your work to even have a chance to succeed. Jarvis is going to kick a$$ regardless of what vocation he chooses. Good luck, kid!

On a side note, did somebody say ice fishing?

Career totals (if he doesn’t return to the team):
64 games (1 start), 632 minutes, 95 points, 128 rebounds, 110 fouls.

They scored 90 points because there were a million fouls in the last three minutes of the game and they hit their free throws. The gophers actually made very few baskets in the second half. That's a concern.

That's the gophers fault they kept getting fouled? FT's are points too. I'm still way more concerned about our defense and rebounding than our offense. I think their defense was improved yesterday. I wouldn't call it excellent because I consider defensive rebounding to be part of defending.

We scored 90 on an undersized team that doesn't have a big man named Garza.
We will likely lose by 20 plus.

Scored 90 on other teams too. Garza isn't intimidating as a defender. Don't disagree that we may lose by 20, but it'll be 110-90 lol.

Gophers FG% was solid. The stupid turnovers and return to selfish play were what held them back in the second half. Agreed their defense was good with the exception of blocking out on defensive glass and some lapses on backdoor cuts (Tre Williams a repeat offender).

I didn’t think he should be getting a ton of minutes either. I don’t think we can say Freeman would defend better. JO wasn’t great defensively, but I can’t imagine he was playing over Freeman if Freeman was better.
But he was getting minutes. So who else besides SF now?
I sure would like to see him on the floor for a couple minutes. See if he can be a positive. Will need him multiple times yet this season, IMO.

Scored 90 on other teams too. Garza isn't intimidating as a defender. Don't disagree that we may lose by 20, but it'll be 110-90 lol.
I think Iowa is better defensively than you give credit. Sure, they're not UVA pack line good on defense, but they also aren't Paul Westhead bad either.

I think Iowa is better defensively than you give credit. Sure, they're not UVA pack line good on defense, but they also aren't Paul Westhead bad either.
Numbers do not lie. Check out all their defensive stats under Fran. Bottom half of the conference, inept nationally.

Fran throws some wrinkles in to try and disrupt things, but they plan on just out scoring you. D is worse than ours most years

Fran throws some wrinkles in to try and disrupt things, but they plan on just out scoring you. D is worse than ours most years
The St. Louis press was remindful of when Iowa did that in 2017. The meltdown was worse against Iowa though. Dupree McBreyer was not the PG Carr is.

No doubt Iowa will press us, especially after watching St Louis. But the presses are very different and require the right offensive press break. If decisive you can dribble low at a 45 degree angle through Iowa’s hands up trap. But then attack...it should be 3 on 1 with Gach screaming down the wing attacking the rim. “Go ahead press us.” Iowa is not St Louis quick. Very different. Iowa wants you to over think it....force you to be deliberate...eat shot clock.

When teams press, they will continue to do so if you don’t shoot layups against it. They are gambling away from the basket...if you don’t make them pay by attacking the rim, why would they stop pressing?

You beat the press by making them guard the whole length of the floor...spacing.
You get the ball to the middle of the floor by passing and attack 3 on 1 or 3 on 2 or 2 on 1 depending!! Or you pass to your guy all alone under the basket but you have to extend the defense and occupy that defender‘s attention Or they creep up to top of the circle. You do Not back it out to half court if especially in the Gophers case it felt like they survived crossing half court. But they survived only to never make St L pay for selling out. If you are good enough to dribble through traps you gotta attack And make them pay for pressing. If they win in your dribble attempt it’s crushing, they have a 2 on zero layup.

People complaining about the refs ought to be saying prayers they kept calling fouls on St L. It isn’t often officiated like that. You can’t repeatedly put yourself in traps and hope the refs call fouls. Pass the ball. Attack the basket.

No doubt Iowa will press us, especially after watching St Louis. But the presses are very different and require the right offensive press break. If decisive you can dribble low at a 45 degree angle through Iowa’s hands up trap. But then attack...it should be 3 on 1 with Gach screaming down the wing attacking the rim. “Go ahead press us.” Iowa is not St Louis quick. Very different. Iowa wants you to over think it....force you to be deliberate...eat shot clock.

When teams press, they will continue to do so if you don’t shoot layups against it. They are gambling away from the basket...if you don’t make them pay by attacking the rim, why would they stop pressing?

You beat the press by making them guard the whole length of the floor...spacing.
You get the ball to the middle of the floor by passing and attack 3 on 1 or 3 on 2 or 2 on 1 depending!! Or you pass to your guy all alone under the basket but you have to extend the defense and occupy that defender‘s attention Or they creep up to top of the circle. You do Not back it out to half court if especially in the Gophers case it felt like they survived crossing half court. But they survived only to never make St L pay for selling out. If you are good enough to dribble through traps you gotta attack And make them pay for pressing. If they win in your dribble attempt it’s crushing, they have a 2 on zero layup.

People complaining about the refs ought to be saying prayers they kept calling fouls on St L. It isn’t often officiated like that. You can’t repeatedly put yourself in traps and hope the refs call fouls. Pass the ball. Attack the basket.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iowa won't press the Gophers consistently, unless they are down and trying to get back in. And let me tell ya something...Iowa won't be down.

Iowa won't press the Gophers consistently, unless they are down and trying to get back in. And let me tell ya something...Iowa won't be down.

I'd venture to say you'd see them 3/4 press with McCaffery on top especially if Carr and Mash are on the floor at the same time.

Could care less what defense Iowa runs. They use up so many of the allowed practice time on too many different defenses to get good at any of them.

Not disagreeing with your assessment. Have you been to a Fran practice? Did he do this at Sienna too? Was it learned when he was an Asst. at ND? I do agree that you really mix it up a ton if you are bad.

I'd venture to say you'd see them 3/4 press with McCaffery on top especially if Carr and Mash are on the floor at the same time.

I'd be STUNNED if Iowa pressed, even 3/4 court. They don't need to exert the energy. They may score 120

Not disagreeing with your assessment. Have you been to a Fran practice? Did he do this at Sienna too? Was it learned when he was an Asst. at ND? I do agree that you really mix it up a ton if you are bad.
I have not been to a practice. But i know he worshipped Digger and Digger thought yoy could just out score people by being prolific on offense. Watching his teams over the years i have seen games where they run 6-7 different defenses. Practices are limited by time rules and what you choose to work on their is critical. In my opinion you can not get great at anything without doing it all the time. He is under .500 in the conference with a huge sample size. Far too many nights where is your shooting is off and you only get to 66 but you give up 75 . You must have a defense that steals games for you when your offense is not enough. Also easier to always be great on defense than always shooting well.

UVA. Well, It is embarrassing how long uva has been simply ignoring their racist past. Let’s hope the new uw president has the guts to move the rock off campus.

I'd be STUNNED if Iowa pressed, even 3/4 court. They don't need to exert the energy. They may score 120

Just because they will be up by a bunch? Fran won't hold back if he thinks he can score more pressing he will do it. I could see him wanting to wear Carr out.

Just because they will be up by a bunch? Fran won't hold back if he thinks he can score more pressing he will do it. I could see him wanting to wear Carr out.

Correct. They aren't going to waste the energy when they are up a ton and know we can't stop them. Whatever the record is for points in a Big Ten game, Garza may break it.

I have not been to a practice. But i know he worshipped Digger and Digger thought yoy could just out score people by being prolific on offense. Watching his teams over the years i have seen games where they run 6-7 different defenses. Practices are limited by time rules and what you choose to work on their is critical. In my opinion you can not get great at anything without doing it all the time. He is under .500 in the conference with a huge sample size. Far too many nights where is your shooting is off and you only get to 66 but you give up 75 . You must have a defense that steals games for you when your offense is not enough. Also easier to always be great on defense than always shooting well.
BADGER knows.

BADGER's opinion about others.

YOU HYPOCRITE. FRAUD.

Top Bottom