Omersa - out for season

UVA. Well, It is embarrassing how long uva has been simply ignoring their racist past. Let’s hope the new uw president has the guts to move the rock off campus.
Horrific past but present leaders have committed to untity and growth. look at who has been hired, who are the leaders, how they reacted to Charlottsville intruders, how they have taken down symbols. Do you even follow what President Ryan has done, what Carla Williams has done, what Bennett has always done from from the diversity of childhood friends, to donations of time and money to diversity. You do understand our own sorbid past of the land we built our university, our lack of diversity right. As a minority i can see the need for improvement everywhere, especially here in one of the most segregated CITIES in the US. We all want growth. In my lifetime i have seen tremendous progress on these issues.

Last edited:

Horrific past but present leaders have committed to untity and growth. look at who has been hired, who are the leaders, how they reacted to Charlottsville intruders, how they have taken down symbols. Do you even follow what President Ryan has done, what Carla Williams has done, what Bennett has always done from from the diversity of childhood friends, to donations of time and money to diversity. You do understand our own sorbid past of the land we built our university, our lack of diversity right. As a minority i can see the need for improvement everywhere, especially here in one of the most segregated CITIES in the US. We all want growth. In my lifetime i have seen tremendous progress on these issues.
You should know that nothing spaulding says on this board is genuine, he is remarkably consistent. Also, using the word segregated to describe Minneapolis implies forced division. There are certainly historical reasons why the city demographics sit as they do, but segregated is hardly a word I would ever use to describe this city.

Could care less what defense Iowa runs. They use up so many of the allowed practice time on too many different defenses to get good at any of them.
Dean Smith utilized multiple defenses. His numbering system made it very simple for his players to give the opponent varied looks. He was pretty successful. How well you teach, how efficient your practices are and how sound your system is determines the results.
One part of the multiple defense philosophy is that you spend all your practice time preparing for those multiple looks and you ignore your fundamental needs to stop us or exploit us.

I’m not defending Fran. I’m defending multiple defenses as a strategy. It always comes down to execution .... coaching.

Iowa won't press the Gophers consistently, unless they are down and trying to get back in. And let me tell ya something...Iowa won't be down.
Ya, it’s a tempo changer, slow you down, burn shot clock but at intermittent times. Maybe forcing you to use a time out. Disrupt your flow. Something to spend practice time on preparing for. Just something to mess with you...not a primary component at all for Iowa.

Dean Smith utilized multiple defenses. His numbering system made it very simple for his players to give the opponent varied looks. He was pretty successful. How well you teach, how efficient your practices are and how sound your system is determines the results.
One part of the multiple defense philosophy is that you spend all your practice time preparing for those multiple looks and you ignore your fundamental needs to stop us or exploit us.

I’m not defending Fran. I’m defending multiple defenses as a strategy. It always comes down to execution .... coaching.
Dean Smith also ran 4 corners. He had better players that were gifted and he did not have the practice limitation rules they have now.

No doubt Iowa will press us, especially after watching St Louis. But the presses are very different and require the right offensive press break. If decisive you can dribble low at a 45 degree angle through Iowa’s hands up trap. But then attack...it should be 3 on 1 with Gach screaming down the wing attacking the rim. “Go ahead press us.” Iowa is not St Louis quick. Very different. Iowa wants you to over think it....force you to be deliberate...eat shot clock.

When teams press, they will continue to do so if you don’t shoot layups against it. They are gambling away from the basket...if you don’t make them pay by attacking the rim, why would they stop pressing?

You beat the press by making them guard the whole length of the floor...spacing.
You get the ball to the middle of the floor by passing and attack 3 on 1 or 3 on 2 or 2 on 1 depending!! Or you pass to your guy all alone under the basket but you have to extend the defense and occupy that defender‘s attention Or they creep up to top of the circle. You do Not back it out to half court if especially in the Gophers case it felt like they survived crossing half court. But they survived only to never make St L pay for selling out. If you are good enough to dribble through traps you gotta attack And make them pay for pressing. If they win in your dribble attempt it’s crushing, they have a 2 on zero layup.

People complaining about the refs ought to be saying prayers they kept calling fouls on St L. It isn’t often officiated like that. You can’t repeatedly put yourself in traps and hope the refs call fouls. Pass the ball. Attack the basket.

Iowa's roster isn't built to press us like SLU did.

My take on Omersa: I always appreciated his positivity & team spirit, which is why I'm dissapointed he quit mid-season. Ryan James is a gentleman and a fan, so he doesn't want to get into the details, but it sounds like this is about his lack of playing time. He's watching Ihnen's stock rise & understands Johnson will be back from the injury soon. He's basically now the 5th big, or 3rd PF & that doesn't look like it'll change any time soon. Covid appears to be his get-out-of-jail free card to transfer. Ryan James says he's got very, very good friends at St Thomas & loves being here in the TC. At UST he could probably play football, plus hoops, with friends & stay close to home. I don't begrudge him that, I just wish he would have played out the season & ended things the right way.

You should know that nothing spaulding says on this board is genuine, he is remarkably consistent. Also, using the word segregated to describe Minneapolis implies forced division. There are certainly historical reasons why the city demographics sit as they do, but segregated is hardly a word I would ever use to describe this city.
Oh it’s genuine. both uva and uw have racism Issues that are ever present. #timesup

Well said.

My take on Omersa: I always appreciated his positivity & team spirit, which is why I'm dissapointed he quit mid-season. Ryan James is a gentleman and a fan, so he doesn't want to get into the details, but it sounds like this is about his lack of playing time. He's watching Ihnen's stock rise & understands Johnson will be back from the injury soon. He's basically now the 5th big, or 3rd PF & that doesn't look like it'll change any time soon. Covid appears to be his get-out-of-jail free card to transfer. Ryan James says he's got very, very good friends at St Thomas & loves being here in the TC. At UST he could probably play football, plus hoops, with friends & stay close to home. I don't begrudge him that, I just wish he would have played out the season & ended things the right way.
So he could sit on the bench and cheer the team on?

Nah. I'm good with him doing him. I think you're correct on the rest of it. Wish him best of luck!

FCS is doing a spring season, not sure if Pioneer teams are though. If they are, wonder if Omersa will try to play football right away this spring? Maybe needs a bit more time to train ...

If he's going to be an end, he I'm sure will need to work a lot on his punch and blocking technique and/or defensive line shedding moves.

If he's thinking he's just going to be a guy that runs out and outjumps and catches passes, and won't do the rest of it, he might be in for a rude awakening with Caruso.

Top Bottom