Omersa - out for season

It was pretty clear over the course of the past few games...that Omersa was getting phased out. He's got great energy and appears to be a great teammate...but he's just not playing at a level that warrants anything more than cleanup minutes.

It was pretty clear over the course of the past few games...that Omersa was getting phased out. He's got great energy and appears to be a great teammate...but he's just not playing at a level that warrants anything more than cleanup minutes.
He just isn’t graceful enough to play high major basketball at a high level. At a mid or low major he could dominate athletically and get away with his lack of skill and gracefulness

Was ice fishing and didnt see this.
Weird.
If he transfers—where on earth would he go?

I think he’d play but I don’t think he’d dominate the Summit or anything. He is offensively challenged.
Yeah I don’t think he would dominate. He would be a really good 5th-7th man on a mid major in the middle of their conference or a low major near the top.
He always looks his best when matched up against unathletic teams

Sucks he opted out, but if he transfers then it opens up a spot for Holmgren and he'd have no reason not to come here 🤞

Why not? Specifically.
For one I don’t think we need to go that deep unless we are up a bunch or sadly we are in terrible foul trouble. I like Freeman’s size and I think he’s a good rebounder. I am worried that he’s non factor offensively and still too slow to defend in the B1G especially if he gets pulled out on the perimeter.

You would have thought that he would have given that a lot of thought before the season. Makes me think may be more to it than that.

The story in the Strib has his quote that says he is doing it "due to personal health concerns around COVID-19". Can't really control when COVID impacts your life.

I hope he opted out because Pitino told him that Mutaf was getting his minutes for the rest of the year....
Hosea Crittenden is going to be jealous of Mutaf by the time this year is over.

You would have thought that he would have given that a lot of thought before the season. Makes me think may be more to it than that.
Between the lines, I do agree it seems maybe someone in his family has or is at high risk for COVID and he's choosing to limit exposure so he can be with them.

Between the lines, I do agree it seems maybe someone in his family has or is at high risk for COVID and he's choosing to limit exposure so he can be with them.
Yeah.
could be anything.
Someone could’ve gotten it.
Someone could’ve gotten diagnosed with cancer or type 2 diabetes

nobody has any idea except him and the people he has told

Yeah.
could be anything.
Someone could’ve gotten it.
Someone could’ve gotten diagnosed with cancer or type 2 diabetes

nobody has any idea except him and the people he has told
Doesn't really matter. Not our business. I was sort of counting on him to be the energy for the bench with no fans...but they seemed pretty into it tonight .

Aren’t players not suppose to be around their families anyways?

Sorry to see Jarvis leave and hope he is able to come back next year. If not, I wish him the best on his next journey. Great team guy full of positive energy who will be missed.

Seems like a great kid and has one hell of a vertical but unfortunately no basketball skill. Also doesn’t have good enough hands to be a decent rebounder. Seems like he would be a better fit at a lower level of competition.

Seems like a great kid and has one hell of a vertical but unfortunately no basketball skill. Also doesn’t have good enough hands to be a decent rebounder. Seems like he would be a better fit at a lower level of competition.

Yes, he was slipping down the depth chart but still an important guy to have in the locker room and on the practice floor. Hard to find minutes with Johnson, Curry, Robbins, and the emergence of Ihnen, who has incredible hands and a lot of upside.

Good cheerleader but lack of talent as a basketball player.

This is just speculation on my end, but from the outside it seems like Jarvis is a very social guy. The Covid-19 restrictions for the basketball team are probably putting quite a damper on his interactions with others. I am not talking about partying, just being able to interact with other people outside of basketball. A few games ago, he clearly slipped behind Ihnen in the rotation and now was only playing when two of Robbins/Johnson/Ihnen/Curry could not be on the floor so he essentially was the 5th big. I remarked that I was very impressed by his attitude when this happened and stand by those comments as he was energetic and supportive during timeouts and played hard when he did get in the game. Maybe he just decided that barely playing was not incentive enough to not be able to socialize like a normal college kid for months on end. Also, I feel like we all forget sometimes that not everyone loves the sport they play. Jarvis is around 6'6 and can jump out of the gym. Basketball was there for him whether he wanted it or not. That's not to say it is the case with Jarvis but it would explain why he's pretty much the same guy he was as a Freshman.

I don't really care what the reason is other than hoping that Jarvis or his loved ones are not dealing with a serious Covid-19 case. He doesn't owe me anything and I support his decision like I am sure the vast majority of GopherHole posters do.

Top Bottom