***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MARYLAND VALENTINES DAY IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

That was a really weird game ... offense had almost no flow and guys just putting up shots like it was played at the YMCA. Defense was pretty much YMCA level too.

Guys hit some shots to get closer than I thought possible and then Marcus comes back in to kill any chance.

To be clear, I am not blaming Marcus. This is blaming Pitino ... he is possibly the most unprepared coach in D1.

Defense was pretty much YMCA level too.
I believe Robbins sitting basically the whole first half did have something to do with the defensive breakdowns in the lane. Robbins is generally a very good help defender. Ihnen doesn't have enough playing time this season, Curry didn't have a very good game and Johnson wasn't as effective either. Some of those things contributed to really bad first half defense at times, I think. They were better in the 2nd half.

In the past, he's said each assistant is assigned a game to plan for on a rotation. I'm not sure who did this game, but ugh.
I wonder what that really means and do you really think that still takes place? I can't imagine being on the perpetual hot seat year in year out, that you'd want others putting together a plan for a game that might be your last.

I guess you can tell he's not the control freak that really good coaches are... perhaps that's his issue (or at least one on his pretty long list). Too much input from others means there really isn't a comprehensive game plan he sticks with and that the players understand and play towards. All I can say is that whatever the plan is (if there is one..), the games seem to always turn into games I used to participate in with my buddies on Wednesday night's at Blaine high school 20+ years ago.

I wonder if that's because Pitino doesn't seem to ever strategize for a specific game or opponent. He does the same thing every game regardless of who the opponent is or what the situation is OR how important the game might be.

Isn't that the definition of insanity?
To be fair, Tubby got his ass handed to him as well. I recall a game where Turgeon ran the same play 6 times in a row with the same result...a dunk. It was brutal.

P
You two can be assholes to each other and it doesn’t take a college kid to be in the middle to try and make it relevant. Don’t use kids!

Whoever is talking shit about Gabe after he missed 1 three needs to choke on a sausage. He scored on his other putback and now he is going to the line. Get a clue about the game.
LOL

Those maroon glasses must be cutting of the circulation to your brain.

LOL

Those maroon glasses must be cutting of the circulation to your brain.
He is the biggest tool on this board....Funny how he disappeared on the game thread when they were getting their butts whooped......I'm sure he will be on here talking about how great Pitino is after they beat a terrible Northwestern team for their next win in a couple weeks.

Enjoy anything else we get this year, cuz next year is gonna be really bad.

One year at a time, one year at a time. After the historically terrible year of 2016, most didn't think 2017 would be as good as it was. Following the best season in many years, most didn't think 2018 would be as terrible as it was. Of course, Pitino has yet to have two consecutive good years so if this season ends fairly well, a bad season next year would fit the pattern.

One indicator of good coaching is the adjustments a staff makes the second time you play a team. I did not watch the whole game, but it seemed very similar to the first contest with Maryland. Maryland was pretty much able to do anything they wanted in the half court offense. I believe you win with man to man, but maybe a zone steals you 5 minutes of some indecisive offense. Or you pick up full court just to increase tempo and get the boys moving. But we don't see many changes to the plan. You would think 0-7 or whatever it is on the road would prompt some adjustments.

things i hated.....
Robbins getting in early foul trouble
It taking 17 minutes of Curry playing for Pitino to realize is just isnt a good matchup for Curry
Not giving Freeman some minutes because of the foul trouble
It took us 28 attempts to make 8 3's

Things i liked.
Johnson and Ihnen on the court together
Ihnen's O-boards and all around game
Fighting back to get it to a 6 point game
Masburn jump shot. He missed a few last night but hes going to be a bucket getter for us (if we can convince him to stay).

I didn't watch any of the 2nd half. Turned volleyball on, great match. Looks like I missed very little. On to the next one!
Actually they had it down to 6 but a dagger 3 on a prayer , after they had played really good D to force it, broke the their back for good .

They flat out just did not come out ready to play. This has been mostly how it has gone on the road this season. Get in a big hole early. And I mean early, like within the games first 5-6 minutes.

There has to be a more concerted effort to get high quality makeable shots early in games. 3 point baskets for this team just aren't it. Shoot a few in rhythm, or when you get some inside out, but the dribbling around and one pass to the wing 3 point chuck is just a terrible shot that should earn bench time.

I don't know, Robbins was terrible this game. He got pushed around very easily and was actually better off on the bench. I like what I see from Brandon Johnson. The kid plays hard. The rest of the team needs to follow his lead. We are not good enough to give a 75% effort and win games.

Also, I'm just about done with hoping Carr will be able to just facilitate.

Let's face it, he needs to score 20-25 for us to win. Just run the offense around him 100% from here on out. Get the ball moving and in his hands on a reversal and let him attack. Take him off the ball if you must and start Mashburn.

things i hated.....
Robbins getting in early foul trouble
It taking 17 minutes of Curry playing for Pitino to realize is just isnt a good matchup for Curry
Not giving Freeman some minutes because of the foul trouble
It took us 28 attempts to make 8 3's

Things i liked.
Johnson and Ihnen on the court together
Ihnen's O-boards and all around game
Fighting back to get it to a 6 point game
Masburn jump shot. He missed a few last night but hes going to be a bucket getter for us (if we can convince him to stay).
Good stuff!

We get out rebounded almost every game and our shooting percentage is poor. I would go with Johnson and Ihnen together to beef up the boards. Ihnen is the best rebounder we have....outside of Freeman who doesn't play. Set up Ihnen in the high post and plant Robbins 2 feet from the basket- where he should be.

Start Mashburn instead of Williams and play him 30 minutes.

Freeman should be the backup to Robbins, not Curry. Curry is not a good matchup for anyone due to his loss of mobility. There is no excuse for a wide body like him not playing 10-15 minutes a game with Robbins' foul problems and our miserable rebounding and interior defense.

Cut back Carr's minutes until he plays defense and thinks in terms of team offense. He is a great player but not a team player. He plays losing basketball, a lot. Yes, he has the ability to make winning plays, but there is so much about how he plays that is damaging to a team effort.

This team shouldn't shoot more than 15 threes a game. They are an awful shooting group. When I think about this team, I wonder how a team that shoots so bad and rebounds so poorly has won 13 games, at least 5 against ranked teams..... what a weird team. Something about the chemistry of this team is way off. The disappearance of Gach. The huge Gabe and Ihnen slumps from 3 point range. The wild swings in play from Robbins, who on one night looks all Big Ten and then looks like a mid major bench player at times lacking the awareness to hold the ball high, making stupid fouls...

Top Bottom