***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MARYLAND VALENTINES DAY IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Fair enough, I applaud your patience and positivity. I am trying to enjoy the season but I find myself more frustrated than I am happy with it despite us having a good shot at the tourney.

For me the ship has sailed with RP. Another question, you mentioned making a judgment at the end of the season... so you are not CERTAIN that Pitino is the problem and needs to go? Is this still up for debate with you? I’d like to hear your thoughts on this as well. I genuinely want the perspective of someone in the other side. (I’m sure you have shared elsewhere at some point)

I guess I have many doubts on whether Pitino is right for the job. The in-state recruiting is a bummer, but he has found some very good out of state guys during his time. More frustrated with the lack of preparation or execution some games and the inconsistency.

The 5 ranked wins (tied for most in school history) have given me some optimism this year. Those wins far outweigh losing to NET Top 35 teams on the road. The Gophers have never been a great road team (other than 1997).

I guess my hope was that this team was turning the corner with the Michigan win. Clearly its been all over the place since then. If we can win 3-4 of these last 5 and win a tourney game or two, I'd probably be on the fence on my direction after the season.

I trust Coyle to make the right decision after the season. If he can make a home run hire like PJ, I'd of course be psyched. I guess after all the sloppy hiring processes we saw under Maturi though, I'm not trained to expect that to happen. I would be concerned about potentially losing Mashburn, Williams, Robbins to transfer if we let Pitino go. But I guess if we make a change, we are accepting a couple down rebuilding years.

In the end, I'm just not at the point that I'm going to let any hope for a coaching change overshadow hopefully enjoying a run to the tournament this year. Unfortunately, there are a fair amount of people on here who literally CANNOT ENJOY A WIN as they are so busy tripping over themselves trying to criticize our coach for any and everything.

Hopefully that explains my perspective more...

I guess I have many doubts on whether Pitino is right for the job. The in-state recruiting is a bummer, but he has found some very good out of state guys during his time. More frustrated with the lack of preparation or execution some games and the inconsistency.

The 5 ranked wins (tied for most in school history) have given me some optimism this year. Those wins far outweigh losing to NET Top 35 teams on the road. The Gophers have never been a great road team (other than 1997).

I guess my hope was that this team was turning the corner with the Michigan win. Clearly its been all over the place since then. If we can win 3-4 of these last 5 and win a tourney game or two, I'd probably be on the fence on my direction after the season.

I trust Coyle to make the right decision after the season. If he can make a home run hire like PJ, I'd of course be psyched. I guess after all the sloppy hiring processes we saw under Maturi though, I'm not trained to expect that to happen. I would be concerned about potentially losing Mashburn, Williams, Robbins to transfer if we let Pitino go. But I guess if we make a change, we are accepting a couple down rebuilding years.

In the end, I'm just not at the point that I'm going to let any hope for a coaching change overshadow hopefully enjoying a run to the tournament this year. Unfortunately, there are a fair amount of people on here who literally CANNOT ENJOY A WIN as they are so busy tripping over themselves trying to criticize our coach for any and everything.

Hopefully that explains my perspective more...
Thanks Writer for sharing. You make some fair points and I do understand where you are coming from. I agree there is some middle ground where you need to enjoy a win even if you don’t like the coach.

I am in the camp that wants Pitino gone next year for anything less than a final four run yet I still try and enjoy a big win. For me, it’s simple, Pitino comes back and I drop my season tickets. I will still watch and cheer for them to win but I won’t financially support the program anymore.

Thanks Writer for sharing. You make some fair points and I do understand where you are coming from. I agree there is some middle ground where you need to enjoy a win even if you don’t like the coach.

I am in the camp that wants Pitino gone next year for anything less than a final four run yet I still try and enjoy a big win. For me, it’s simple, Pitino comes back and I drop my season tickets. I will still watch and cheer for them to win but I won’t financially support the program anymore.

And I'm sure Coyle will factor the possibility of how many fans there may be like you when he makes his decision.

And I'm sure Coyle will factor the possibility of how many fans there may be like you when he makes his decision.

I think that is impossible to quantify. Maybe not. I may get rid of my tickets but not due to Pitino. Not like we all get emails with a survey about Pitino.

I think that is impossible to quantify. Maybe not. I may get rid of my tickets but not due to Pitino. Not like we all get emails with a survey about Pitino.

Yeah, I just meant more the emails he receives with fans threatening such (cause we know he does get those) and moreso the perceived numbers of how he thinks keeping a coach would impact season tickets. I'll admit, barring a run to the Elite 8 or deeper (or winning out in the regular season), there probably isn't a lot that improves the season ticket numbers for next year if Pitino stays.

Given that, how much can Coyle afford to make a change given COVID impacts based on season ticket fluctuations? I'd say that is probably answered with whether he knows he has a "PJ-like" hire he believes he can make.

Yeah, I just meant more the emails he receives with fans threatening such (cause we know he does get those) and moreso the perceived numbers of how he thinks keeping a coach would impact season tickets. I'll admit, barring a run to the Elite 8 or deeper (or winning out in the regular season), there probably isn't a lot that improves the season ticket numbers for next year if Pitino stays.

Given that, how much can Coyle afford to make a change given COVID impacts based on season ticket fluctuations? I'd say that is probably answered with whether he knows he has a "PJ-like" hire he believes he can make.

I think making a sweet sixteen and word from Carr and Robbins that they are returning and there would be lots of tickets sold. I am not of the belief that people wouldn't want to give him another chance should those things happen.

That said, I just don't see it. We are not efficient enough on offense, don't shoot well enough, or rebound well. These things make it hard to be consistent. And that is all I think people are looking for is consistency.

To act like this game isn't a coin flip is silly. IF we can play like we did at Rutgers, I think we can win this game.

With all due respect WG, this is simply not true. FPI gives Indiana a 70% chance to win this one. The Gophers are 0-7 on the road this year. Minnesota is severely outmatched down low against IU. This isn't a "coin toss". IU is heavily favored. Is there a small chance the Gophers could win? Sure. It's college basketball. But I'm not sure you could argue anything besides that this game is completely Indiana's to lose.

With all due respect WG, this is simply not true. FPI gives Indiana a 70% chance to win this one. The Gophers are 0-7 on the road this year. Minnesota is severely outmatched down low against IU. This isn't a "coin toss". IU is heavily favored. Is there a small chance the Gophers could win? Sure. It's college basketball. But I'm not sure you could argue anything besides that this game is completely Indiana's to lose.

Those are good points. I just think Indiana has been nearly as inconsistent at home as we have been on the road. I will still be surprised if we win, given our road struggles. But I think it will be much closer than Maryland

The additional problem Coyle has this year is that thousands have now broken the habit of buying Gopher season tickets due to Covid. Many, like myself have purchased them routinely for 30 or more years. I will continue to do so. However, many will say that they were fine this year just watching on TV and not having to battle for a parking spot. Without a jolt of optimism or the infusion of new blood, the season tickets will be a VERY tough sell next year.

The additional problem Coyle has this year is that thousands have now broken the habit of buying Gopher season tickets due to Covid. Many, like myself have purchased them routinely for 30 or more years. I will continue to do so. However, many will say that they were fine this year just watching on TV and not having to battle for a parking spot. Without a jolt of optimism or the infusion of new blood, the season tickets will be a VERY tough sell next year.

I moved further away and had a kid. Hard to justify 8pm tipoffs for kids for a while. $1500 + parking + time to watch a team finish under .500 in the conference is a very tough sell indeed

I moved further away and had a kid. Hard to justify 8pm tipoffs for kids for a while. $1500 + parking + time to watch a team finish under .500 in the conference is a very tough sell indeed

Curious if you also had football season tickets? If so, what did you decide about retaining them?

Curious if you also had football season tickets? If so, what did you decide about retaining them?

I do not have them. We make it to 2-4 home games per year typically. Weekends get busy and we don’t have friends that go so not a real social thing for us.

The Gophers have been inconsistent on the road?

I dont think that word means what you think it means.
The Gophers have been very VERY consistent on the road!

Problem is, that consistency is a lot like gophers in southern Minnesota, ROAD KILL!

Top Bottom