***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MARYLAND VALENTINES DAY IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Win on Wednesday and Saturday and this one is quite easily forgotten.
Why do we want to forget what a shitty coach Pitino is?

All that does is insure more like this one in the future.

Eff that.

Not a potshot, a direct comment on most people thinking Turgeon is better. Maryland would not trade him for Pitino. Quit stalking.
No need to even mention it. Most fans would think Turgeon is a better coach. Why would you even go there? One reason, Badger .........

Stop potshot ting

They flat out just did not come out ready to play. This has been mostly how it has gone on the road this season. Get in a big hole early. And I mean early, like within the games first 5-6 minutes.

There has to be a more concerted effort to get high quality makeable shots early in games. 3 point baskets for this team just aren't it. Shoot a few in rhythm, or when you get some inside out, but the dribbling around and one pass to the wing 3 point chuck is just a terrible shot that should earn bench time.

I don't know, Robbins was terrible this game. He got pushed around very easily and was actually better off on the bench. I like what I see from Brandon Johnson. The kid plays hard. The rest of the team needs to follow his lead. We are not good enough to give a 75% effort and win games.
How could a group of kids NOT come ready to play, after getting their asses kicked by this same team a short time ago? No pride? Dont care? I dont get it.

Totally agree with your second paragraph. If Mash can continue to make midrange shots, take them.

Robbins was terrible both times against MD. Why did RP not do something different yesterday? It defies logic! Same result - get down big within 5-8 minutes.

I think Ihnen and Johnson should play together more, and add in Mash. That makes three. Ihnen - would love to see him get in position on the block, even a bit further out, and do a turnaround J. He is tall and long enough to go over damn near anyone. Work the dribble like Robbins does, and see what happens.

Would you like to lay some $$ on the Wed game, writer?

I didn't say I was betting on the Gophers. I just said if we win both this week, the Maryland loss will be far in the rear view mirror - and we would certainly be a near-lock for the tournament. The fact remains though, if we win out at home, we are also in the tourney.

As far as Indiana, they have been just about as inconsistent as the Gophers. But other than beating Iowa twice, they lack the quality wins we have. Indiana is definitely not a powerhouse at home. They have lost 3 of their last 4 on their own court and they needed 2OT to beat a NW team (on the road) in a free fall.

To act like this game isn't a coin flip is silly. IF we can play like we did at Rutgers, I think we can win this game.

How could a group of kids NOT come ready to play, after getting their asses kicked by this same team a short time ago? No pride? Dont care? I dont get it.

I don't know. I really don't. I think maybe the focus more than the effort isn't there. By now, we should know we need layups in order to win games as our shooting is one of the worst in the conference and possibly nation.

If I were Richie Rich I would tell this team not a 3 point shot should be taken until we make 3-4 Fgs first.

Ball inside, cut, move pass set some picks. Lets go already, rarely do we see any picks set unless they are ball screens, embarrasing.

Win on Wednesday and Saturday and this one is quite easily forgotten.
Maybe for you, I won’t forget the rotten start, bad shot selection etc. This team has no consistency, no ability to counter for some reason. He does not make in game adjustments.

I didn't say I was betting on the Gophers. I just said if we win both this week, the Maryland loss will be far in the rear view mirror - and we would certainly be a near-lock for the tournament. The fact remains though, if we win out at home, we are also in the tourney.

As far as Indiana, they have been just about as inconsistent as the Gophers. But other than beating Iowa twice, they lack the quality wins we have. Indiana is definitely not a powerhouse at home. They have lost 3 of their last 4 on their own court and they needed 2OT to beat a NW team (on the road) in a free fall.

To act like this game isn't a coin flip is silly. IF we can play like we did at Rutgers, I think we can win this game.
Huh.

Until this team plays well enough to win on the road, road games are not a coin flip - none of them.

Maybe for you, I won’t forget the rotten start, bad shot selection etc. This team has no consistency, no ability to counter for some reason. He does not make in game adjustments.

How do you explain us getting back in the game and cutting it down to 6 with 3 minutes left? Sheer luck? Pretty sure he played different players in the 2nd half. Last time I checked, that's usually considered an in-game adjustment by a coach, no? Or since its Pitino, I guess those players probably just subbed themselves in and decided to stay on the court.

There's between a 9% and 16% chance of them winning both games.

Like I said earlier, win both and we are a near-lock for the tourney. Win 1 of 2 and we are still on path for 16 wins and a lock. Win none and its basically a win-out scenario.

How do you explain us getting back in the game and cutting it down to 6 with 3 minutes left? Sheer luck? Pretty sure he played different players in the 2nd half. Last time I checked, that's usually considered an in-game adjustment by a coach, no? Or since its Pitino, I guess those players probably just subbed themselves in and decided to stay on the court.
So you thought Pitino made adequate half time adjustments? I am truly curious. He is the worst in-game coach I have seen in my time watching gopher hoops. Maybe I’m missing something?

Why did he wait so long to do it???? Jesus they were down 20 in the first half and he watched it happen. He’s your guy though, not mine anymore. I was willing to give him the chance, but that has long since passed.

So you thought Pitino made adequate half time adjustments? I am truly curious. He is the worst in-game coach I have seen in my time watching gopher hoops. Maybe I’m missing something?

Like I said in the start of the game, this was the first Big Ten game I had to miss some of this year due to V Day dinner with the lady. So I didn't get to watch the 2nd half. I did however see that Mashburn and Ihnen got a lot of run in the 2nd half. To me, that appears to be an adjustment. I guess I'm just unclear on what counts as an adjustment with this board and what doesn't. So playing different players and them closing the gap doesn't count as an adjustment, but calling different plays does?

Look, I'm not advocating for a Pitino extension. As I said ad nauseum last week, I'll enjoy this season game by game and make a judgment at the end of it. But there are so many double standards for Pitino on this board, its amusing. The goal posts are always moving. I'm gonna call the BS when I see it until the season is over.

Why did he wait so long to do it???? Jesus they were down 20 in the first half and he watched it happen. He’s your guy though, not mine anymore. I was willing to give him the chance, but that has long since passed.

See above post. He is not MY guy. I'm a fan of the University. I'm just not going to try and find a fault in everything he does - including beating ranked teams, like at least 40% of the posters on here were after beating Purdue last week. Dont you think thats a bit of a silly look?

They obviously didn't have a great gameplan yesterday and didn't appear to use what happened in the first game to prepare. Definitely criticize him for that.

Like I said in the start of the game, this was the first Big Ten game I had to miss some of this year due to V Day dinner with the lady. So I didn't get to watch the 2nd half. I did however see that Mashburn and Ihnen got a lot of run in the 2nd half. To me, that appears to be an adjustment. I guess I'm just unclear on what counts as an adjustment with this board and what doesn't. So playing different players and them closing the gap doesn't count as an adjustment, but calling different plays does?

Look, I'm not advocating for a Pitino extension. As I said ad nauseum last week, I'll enjoy this season game by game and make a judgment at the end of it. But there are so many double standards for Pitino on this board, its amusing. The goal posts are always moving. I'm gonna call the BS when I see it until the season is over.
Double standards lol....
The guy is 54-90 in the B10....Any other power 5 coach would have been fired by now with that conference record.

But there are so many double standards for Pitino on this board, its amusing. The goal posts are always moving.
LOL.

"Moving goalposts."

Let's go back and review what your predictions have been for the Gophers this season, shall we?

For the record, you're now down to "we can still pull an upset or two and squeek into a bottom dweller seed in the tournament despite finishing nearer the bottom than the top, yet again, in the B1G! Yeaa baby!!"

I wonder what that really means and do you really think that still takes place? I can't imagine being on the perpetual hot seat year in year out, that you'd want others putting together a plan for a game that might be your last.

I guess you can tell he's not the control freak that really good coaches are... perhaps that's his issue (or at least one on his pretty long list). Too much input from others means there really isn't a comprehensive game plan he sticks with and that the players understand and play towards. All I can say is that whatever the plan is (if there is one..), the games seem to always turn into games I used to participate in with my buddies on Wednesday night's at Blaine high school 20+ years ago.
I've been thinking about this. It's wrapped up in the art of head coaching, which relatively few do well. Belichick got fired in Cleveland largely due to his control freak ways, but he found a way to control that tendency and turn it to his favor in his next job, designing a system where he can be very involved but still have others do most of the work.

Fair enough, I applaud your patience and positivity. I am trying to enjoy the season but I find myself more frustrated than I am happy with it despite us having a good shot at the tourney.

For me the ship has sailed with RP. Another question, you mentioned making a judgment at the end of the season... so you are not CERTAIN that Pitino is the problem and needs to go? Is this still up for debate with you? I’d like to hear your thoughts on this as well. I genuinely want the perspective of someone in the other side. (I’m sure you have shared elsewhere at some point)

I told you guys we had no chance against Maryland.

You need to move on.

I also believe we have no chance at Indiana. Mark that one down as well.

I told you guys we had no chance against Maryland.

You need to move on.

I also believe we have no chance at Indiana. Mark that one down as well.
The last time I thought we had no chance at Indiana, Tubby's Gophers went in and beat them and Cody Zeller. I'm gonna keep hoping. It'll have a lot to do with Robbins' health.

The last time I thought we had no chance at Indiana, Tubby's Gophers went in and beat them and Cody Zeller. I'm gonna keep hoping. It'll have a lot to do with Robbins' health.
There goes my reverse psychology post effort! Way to go, Bad!

Did you think he looked injured against Maryland?

Top Bottom