***OFFICIAL MICHIGAN STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

It may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but how about CBJ's strategy for Malik Hall!? MSU seems to go as he goes.

He scored 5 points before the first TV timeout but only 6 points in the game. That double-team by Payne (mostly) totally rattled him and took Sparty out of their offensive flow.

Johnson has had some big-time 2nd half-adjustments in Ben Ten play. If they ever figure out how to avoid the long 1st half slump, these close victories will turn into 10-15 point wins.
It is crazy how different this team plays in the second half, has been that way all season. At this point the goal should just be to make sure the game is close at halftime and then go win it in the second.

Whatever it is they are seeing or doing at halftime is working.

It may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but how about CBJ's strategy for Malik Hall!? MSU seems to go as he goes.

He scored 5 points before the first TV timeout but only 6 points in the game. That double-team by Payne (mostly) totally rattled him and took Sparty out of their offensive flow.

Johnson has had some big-time 2nd half-adjustments in Ben Ten play. If they ever figure out how to avoid the long 1st half slump, these close victories will turn into 10-15 point wins.

Making adjustments to what the opponent is doing is a sign of good coaching.

It was. The Barn is back. Still around 10k tonight but we were up on our feet a lot of the last 10 minutes. Great, great defense tonight!
Agreed. It wasn't packed, but it was LOUD! Student section great. Awesome defense!

Is it just me or was Hawkins a bit hesitant to drive into the lane at times? Feel like MSU was giving him opportunities but he wasn’t taking them.

Is it just me or was Hawkins a bit hesitant to drive into the lane at times? Feel like MSU was giving him opportunities but he wasn’t taking them.
Hawkins and Garcia were both off tonight. Fox gave the team some huge minutes in the first half before Christie carried the team in the second. Has become a theme with this team where guys pick each other up when someone has an off night.

Anyone able to get the replay yet? I keep seeing "available soon"

Side note on Payne. I noticed he is developing a new free throw stance bending much lower and although he only shot 4-8 the misses were close...I think he is getting there and will end the season better. It's huge for him to shoot 60+% in order to keep him in close games. At the 7 second mark time was called and Ben hadn't taken him out, I was certain Izzo was going to hack him and send him to the line... but Ben got him out of there. It was ticklish because it still hadn't been called our ball yet when Ben subbed him out...

I’m not sure if I’ve seen a better big man run the floor than Payne! He’s freaky fast. Might be looking at a future lottery pick? And he was respectful at the FT line tonight! Go Gophers
Listen I don't mean to rain on the parade but as good as Payne is, he's not even remotely close to a lottery pick. Oturu was better in every single aspect of the game and he was a late 2nd who has barely hung on to the G league. The nba has 0 interest in a 6 9 guy who can't shoot outside of the lane. Again no knock on him as a college player just a fact

Listen I don't mean to rain on the parade but as good as Payne is, he's not even remotely close to a lottery pick. Oturu was better in every single aspect of the game and he was a late 2nd who has barely hung on to the G league. The nba has 0 interest in a 6 9 guy who can't shoot outside of the lane. Again no knock on him as a college player just a fact
Payne is a little better defensively, but otherwise I agree Payne has a long way to go to be an NBA player.
Payne is about where Oturu was in year one, right now.

He just beat a hall of fame coach ffs
Did he, though? How many points did he have? How many assists?

It looked like a team that kind of listens to their coach, if he had a good idea.

Payne is still just scratching the surface of the player he could become. Whether or not his game transfers to the pro ranks in a few years remains to be seen but he moves really really well for a guy his size.

Lottery pick is probably a reach but it is going to be fun to watch his game develop.

Top Bottom