***OFFICIAL MICHIGAN STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

For those that watched in person or on pisscock did Izzo’s head explode?
He was calm most of the night and really only interacted with the officials a couple of times. He seems to really have a soft spot for Ben.

I was at the game, but thought the officials were really good and consistent last night. The teams played really good defense and the officials let it play out.

I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion but let's settle down a bit shall we? This is a mediocre Michigan State team and a game we should have won. Most of the same posters who are saying we're king of the world will be saying this or that player sucks and will calling for Johnson's head after our next loss.
Some of the BTN pregame studio guys were talking about Michigan State having a chance at being an elite eight team in the NCAA tourney! HaHa!

Payne is still in college. This kid is a stud and I just want to enjoy his time as a Gopher.
I think there are fans that get caught up in what kind of pro prospects a player has when evaluating a college player as opposed to just enjoying their abilities at this level.

Jordan Murphy is a name that springs to mind. His pro career hasn't really amounted to much but he was a phenomenal college basketball player.

Last edited:

He was calm most of the night and really only interacted with the officials a couple of times. He seems to really have a soft spot for Ben.

I was at the game, but thought the officials were really good and consistent last night. The teams played really good defense and the officials let it play out.
I did notice Izzo, between the 2 foul shots by Cam with 18.5 seconds left, get in the ear of one of the officials, and I could only read his lips for part of what he said, and I believe it was "watch 21 pushing..." and then I couldn't see what he said after that.

Certainly nothing unusual, and I've seen Ben do the same...so pretty reserved for the Hobbit.

With the stress of selling our house and packing to move..I watched the first half and decided I needed sleep. What an awesome surprise. I didn't feel it in the first half. Fun team that doesn't quit. Cam is special...The team has a huge upside.
If you are going to pick a half to watch the Gophers do yourself a favor and make sure it is the second half :)

There are more polished centers in college BB, and some that are physically bigger such as the guy in Purdue. But if there is one more athletic, covers more ground, or has a higher "motor" thane Payne I haven’t seen a him yet. IF the gophers were more intent on feeding him, his numbers could get spooky. His hands in the lane have improved remarkably in the last year!

Little scary sometimes with Payne. He asked out at 17:42 of the 1st half. Thought, "Oh shoot".
Really, really happy for Carrington. Great minutes. Hit a big three.
20 minutes for Braeden, at least 10 more than I would have predicted.
How sweet is it to beat a team with 10 top 100 players on their roster?

There are more polished centers in college BB, and some that are physically bigger such as the guy in Purdue. But if there is one more athletic, covers more ground, or has a higher "motor" thane Payne I haven’t seen a him yet. IF the gophers were more intent on feeding him, his numbers could get spooky. His hands in the lane have improved remarkably in the last year!
Ben has adjusted what they want him to do in the post also. Last year, it seemed like they expected him to get double-teamed and kick it back out to shooters, or worse, cross court to shooters. Too many passes ended up in row 3. This year he just goes and scores or they run more cutters to spots closer to him

Little scary sometimes with Payne. He asked out at 17:42 of the 1st half. Thought, "Oh shoot".
Really, really happy for Carrington. Great minutes. Hit a big three.
20 minutes for Braeden, at least 10 more than I would have predicted.
How sweet is it to beat a team with 10 top 100 players on their roster?
yeah, this isn't a great MSU team this year but they have a ton of talented players on their roster and they usually get better as the season goes on. Coming into last night they had won 10 of 13 and the 3 loses were to Wisconsin, Illinois and Northwestern.

Looking at the boxscore it would be easy to overlook Carrington and Fox but both had great games last night.

yeah, this isn't a great MSU team this year but they have a ton of talented players on their roster and they usually get better as the season goes on. Coming into last night they had won 10 of 13 and the 3 loses were to Wisconsin, Illinois and Northwestern.

Looking at the boxscore it would be easy to overlook Carrington and Fox but both had great games last night.
They show the importance of having bench players who do sh!t. They are active, bring energy, and a really big part of our success.

Honestly, I think Carrington had the biggest stretch of basketball of the season for the U. There were portions of the Nebraska game where Nebraska felt like they were pulling away and Carrington's defense on Tominaga really changed the momentum of that game and (at least for me) our season.

They show the importance of having bench players who do sh!t. They are active, bring energy, and a really big part of our success.

Honestly, I think Carrington had the biggest stretch of basketball of the season for the U. There were portions of the Nebraska game where Nebraska felt like they were pulling away and Carrington's defense on Tominaga really changed the momentum of that game and (at least for me) our season.
Really hope that Carrington can get his shot to be more consistent, because what he does in the other aspects of the game are quite exceptional. He plays with some real confidence on defense, but that hasn't transferred to his shooting...yet.

Really hope that Carrington can get his shot to be more consistent, because what he does in the other aspects of the game are quite exceptional. He plays with some real confidence on defense, but that hasn't transferred to his shooting...yet.
I'd love to see him put the ball on the floor and use his size in the paint. He's looked good doing it the few times he's driven this year, start inside out.

He’s also a good rebounder who blocks out regularly; kudos for him finding his niche, after being Mr. Basketball, as a role player.

True teammate!

Yep, there was a rebound he grabbed in the second half that was absolutely critical. I really felt like it would have been the typical offensive rebound and score by MSU that always kills us, except this time Carrington was there to get it.

This.

Izzo by his standards was pretty tame last night. Seemed pissed off at his players more than anything. Especially Hoggard and Hall.

When you can get a great coach like that upset you must be doing something right :)
Lot of credit to Thorson and the tenacity the D is bringing; befuddling a team like them is a statement/tribute.

He’s taken lots of flack on here and definitely deserves love now.

Now let’s take the next step and flummox Fran and his motion O on Sunday.

He’s also a good rebounder who blocks out regularly; kudos for him finding his niche, after being Mr. Basketball, as a role player.

True teammate!
He was in the game down the stretch, and this is why. He secured that late defensive rebound. Not that Mitchell wouldn't have, but you KNEW Carrington would.

I think there are fans that get caught up in what kind of pro prospects a player has when evaluating a college player as opposed to just enjoying their abilities at this level.

Jordan Murphy is a name that springs to mind. His pro career hasn't really amounted to much but he was a phenomenal college basketball player.
And some of us don't care about anyone's pro career. This today is the pinnacle of their basketball experience. It won't get better for them or us as fans. I don't care any more about a player's pro career than I would about somebody's career selling insurance.

They do a fantastic job with these.

Top Bottom