***OFFICIAL MICHIGAN STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Hawkins and Garcia were both off tonight. Fox gave the team some huge minutes in the first half before Christie carried the team in the second. Has become a theme with this team where guys pick each other up when someone has an off night.
Sign of a good team is when players like Hawkins and Garcia are off, other players a step up. Christie was on fire and Fox was a spark. Carrington played really good defense on Walker

I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion but let's settle down a bit shall we? This is a mediocre Michigan State team and a game we should have won. Most of the same posters who are saying we're king of the world will be saying this or that player sucks and will calling for Johnson's head after our next loss.

I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion but let's settle down a bit shall we? This is a mediocre Michigan State team and a game we should have won. Most of the same posters who are saying we're king of the world will be saying this or that player sucks and will calling for Johnson's head after our next loss.
Settle down? They've won as many conference games now this season through 11 games than they did the last 2 seasons combined. This is an appropriate time to celebrate. There is finally life in this basketball program again.

Yes, Michigan State has struggled at times this year, but no reason to not get excited. We as fans can see this team turning the corner and getting over the hump. Lets be honest, last few years we dont win this game or any other close ones. Can we just sit back and enjoy this season as it transpires. Alot of good things this year. I get it, we're not there yet, but come on give this team and the coaching staff credit when they deserve it.

For those that watched in person or on pisscock did Izzo’s head explode?

Yes, Michigan State has struggled at times this year, but no reason to not get excited. We as fans can see this team turning the corner and getting over the hump. Lets be honest, last few years we dont win this game or any other close ones. Can we just sit back and enjoy this season as it transpires. Alot of good things this year. I get it, we're not there yet, but come on give this team and the coaching staff credit when they deserve it.

Not disagreeing but as they say: Never get too high with the highs are too low with the lows.

I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion but let's settle down a bit shall we?
Happiness is one of the gifts we’re given; it’s natural.
This is a mediocre Michigan State team and a game we should have won.
Thst doesn’t detract from said Hapiness!
Most of the same posters who are saying we're king of the world will be saying this or that player sucks and will calling for Johnson's head after our next loss.
Disagree - I rarely see you post on here. There are many on here who have been in his corner from the start of the season and many more who have been won over, so based on my experience being a regular on the BB forum that is an unfounded assertion and just because you may feel that way, doesn’t mean that others do also. There are also folks who know a ton more RE buckets than I do, like @bga1 & @SelectionSunday who can see the growth and are optimistic/pleased, so I don’t feel like I’m in an echo chamber.

Not everyone’s reaction to a setback (loss) is to go negative; in fact, that is an outlier in human behavior in my experience - the face of any happy child confirms what our default state is.

I’ve been miserable/depressed as an adult and also full of happiness, as I am now and have been since my stroke 7 years ago. The world didn’t change, I did. It was my choice and I chose to focus on the positive, regardless of what the day brings or doesn’t.

As my mentor Bill used to quip, “Have a great day, unless you’ve made other plans.”

Last edited:

Sports are supposed to be fun. We just beat Izzo. It was a great atmosphere. Let’s enjoy being fans.

Go Gophers!!

With the stress of selling our house and packing to move..I watched the first half and decided I needed sleep. What an awesome surprise. I didn't feel it in the first half. Fun team that doesn't quit. Cam is special...The team has a huge upside.

Sign of a good team is when players like Hawkins and Garcia are off, other players a step up. Christie was on fire and Fox was a spark. Carrington played really good defense on Walker
Depth is important and will become more so down the stretch. Unlikely to see the big February dropoff we've seen in the past.

Happiness is one of the gifts we’re given; it’s natural.

Thst doesn’t detract from said Hapiness!

Disagree - I rarely see you post on here. There are many on here who have been in his corner from the start of the season and many more who have been won over, so based on my experience being a regular on the BB forum that is an unfounded assertion and just because you may feel that way, doesn’t mean that others do also. There are also folks who know a ton more RE buckets than I do, like @bga1 & @SelectionSunday who can see the growth and are optimistic/pleased, so I don’t feel like I’m in an echo chamber.

Not everyone’s reaction to a setback (loss) is to go negative; in fact, that is an outlier in human behavior in my experience - the face of any happy child confirms what our default state is.

I’ve been miserable/depressed as an adult and also full of happiness, as I am now and have been since my stroke 7 years ago. The world didn’t change, I did. It was my choice and I chose to focus on the positive, regardless of what the day brings or doesn’t.

As my mentor Bill used to quip, “Have a great day, unless you’ve made other plans.”

I'll be happy to revisit this when the nutjobs come out of the woodwork after our next loss. :)

This team was projected to finish DEAD LAST in a mediocre Big Ten. The last two years have been absolutely abysmal basketball. They are currently sitting in position for a double bye for the BTT. You have to enjoy the ride. Minnesota sports fans are the kings of being pre-miserable. It's okay to live in the moment and enjoy things instead of waiting for things to go bad. It's just a sport after all.

Side note on Payne. I noticed he is developing a new free throw stance bending much lower and although he only shot 4-8 the misses were close...I think he is getting there and will end the season better. It's huge for him to shoot 60+% in order to keep him in close games. At the 7 second mark time was called and Ben hadn't taken him out, I was certain Izzo was going to hack him and send him to the line... but Ben got him out of there. It was ticklish because it still hadn't been called our ball yet when Ben subbed him out...
He has a solid looking shot so I’d hope he’d eventually see more start to drop.

It is pretty funny, frustrating, expected and disappointing to watch the comments over the course of the season, heck from minute to minute in a game, go from "We Suck" to "Awesome" to "WTF" to "Great Effort" to "We'll never win!" to "This team has possibilities", ect. on the forum.

I try to maintain a level head, not over-react to every little thing, and look for the "bigger picture" stuff, but it is entertaining to watch and read all the knee-jerk, all over the board reactions here, especially during games. Of course, our fans are no different than anybody else. Go into any random sports bar or actual event and I see fans displaying the same reactions at the same things that happen in a game. Guess it's the nature of most sports fans to go from Absolute Giddy Joy, to the Worst Dread reactions with-in 5 seconds while watching our team play.

I guess the thing that keeps me from being the same way when it comes to the Gophers, Twins, Vikings, ect. is that I remind myself that what happens to my Minnesota teams has no effect on my real life, job, relationships, health and such out here in Ca.

It may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but how about CBJ's strategy for Malik Hall!? MSU seems to go as he goes.

He scored 5 points before the first TV timeout but only 6 points in the game. That double-team by Payne (mostly) totally rattled him and took Sparty out of their offensive flow.

Johnson has had some big-time 2nd half-adjustments in Ben Ten play. If they ever figure out how to avoid the long 1st half slump, these close victories will turn into 10-15 point wins.
Building on my previous observation, CBJ also had an amazing feel for this game. Once he realized it was going to be a physical defensive slugfest, where hustle plays might make the difference, he went:

Fox > JOJ
Carrington > Mitchell

For long stretches of the game.

Playing Fox was a no-brainer, given his early minutes in this one, but playing Carrington for 20+ minutes showed cajones, especially when Mitchell almost single-handedly willed us to the win in East Lancing.

The depth is really starting to shine.

NYC is the first person to run to the thread you all despise so much.
Hardly the first, but let’s not have honesty get in the way. I actually run to any of the positive threads I started, all you got to do is follow the 👃😉

I get it, you don’t like me, which is fine, as that is your choice. My choice is to ignore you, so I don’t feel the compulsion to respond and be a drag on the board’s happiness.

Have a great day bro, unless you made other plans. I plan on being a Grinning Fool myself 😃

Payne is still just scratching the surface of the player he could become. Whether or not his game transfers to the pro ranks in a few years remains to be seen but he moves really really well for a guy his size.

Lottery pick is probably a reach but it is going to be fun to watch his game develop.
Worse case is he’ll get a job in Europe and hoop there.

What an awesome win! I don't mind that it was on Peacock, although I already had the subscription, so that helps. The team played great team defense last night, if someone was beat off the dribble there was a big there to step up. The double team in the second was nice, giving them a different look too.

Cam is becoming a complete player! I'm realizing that must be what Ben has seen in practice all along, which would be why he had the freshmen taking the last shot so early on in the season.

I can't remember if it was at half or after the game, but one of them in the studio made the comment along the lines of "NIL deals will be coming" and that it will be hard to hold onto him. I really hope we can keep him at least for one more year. If he keeps developing, he may be gone after next year to the NBA.

Very true and most of posters who have wanted Johnson fired all along are miserable after every game they win.

Last edited:

I'm way old and remember when basketball was almost exclusively a big man's game and the teams with the best inside players dominated the sport at the college and pro levels. With the three-point shot and other changes, success is more greatly determined by effective guard play and you can see the difference last year to this year with the additions of Hawkins, Mitchell, and Christie. Just night and day in terms of ball movement.

It is pretty funny, frustrating, expected and disappointing to watch the comments over the course of the season, heck from minute to minute in a game, go from "We Suck" to "Awesome" to "WTF" to "Great Effort" to "We'll never win!" to "This team has possibilities", ect. on the forum.

I try to maintain a level head, not over-react to every little thing, and look for the "bigger picture" stuff, but it is entertaining to watch and read all the knee-jerk, all over the board reactions here, especially during games. Of course, our fans are no different than anybody else. Go into any random sports bar or actual event and I see fans displaying the same reactions at the same things that happen in a game. Guess it's the nature of most sports fans to go from Absolute Giddy Joy, to the Worst Dread reactions with-in 5 seconds while watching our team play.

I guess the thing that keeps me from being the same way when it comes to the Gophers, Twins, Vikings, ect. is that I remind myself that what happens to my Minnesota teams has no effect on my real life, job, relationships, health and such out here in Ca.
I stay far away from the in game threads once the game starts.....

Your last paragraph is a great way to look at sports. Enjoy it but don't get overly wrapped up in it to the point where it affects your day to day life. Sports are about entertainment, if you aren't enjoying them you should find a different hobby :)

Not disagreeing but as they say: Never get too high with the highs are too low with the lows.
Don't see anyone planning parade routes or saying everything is perfect. People are enjoying the win and the fact that the Gophers are playing well and competing with the rest of the conference again.

Happens every game.....after a win the generally positive crowd can actually post without getting shouted down by the doom and gloom crowd.....makes the board a lot more fun for a few days but those negative posters are out there just waiting for their opportunity to jump in and tell everyone how foolish they were to have positive thoughts about the program. :)

Top Bottom