Miracles never cease, Davison suspended

I suppose that's possible.

Or here's an alternate scenario: MN recruits dont want to play for Pitino.

Y'know...as long as we're throwing out ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Good call on the conspiracy stuff as it's ridiculous, but lets be fair and say "some MN recruits". We've had plenty of MN guys on the roster the last 7 years and have one committed for 2021 already.

I suppose that's possible.

Or here's an alternate scenario: MN recruits dont want to play for Pitino.

Y'know...as long as we're throwing out ridiculous conspiracy theories.
Not a Pitino thing....

Good call on the conspiracy stuff as it's ridiculous, but lets be fair and say "some MN recruits". We've had plenty of MN guys on the roster the last 7 years and have one committed for 2021 already.

Built just said - Yes, I get checks from Wisconsin basketball

nobody said that built controlled all MN recruits. Only that his narrative helps shape the news here on GH. Since a person's news sources shapes their world view this is relevant - not absolute - but relevant.

some of you posters are starters for team Tin Foil Hat. Posts here have zero zip effect on recruits...why do i even have to post this?

Reactions: MRJ

some of you posters are starters for team Tin Foil Hat. Posts here have zero zip effect on recruits...why do i even have to post this?

This forum is the only aggregator of news for gopher basketball with any traffic. If you are a recruit, family member, competitor, coach, player, administrator, local sports writer, fan or other interested party you will eventually end up on this site if you are looking to get a read on the state of the program and the latest issues.

...and where you get your news shapes your world view.

What are you like 90yo? People generally bounce from news aggregator to social media aggregator to special interest aggregator to get info now - not read the paper. Next you will be telling me the world is flat because you dont understand the new fangled technology which shows it to be round...

This forum is the only aggregator of news for gopher basketball with any traffic. If you are a recruit, family member, competitor, coach, player, administrator, local sports writer, fan or other interested party you will eventually end up on this site if you are looking to get a read on the state of the program and the latest issues.

...and where you get your news shapes your world view.

What are you like 90yo? People generally bounce from news aggregator to social media aggregator to special interest aggregator to get info now - not read the paper. Next you will be telling me the world is flat because you dont understand the new fangled technology which shows it to be round...
have you have never been recruited or had a family member being recruited. the pressure to go here or there is 100% recruiter/coach/team/family/friend driven. There is zero room to take advice from anonymous goofballs.

Reactions: MRJ

Built just said - Yes, I get checks from Wisconsin basketball

nobody said that built controlled all MN recruits. Only that his narrative helps shape the news here on GH. Since a person's news sources shapes their world view this is relevant - not absolute - but relevant.
And Minnesota and etc, etc...

have you have never been recruited or had a family member being recruited. the pressure to go here or there is 100% recruiter/coach/team/family/friend driven. There is zero room to take advice from anonymous goofballs.

Who said anything about "anonymous goofballs"? If we take builtbadgers at his word, he has been a scout paid by college programs for his information and opinions for decades. He also is a respected member of the local basketball community who says that recruits and their families have come to him at times for his opinion on which program is the best fit. Doesn't sound like an "anonymous goofball" to me.

So you're either calling Built a straight liar or you're (from Wisconsin) and you're too stupid to understand that maybe not everyone is just a fanboy on this board? So which is it?

so true. I can not think of a single recruit or family influenced by a fan message board. They start with whether or not they want to stay or need to stay at home. Then they look at a coach, who he is, what is he like, what is his track record, players on the team, recruits coming in, program success, culture, atmosphere, chance to win the conference, chance at a final 4, playing time. message board fodder is not on the list. The social media influence there is exists from player to player.

A friend says to a recruit "Pitino may not even be coach next year so why ever consider going to MN - in fact check out some of the latest posts including the last one by @Spaulding!No! on GH. Half the people in MN hate Pitino and expect him to be gone. Just read through the one thread. You will never see that here. Very risky to go to MN and people from MN believe that" This is powerful stuff

SO I guess you got me on that. I agree with your above post that it is 100% recruiter/coach/team/family/friend driven (and player). It's cutthroat, and people like you are here to help. Just not help our side.

so true. I can not think of a single recruit or family influenced by a fan message board. They start with whether or not they want to stay or need to stay at home. Then they look at a coach, who he is, what is he like, what is his track record, players on the team, recruits coming in, program success, culture, atmosphere, chance to win the conference, chance at a final 4, playing time. message board fodder is not on the list. The social media influence there is exists from player to player.

Built, my point this past weekend was not about what you're posting on a message board and saying THAT is influencing recruits. You yourself have said that you have DIRECT IN-PERSON conversations with recruits and their families. I love how some on here keep spinning this to internet influence when that was never the point. Again, unless you are lying to us all, you are having an influence on basketball recruits and their decisions. I think that position of influence combined with your clear disdain and true feelings for Pitino (getting in kidney shots whenever you can) ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD, makes you overall poisonous to this program.

Very disingenuous, Nobody is saying that directly reading a thread kills a players interest in coming here.

Perception/world view/gut feeling is built over time from a variety of people and "touches". A person may never see a newsweek article on how bad a company is but the far reaching impact of the negative PR actually causes a person to not buy from that company. Their circle of friends, advisors, competitors and subconscious all play in.

Never seen a fan base so obsessed with a player. It is incredible.

The PG from our main rival, who is from MN is famous for punching people in the balls and you're surprised that there is a message board has a thread on him?!?!?

It's incredible that you're surprised by this.

Wanna hear something INSANE?!?!?!? I bet Carolina fans talked crap about Grayson Allen too. Nuts huh?!?!

Very disingenuous, Nobody is saying that directly reading a thread kills a players interest in coming here.

Perception/world view/gut feeling is built over time from a variety of people and "touches". A person may never see a newsweek article on how bad a company is but the far reaching impact of the negative PR actually causes a person to not buy from that company. Their circle of friends, advisors, competitors and subconscious all play in.
What player reads this board ? I have had not even 20 families and players seek out my opinion. This is a fan board, people share opinions on players, coaches, programs ,other college basketball topics. If recruits are reading this board then fans better quit posting anything negative about existing players or potential recruits. It should only be positive, it should be IW was tremendous, Suggs handled everything great,Pitino is one of the best coaches in the country and on and on. There have been kids that when they laid out there priorities that I said Minnesota sounded like the right place for them. If Reece Beekman asked me what was the best choice for him (he did not and would not have to) I would have told him UVA. Carlson got advice that confirmed their own criteria. The recruits I know do not read this board. They use Instagram , twitter to talk with each other and are very well aware, more than a fan on who the best coaches are, the best programs. A fan board has zero influence on a recruit.

There is not a perception gut feeling among players on who the best coaches and best programs are. They figure out best fit for playing time, future teammates, coaches success.

What player reads this board ? I have had not even 20 families and players seek out my opinion. This is a fan board, people share opinions on players, coaches, programs ,other college basketball topics. If recruits are reading this board then fans better quit posting anything negative about existing players or potential recruits. It should only be positive, it should be IW was tremendous, Suggs handled everything great,Pitino is one of the best coaches in the country and on and on. There have been kids that when they laid out there priorities that I said Minnesota sounded like the right place for them. If Reece Beekman asked me what was the best choice for him (he did not and would not have to) I would have told him UVA. Carlson got advice that confirmed their own criteria. The recruits I know do not read this board. They use Instagram , twitter to talk with each other and are very well aware, more than a fan on who the best coaches are, the best programs. A fan board has zero influence on a recruit.
You couldn't be more wrong. Boards, forums, social media, news aggregators are all about influence. The number of people that are paid to find ways to influence people overtly in the form of ads, and paid content along with more subtle forms of influence ranks as the 10th largest industry in the US.

Fan Board... call it what you want but it is a social platform which aggregates opinions and news to a very specific demographic - those with interest in Gopher basketball. If you feel like the MN recruits have no interest in Gopher basketball then there is zero influence. If you feel like they have interest in Gopher basketball then there is influence like every other topic under the sun. I hate to be the one to break it to you but every single social and news site sells their influence to the highest bidder to earn income and shape a narrative to accomplish some business or greater good. Is it possible you advise recruits but dont understand how this works?

I kinda think you are just trolling now...

@builtbadgers is here to poison this program. I honestly don't see any other explanation. He is Goldteam with a much more sinister spin.

How you can describe yourself as a "supporter" while spewing cyanide into the water is beyond me. You either want the team to win or you don't. There is no "bigger picture" midseason.

Simply f--k off and go spend your money on Virginia and Wiscy. The fact that you're apparently influencing young people in Minnesota is very sad. You're the Catholic priest to the Gopher basketball program.

Poisoning the program is a stretch. But he's definitely poisoning Gopherhole. I don't understand why he hasn't been banned yet.

You couldn't be more wrong. Boards, forums, social media, news aggregators are all about influence. The number of people that are paid to find ways to influence people overtly in the form of ads, and paid content along with more subtle forms of influence ranks as the 10th largest industry in the US.

Fan Board... call it what you want but it is a social platform which aggregates opinions and news to a very specific demographic - those with interest in Gopher basketball. If you feel like the MN recruits have no interest in Gopher basketball then there is zero influence. If you feel like they have interest in Gopher basketball then there is influence like every other topic under the sun. I hate to be the one to break it to you but every single social and news site sells their influence to the highest bidder to earn income and shape a narrative to accomplish some business or greater good. Is it possible you advise recruits but dont understand how this works?

I kinda think you are just trolling now...
Think what you want. My interest is in giving my honest opinion on fit based on a recruit and his or her families criteria. That may and has spelled Minnesota, sometimes it does not. Call me a troll or any other name you like. We each choose to conduct ourselves in each situation. I do not pursue giving advice, am rarely sought out. There is little to no influence to what I offer and zero to what I post. the mods can ban me when they see fit. Your entitled to your opinion. I will not attack you for a message I disagree with.

Think what you want. My interest is in giving my honest opinion on fit based on a recruit and his or her families criteria. That may and has spelled Minnesota, sometimes it does not. Call me a troll or any other name you like. We each choose to conduct ourselves in each situation. I do not pursue giving advice, am rarely sought out. There is little to no influence to what I offer and zero to what I post. the mods can ban me when they see fit. Your entitled to your opinion. I will not attack you for a message I disagree with.
My background is 20 plus years related to advertising, internet strategy, websites going back to the early days including developing sports related projects for the highest level of pro sports. You are just going to need to trust me that an aggregator like this one is extremely powerful in shaping the perception of reality for gopher sports - and in the end perception is reality. Will it impact every recruit? yes, every one that has family spending time here and may come here himself. Will it impact his decision - probably not. ...but it will for some.

Consider that it might only be one out of every 100 that is impacted enough to push him over the edge considering all factors. Could be more or less. Before any of you guys call conspiracy on this consider how your own opinions are shaped. You might be iphone or Android, or Coke or Pepsi, or Ford or Chevy. All of these companies have very smart people killing themselves to find a way to shape your perception for them and against the competition. You may imagine yourself immune but I can guarentee that you have fallen into a preset narrative that these companies have invested heavily into and are desperate to perpetuate. People obsess and research based on their logical side but purchase based on their gut. This stuff works.

Post whatever you guys want on here but if you are constantly slamming Pitino it is about the same as sitting behind the gopher bench and screaming Pitino sucks every game. You might be right but what are you trying to do? How does that help anyone? Better to avoid the nagging wife fan syndrome and help him recruit by supporting him online, or encouraging him, or fedexing Coyles office letting him know know you turn in your tickets this year if Pitino is still here. I can guarentee you he will remember that far more than a belligerent fan on GH. [Hi Mark, you can thank me later ;) ]

The PG from our main rival, who is from MN is famous for punching people in the balls and you're surprised that there is a message board has a thread on him?!?!?

It's incredible that you're surprised by this.

Wanna hear something INSANE?!?!?!? I bet Carolina fans talked crap about Grayson Allen too. Nuts huh?!?!
What's really funny is I believe that person posts on a WI message board that does weekly reports on what gopherhole is saying. Talk about obsession.

Top Bottom