***MINNESOTA AT NEBRASKA BOTH TEAMS NEED A WIN IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Daniels should not get one more minute unless we are forced to play him. Total waste and we are losing the chance to develop TT into a more solid player by giving minutes to Daniels.
Well, Daniels does give effort, of that I have no doubt. He is however one of the stiffest basketball players I have ever seen. He is just terribly clumsy and like Roberto Duran, has got 'manos de piedra' (hands of stone).

I can't whale on him for being a not very good player at this level, but yeah. I won't be sad to see him graduate.

Yeah, I hope we at least finish 2nd to last. Better selling point for recruits if Johnson beat expectations.

I havent looked, but I know we have a short to no bench. Wonder how fatigue played into how we are playing recently
I think fatigue is totally a factor. Johnson continually riding the same horses, you can see the guys are gassed when it comes to crunch time. And now that is factoring in from the start. Another reason he should have been getting at least 10-15 minutes from the start for Thiam and TT so as to give the other guys a breather and not wear them down as he has. Doing the same thing Pitino did.

Yes that is the key ...but Johnson is not developing TT or Thiam. We did not think TT was going to be much in the couple of minutes we saw him early...then when he got more playing time and became more comfortable he has started to show some potential. We need that same time for Thiam instead of just jumping all over him and writing him off as some have done.
I actually don't disagree on Thiam. But either play him or have a difficult conversation for breakfast about what is best for him after this season. Maybe they have.

As for TT he should be Curry's primary back up period.

Last edited:

Still feels like there's a long road to hoe ahead for this program:
1. Gotta build a deep enough roster of good players.
2. Gotta prove you can compete in the upper division of the conference even once you have enough good players instead of just being the little engine who could.

I appreciate all the stuff about culture, yada, yada, but at the end of the day it comes down to whether you can do the above and finish ahead of the Badgers for the first time in over two decades.

For me the worst thing is that we have turned into exactly the same team as the last 8 years. Peak with big wins and then totally blow up in conference. We have 0 depth, team has gotten worse, we can't shoot and we will be told it's injuries and bad luck. This is were I never wanted to be again...sigh

For me the worst thing is that we have turned into exactly the same team as the last 8 years. Peak with big wins and then totally blow up in conference. We have 0 depth, team has gotten worse, we can't shoot and we will be told it's injuries and bad luck. This is were I never wanted to be again...sigh
I follow the timberwolves and gophers. The basketball in this state has been brutal and embarrassing for decades. Hopefully, the wolves are turning it somewhat around.

It's unreal how hopeless it's been. Just a brutal run of basketball.

Last edited:

That was pathetic. Turned it off after the first half. Felt like one of those summer league games where you have two vastly mismatched level of teams. We were struggling to even pass the ball, much less not get alley-oop dunked on multiple times by the McGowen bros.

I agree with people saying we need to see more of Thiam and Thompson. They are the only developmental guys on the roster right now. Hell with how little time he has seen this year I wouldn't be surprised if Thiam transfers (maybe a good thing? not even sure).

That was one of the worst Big 10 basketball games I've ever seen. The team was flat, played poorly, played sloppy and couldn't make a shot.

TT needs more minutes. Thiam needs more minutes. I'd even play one of the other walk ons more. The team looks completely spent

I think fatigue is totally a factor. Johnson continually riding the same horses, you can see the guys are gassed when it comes to crunch time. And now that is factoring in from the start. Another reason he should have been getting at least 10-15 minutes from the start for Thiam and TT so as to give the other guys a breather and not wear them down as he has. Doing the same thing Pitino did.
I think we have less wins overall this season if we play those two early. I think the staff did it right this year and got as many wins early as they could. Let TT get his feet wet, hopefully he continues to get better. The rotation piece here isn’t because he wants to, it’s cause he had to do a full overhaul of the roster and it’s hard to get that many competent B1G players. Next year he can hit the portal for 2-3 guys. They can be more selective and pointed in their recruitment. They also have film of how they play. They also will have a real recruiting class. Let’s start judging rotations and depth development after next year.

I think we have less wins overall this season if we play those two early. I think the staff did it right this year and got as many wins early as they could. Let TT get his feet wet, hopefully he continues to get better. The rotation piece here isn’t because he wants to, it’s cause he had to do a full overhaul of the roster and it’s hard to get that many competent B1G players. Next year he can hit the portal for 2-3 guys. They can be more selective and pointed in their recruitment. They also have film of how they play. They also will have a real recruiting class. Let’s start judging rotations and depth development after next year.
I agree with you somewhat in regards to wins. But I think getting both Thiam and TT at least 10 min per game early would have been helping right now. This year never should have been strictly about wins.....we all like winning BB, but we also brought Johnson in to improve for the future of this program. Without early development of the young guys we will not improve. Next year we have a good crop of guys coming in but they will be deer in the headlights. All freshman suffer from the game being too fast and not having experience to deal with the level of play. Without having more experience from TT and Thiam (if he is any good...we do not know due to lack of playing time), it will be very hard next year as well. Depth development should start day 1 if you are a good coach that is looking towards the future. All of these guys will be gone next year except Battle, so there is NO excuse to not have started developing TT and Thiam by letting them get at least 10-15 minutes per game. As I said, when we first saw TT for the 2-3 minutes he was in early in the season, many did not think highly of him. But now that we are seeing more minutes we can see potential. We need to see more minutes from Thiam and let him get his feet wet, we may yet be surprised and start to see potential in him. But clearly if Johnson does not get going, Thiam will be gone and we will never know. This is what happened with Pitino, lack of bench development that clearly resulted in trouble when the main guys went down.

That was one of the worst Big 10 basketball games I've ever seen. The team was flat, played poorly, played sloppy and couldn't make a shot.

TT needs more minutes. Thiam needs more minutes. I'd even play one of the other walk ons more. The team looks completely spent
Yeah, I'm wondering if they're just ground down into nothing. Already. Still a lot of season left.

They never got off the plane. Were not ready to play, didn't want to play.

How can a team possibly have a worse loss than this?
They've had lots of worse losses than this through the years. They lost a road game in the B1G in front of pumped up fans primed for a win.

Stop your damn whining. You took your ball and went home when you returned your tickets and demanded a refund.

In the end, this season's record wouldn't be much different if Thiam and TT played more throughout the season.

Still feels like there's a long road to hoe ahead for this program:
1. Gotta build a deep enough roster of good players.
2. Gotta prove you can compete in the upper division of the conference even once you have enough good players instead of just being the little engine who could.

I appreciate all the stuff about culture, yada, yada, but at the end of the day it comes down to whether you can do the above and finish ahead of the Badgers for the first time in over two decades.
"I appreciate all the stuff about culture, yada, yada, but at the end of the day it comes down to whether you can do the above and finish ahead of the Badgers for the first time in over two decades."

Yup.

Win. That is all.

The coaching staff most certainly will hit the transfer portal but I would prefer going with incoming freshmen recruits getting a ton of minutes. Let them take their lumps and see where they are at in year four of the Ben Johnson regime.

Johnson’s hire was never about a winning now approach.

This has to do with depth period.
Pitino's teams never had it and neither does this one. These guys are all gassed. Need to be able to play 8 guys solid minutes and we have always had 5-6 with maybe one other guy gets 6-8 minutes a night.

Yes that is the key ...but Johnson is not developing TT or Thiam. We did not think TT was going to be much in the couple of minutes we saw him early...then when he got more playing time and became more comfortable he has started to show some potential. We need that same time for Thiam instead of just jumping all over him and writing him off as some have done.
I don't disagree, I think they try to sprinkle those guys in more towards the end of the year possibly. I'm a little more in the camp though that the offseason will help these guys develop more than playing time this year (I still agree both should get more minutes though).

TT needs to get in the weight room badly. Thiam needs to be more in control and he just looks like a freshman out there. I like Thiams athletic ability though. I bet he contributes down the road.

The coaching staff still deserves credit for getting a team of all newcomers to play together and arguably beyond their capability so quickly and early in the season. But while other teams are still growing and improving, this team is already maxed out and has been for some time.
Agreed. Other teams have figured us out more and more as the season has gone on as well. More tape. The ball dominant Willis offense has lost steam, and we just don't have other guys to make things happen.

I like Battle though. I like Battle, Ihnen and Fox next year if you can find some guards to play with those guys. Haven't seen a second of Fox obviously so maybe I'm jumping the gun but the kid was recruited by everybody.

I follow the timberwolves and gophers. The basketball in this state has been brutal and embarrassing for decades. Hopefully, the wolves are turning it somewhat around.

It's unreal how hopeless it's been. Just a brutal run of basketball.
Finch is a solid coach. Wolves are slowly turning a corner I think.

I agree with you somewhat in regards to wins. But I think getting both Thiam and TT at least 10 min per game early would have been helping right now. This year never should have been strictly about wins.....we all like winning BB, but we also brought Johnson in to improve for the future of this program. Without early development of the young guys we will not improve. Next year we have a good crop of guys coming in but they will be deer in the headlights. All freshman suffer from the game being too fast and not having experience to deal with the level of play. Without having more experience from TT and Thiam (if he is any good...we do not know due to lack of playing time), it will be very hard next year as well. Depth development should start day 1 if you are a good coach that is looking towards the future. All of these guys will be gone next year except Battle, so there is NO excuse to not have started developing TT and Thiam by letting them get at least 10-15 minutes per game. As I said, when we first saw TT for the 2-3 minutes he was in early in the season, many did not think highly of him. But now that we are seeing more minutes we can see potential. We need to see more minutes from Thiam and let him get his feet wet, we may yet be surprised and start to see potential in him. But clearly if Johnson does not get going, Thiam will be gone and we will never know. This is what happened with Pitino, lack of bench development that clearly resulted in trouble when the main guys went down.
I hear you on the developing part, but I will push back on that playing them just for experience isn't best for all. They have to earn some of it and they have to have some semblance of being ready. I see TT growing and I see him getting some more regular minutes, but for him it will be match up based until he gets stronger. Thiam imo just isn't ready and I don't know if throwing him out to the wolves is the best for him or not. Honestly I think he gets passed up by our freshman and transfers next year anyhow. I hear your worries about the lack of depth after what we watched the last 8 years, but this seems different to me than how Pitino did it. I will reserve my judgement on developing a bench for next years squad where Ben and his staff have had more time to truly build a roster. This years was slapped together very quickly (imo the right move) to build relationships with our 2022 class. Next spring they get to find pieces a little more selectively.

Agreed. Other teams have figured us out more and more as the season has gone on as well. More tape. The ball dominant Willis offense has lost steam, and we just don't have other guys to make things happen.

I like Battle though. I like Battle, Ihnen and Fox next year if you can find some guards to play with those guys. Haven't seen a second of Fox obviously so maybe I'm jumping the gun but the kid was recruited by everybody.
I like those three as well. For sure we will hit the portal but I want to see a ton of minutes for the 4 freshmen next year. It is bearable to watch some losing that shows future.

Payne + __________
Fox, Ihnen, Thompson
Battle/Joseph
Carrington/Henley
_________, _________

Still need a wide body, for defense and rebounding, and a couple of ball handlers to transfer in. I'd still take a frosh PG if one comes our way.

II showed improvement closer to the hoop, however his shooting did not really improve IIRC.

Fox hasn't played in the Big 10 yet.

BOTH are coming off major injuries. Hope they fully recover and really improve the team. I think we need to wait and see.

I'm not really sure what the allure of playing Treyton more is to some. He is a slow, 6'10/190lbs, and can't guard a 4 or 5 very well. On offense he stands on the arc setting screens and waiting to shoot a 3 ball, and is pretty much zero threat to take it to the rim. He is a freshman and can develop but doesn't look the part right now.

I'm not completely knocking him, he will continue to get better and if he can keep his 3pt stroke/put on some weight, he will grow into a role.

I like those three as well. For sure we will hit the portal but I want to see a ton of minutes for the 4 freshmen next year. It is bearable to watch some losing that shows future.

Payne + __________
Fox, Ihnen, Thompson
Battle/Joseph
Carrington/Henley
_________, _________

Still need a wide body, for defense and rebounding, and a couple of ball handlers to transfer in. I'd still take a frosh PG if one comes our way.
Yeah PG should be priority 1 IMO. It's killing us this year, and it's gotta be addressed going into next year.

I'm not totally sure if Carrington and Joseph will be ready for minutes next year. It would be nice if more portal guys came in. Might not have a choice and those guys will have to get time but you're right at least we would be building then.

I'm still hoping for a couple big portal gets...

Top Bottom