Marcus Carr declares for NBA Draft

Correct.

My intentions are to stay in the draft and pursue a professional career in the NBA. However during this process I will be retaining my college eligibility status by not signing with an agent.
No reason to question his intentions. But guard is a heck of a position to try and make an NBA career out of. He might find what Voshon Lenard found and do what Vo did: come back.

No reason to question his intentions. But guard is a heck of a position to try and make an NBA career out of. He might find what Voshon Lenard found and do what Vo did: come back.
He has different opportunities than Voshon. Testing the waters is smart. He will get great feedback, then decide.

You are right but you can say that it has not resulted in winning anything.

Agreed it hasn't resulted in winning. There are bigger issues than replacing guys leaving early that have led to us not winning that we've both stated and agreed on is the point I'm making. Plenty of ways to dislike the current coaches results and to be critical. This is not one imo

Yep, I think he's coming back (thought same thing about Amir), I'm just pointing out that there's clearly two different ways to interpret. There's what he says in Instagram post and then what Marcus is saying.

Players just can't WAIT to get out of this program.

I've thought about that, but if true why haven't our better players transferred out. Previous administration had good players leave regularly. This one hasn't. Transfers have largely been back end of the bench type guys. It's not Jordan and Amir didn't have plenty of chances to go elsewhere. If they can't WAIT to go pro that's one thing. I highly doubt the last two had getting out as their primary motivation to go get paid.

For the last 3 years basically 700 players in Division I have transferred so that's a pretty unfair statement. Looks like we'll have lost 2 for sure who went pro. Hope Carr isn't the third but many schools facing players transferring or leaving early. Pitino's problem is the lack of depth year after year, not players "can't wait to get out of this program."

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Voshon go through the draft, get picked in the 2nd round and then decide to come back? They had different rules then. Though I think that should still be the rule.

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Voshon go through the draft, get picked in the 2nd round and then decide to come back? They had different rules then. Though I think that should still be the rule.
That's exactly what happened. Memory is fuzzy, but weren't they allowed to take part in some pre-camp team activities, and that's where he realized he couldn't compete with these players?

That's exactly what happened. Memory is fuzzy, but weren't they allowed to take part in some pre-camp team activities, and that's where he realized he couldn't compete with these players?
I'm not sure about that part. I thought he was just expecting to go in the 1st round and came back when that wasn't the case.

For someone who has more time on their hands than I do: How many NCAA college players each year make it to the pros? The NBA, the G-League, and then any other pro league?

For the last 3 years basically 700 players in Division I have transferred so that's a pretty unfair statement. Looks like we'll have lost 2 for sure who went pro. Hope Carr isn't the third but many schools facing players transferring or leaving early. Pitino's problem is the lack of depth year after year, not players "can't wait to get out of this program."
This is spot on. Perfectly stated.

I will admit, I have never published a Tweet to the effect of "I've loved working at Company X for the last few years, appreciate everyone there, but I am going to look around at other companies for a new job and seek advice on what skills I need to improve so that I can find a better company. But if nothing comes up, I will stay at Company X."

Have you?
That is not what this is.

He is still in college, which expects him to leave and get a job at some other company. It is like sending out resumes to see if a company has internships. The rules simply state that he can return to college and college will take him back if he follows the guidelines. Why would any future employer spend any time evaluating you if you said
Ok.

If this quote had been in the OP, don't you think that might've tempered the discussion a bit?

This quote, is the polar opposite of what was Tweeted out by Carr himself. How are people supposed to know that words are actually code-speak?
But, how can you be so stupid to not know that is what he is doing? It is obvious that he knows he isn’t ready yet, but just wants to get his name out there. Nobody should burn their bridges, you never know when you may need them.

We were talking (at a distance) with our neighbors about that yesterday evening. Winter sports in general: my daughter's college gymnastics practices will begin in the fall. Will things be settled down enough by THAT time to begin activities? Not to mention, how are they going to keep their skills up in the meantime?!
Just giving info, not meant to go off topic....

This will give you a rough idea of the predictions on the outbreak by state. The models may not be totally accurate, but they give you an idea.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Why would any future employer spend any time evaluating you if you said
It is obvious that he knows he isn’t ready yet, but just wants to get his name out there. Nobody should burn their bridges, you never know when you may need them.
I disagree with your set of assumptions. And it wasn't at all obvious that's what his intention was, if that's in fact true (what Pitino said in response, to the STrib reporter).

The idea that if he makes no Tweet announcement, at all, that the NBA then won't give you the time of day and won't give you a fair assessment of what you need to work on, I think is completely made up out of thing air by you.

Please provide an example where such a thing occurred.

I don't think he burned a bridge. But at the very least, if he really did expect to come back, there would be no reason that he had to include the sentence "My intentions are to stay in the draft and pursue a professional career in the NBA."

Yeah so many are leaving LOL..I said pro not NBA ...Learn to read...KNOB

LOL
Getting paid how much? There is some value to getting your degree instead of "riding the bus" as we would say about lower level pro hockey leagues.

Getting paid how much? There is some value to getting your degree instead of "riding the bus" as we would say about lower level pro hockey leagues.
Basketball leagues in Europe can pay pretty good (six figures) and the D league is 26k for 6 months work plus per deim. Now I think Carr would end up in Europe or Australia over getting a D league spot, but who knows. Also the degree will always be available for the guys to come back and get along with jobs.

I bet some those leagues fold or possibly contract once they start back up. Not the best time to roll the dice as a marginal NBA prospect.

I bet some those leagues fold or possibly contract once they start back up. Not the best time to roll the dice as a marginal NBA prospect.
I was thinking the same thing. With the uncertainty surrounding travel and funding of organizations, I would err on the side of staying in school right now.

When my wife was in grad school back in 2009, all her colleagues were talking about how it was a good time to be in school and some even delayed graduation plans because the job market in academics was so horrid while their PhD stipend was meager but reliable.

Who knows how that correlates to basketball, but if I was a marginal NBA prospect I would err on the side of safety.

First, I believe Carr is just putting his name out there and he will be back.

That said, I think we are going to start seeing more and more basketball players leave early/forgo college. There are a number of opportunities throughout the world for players to play against similar and sometimes better competition, make money, avoid the NCAA's nonsense, and retain their draft stock.

I think you saw it with Amir last year. Leaving early often is not all about going to the NBA. That's the end goal, but there are a number of different roads that lead to that destination now. I keep seeing people say things like X amount of players entered the draft and only Y were actually drafted. There are false assumptions in that analysis that (1) players will improve their stock if they return to school; (2) their journey ends at not being drafted; and (3) the players didn't fully understand that was a possibility.

Going forward, there will continue to be a growing number of players who leave/skip school to play professionally. This will range from likely lottery picks (LaMelo) to fringe prospects. It's a viable alternative.

For those of you worried about some of these guys getting degrees, I think we will have to agree to disagree. Many of these people will a substantial amount of money playing internationally/two-way NBA contract/etc. They'll likely make more money from the ages of 18-30 than the overwhelming vast majority of people who graduate from Carlson. They can save money and return to school later.

I would say if Carr ends up staying in the draft and is not drafted and does not return it should be the end of Pitino. Second case in two years of players leaving early and not being drafted and being compounded by the fact he can't recruit to replace them spells disaster.
The problem isn't Carr going to the NBA. The problem is that our roster was so putrid after Oturu and Carr that we could only win 8 games. And that we have no freshmen or incoming recruits likely to elevate to program to even get us back to the 8 win level of success.

The problem isn't Carr going to the NBA. The problem is that our roster was so putrid after Oturu and Carr that we could only win 8 games. And that we have no freshmen or incoming recruits likely to elevate to program to even get us back to the 8 win level of success.
Yes we had 8 wins and yes that’s awful and can’t continue, but I wish people would stop pretending our team was awful. The problem in my eyes is continuity. Hurt was the only upperclassman last year to be on the court prior to last season. We had a talented and competitive team, but one that was not deep and had not yet been battle tested. This group as upperclassmen would have won more games. Pitino’s inability to match the talent with experienced depth is the issue.

First, I believe Carr is just putting his name out there and he will be back.

That said, I think we are going to start seeing more and more basketball players leave early/forgo college. There are a number of opportunities throughout the world for players to play against similar and sometimes better competition, make money, avoid the NCAA's nonsense, and retain their draft stock.

I think you saw it with Amir last year. Leaving early often is not all about going to the NBA. That's the end goal, but there are a number of different roads that lead to that destination now. I keep seeing people say things like X amount of players entered the draft and only Y were actually drafted. There are false assumptions in that analysis that (1) players will improve their stock if they return to school; (2) their journey ends at not being drafted; and (3) the players didn't fully understand that was a possibility.

Going forward, there will continue to be a growing number of players who leave/skip school to play professionally. This will range from likely lottery picks (LaMelo) to fringe prospects. It's a viable alternative.

For those of you worried about some of these guys getting degrees, I think we will have to agree to disagree. Many of these people will a substantial amount of money playing internationally/two-way NBA contract/etc. They'll likely make more money from the ages of 18-30 than the overwhelming vast majority of people who graduate from Carlson. They can save money and return to school later.
It would be really nice if they went with the go pro or stay in college three years rule. Or even two.

Top Bottom