Marcus Carr declares for NBA Draft

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Voshon go through the draft, get picked in the 2nd round and then decide to come back? They had different rules then. Though I think that should still be the rule.
You are correct. He came back and did not have a very good year. He seemed disappointed to be here from what I remember.

It would be really nice if they went with the go pro or stay in college three years rule. Or even two.

I'm not sure how much that would help in basketball.

I think more and more people are going to leave college or skip college for the other opportunities (outside of the NBA). So if the NBA passed a rule like that, it would not stop the players from leaving to go play in China/Australia/G-League after their FR/SO seasons.

I disagree with your set of assumptions. And it wasn't at all obvious that's what his intention was, if that's in fact true (what Pitino said in response, to the STrib reporter).

The idea that if he makes no Tweet announcement, at all, that the NBA then won't give you the time of day and won't give you a fair assessment of what you need to work on, I think is completely made up out of thing air by you.

Please provide an example where such a thing occurred.

I don't think he burned a bridge. But at the very least, if he really did expect to come back, there would be no reason that he had to include the sentence "My intentions are to stay in the draft and pursue a professional career in the NBA."
That is the whole point of "declaring for the draft", it is why the rule is written. It allows college players to be contacted by NBA teams for the purpose of evaluation. College players are not allowed to talk to agents or NBA teams and still remain eligible to play unless they qualify for testing the waters of the draft.

You put too much emphasis on that sentence. Employers want a person that is committed to giving everything they have to make the organizations better (hell, every player in every sport says they just want to do what ever it takes to make the team that picks them better). He is indicating that he is ready if they want him, without mentioning that he has an fallback plan. Carr is a good player, but he is not yet a Zion. No team would spend much effort to evaluate an upper middle of the pack player if he said: "I probably should player another year or two in college, but if you throw some money at me I will play in the NBA". If the kid doesn't think he is ready, no NBA team will...

You put too much emphasis on that sentence.
If it’s meant to be ignored, why put it in at all??

Employers want a person that is committed to giving everything they have to make the organizations better
This is suggesting that the NBA told a prospective college player “sorry dude, you didn’t put a Tweet out there saying that you planned to stay in the draft and pursue a professional career ... so gtfo!”

Zero chance that has ever happened.

First, I believe Carr is just putting his name out there and he will be back.

That said, I think we are going to start seeing more and more basketball players leave early/forgo college. There are a number of opportunities throughout the world for players to play against similar and sometimes better competition, make money, avoid the NCAA's nonsense, and retain their draft stock.

I think you saw it with Amir last year. Leaving early often is not all about going to the NBA. That's the end goal, but there are a number of different roads that lead to that destination now. I keep seeing people say things like X amount of players entered the draft and only Y were actually drafted. There are false assumptions in that analysis that (1) players will improve their stock if they return to school; (2) their journey ends at not being drafted; and (3) the players didn't fully understand that was a possibility.

Going forward, there will continue to be a growing number of players who leave/skip school to play professionally. This will range from likely lottery picks (LaMelo) to fringe prospects. It's a viable alternative.

For those of you worried about some of these guys getting degrees, I think we will have to agree to disagree. Many of these people will a substantial amount of money playing internationally/two-way NBA contract/etc. They'll likely make more money from the ages of 18-30 than the overwhelming vast majority of people who graduate from Carlson. They can save money and return to school later.
Amir knew he was going to get a chance in the NBA.

There are only so many spots available in the world. Many foreign leagues have only a few spots available for US players. Also, each of these teams are trying to win games and make money, they are not development teams for the NBA! There will always be spots for the best players, but there are a lot of good former college players that are already playing in Europe and they have matured into much better players then they were in college. So do you think most of these young players that leave early will be displacing those veterans in Europe? I doubt that many of these young players will find jobs playing basketball. It would be a shame to see so many of them just give up playing their last years at college for a dream that will not come true.

If it’s meant to be ignored, why put it in at all??

This is suggesting that the NBA told a prospective college player “sorry dude, you didn’t put a Tweet out there saying that you planned to stay in the draft and pursue a professional career ... so gtfo!”

Zero chance that has ever happened.
You just don't get it.... Go ahead an believe what you want, it has never stopped you before...

You just don't get it.... Go ahead an believe what you want, it has never stopped you before...
You haven’t been able to offer any kind of logical explanation for why what you believe is correct.

Amir knew he was going to get a chance in the NBA.

There are only so many spots available in the world. Many foreign leagues have only a few spots available for US players. Also, each of these teams are trying to win games and make money, they are not development teams for the NBA! There will always be spots for the best players, but there are a lot of good former college players that are already playing in Europe and they have matured into much better players then they were in college. So do you think most of these young players that leave early will be displacing those veterans in Europe? I doubt that many of these young players will find jobs playing basketball. It would be a shame to see so many of them just give up playing their last years at college for a dream that will not come true.

Of course the foreign leagues are not developmental leagues for the NBA, but NBA players absolutely develop there, while getting paid. I never said that there were spots for everyone, but there are a lot of spots to go around.

Do I think these young players will displace veterans in Europe? Not entirely, of course not. But yes, many of them will find landing spots. Marcus Carr is a perfect example. He would likely not be drafted but the top leagues in Europe would be interested in him. He might not be interested in signing with a Euro club because they would likely demand a multi-year deal, but yes, he is good enough to play in Europe but not good enough to play in the NBA. College basketball is full of players of this caliber. Guys like Jalen Suggs would likely not be a fit because he would only give a one year commitment.

As far as it being a shame for them to leave college - your argument does not make any sense. You're arguing that they won't find employment but that they will also miss out on their last years of basketball? How? Wouldn't they simply return to school? I think your opinion is clouded a bit by being a college basketball fan.

It has to be very difficult for any coach that is not coaching at a blue blood to construct a roster year after year. 20 years ago you could guess who was going to go pro and somewhat recruit for it. Now, you not only need to deal with the players going pro but just up and transferring. You basically need to sign six guys every offseason and then figure out how many scholarships you have when the dust is settled. But you won't know that until after most incoming players have signed already.

Just one of many reasons why I much prefer watching CBB from then over now.

It has to be very difficult for any coach that is not coaching at a blue blood to construct a roster year after year. 20 years ago you could guess who was going to go pro and somewhat recruit for it. Now, you not only need to deal with the players going pro but just up and transferring. You basically need to sign six guys every offseason and then figure out how many scholarships you have when the dust is settled. But you won't know that until after most incoming players have signed already.

Just one of many reasons why I much prefer watching CBB from then over now.
And yet, we do see examples of other schools, that aren't blue bloods, that seem to do pretty well on average over the past X years.

Sadly, our hated rival Wisconsin seems to be one of these.

Reactions: sal

Biggest disappointment of this season was how poorly the record was with the one two punch we had. Serious drop off after that, though.
Hard to win in a major conference with a 4 man team

I bet some those leagues fold or possibly contract once they start back up. Not the best time to roll the dice as a marginal NBA prospect.

exactly - no one knows what the new normal looks like at this point.

Also comes back for a year, lead conference in assists and round out his game, be has a legit shot at being a first rounder a ng getting that guaranteed coin.

You are correct. He came back and did not have a very good year. He seemed disappointed to be here from what I remember.
And he came back pudgy. He was not into it his senior year.

You haven’t been able to offer any kind of logical explanation for why what you believe is correct.

I would posit it's human nature. That's why you teach your kid to participate in class and not sit all the way in the back of the class as doing do helps build repore with the teacher and can affect your grades. It happened with me throughout my academic career and also at various training sessions for work. People like people who are enthusiastic and committed.

Also if it's not a big deal for someone to literally only be testing the waters/getting the evaluation and that is there only to motivation for entering, so they can receive professional feedback on what they need to work on to become a professional, then why haven't we ever seen someone tweet that, huh?

Same reason you don't show up to your friends dinner party empty handed, as it is rude and insults the host; why in the hell would you want someone like that on your team as an employee. That attitude speaks volumes to me as an employer, just like the guy who really wants the job and follows up etc... - his tweet sends the right message to teams.

People like people who are enthusiastic and committed.
You can show your (hopefully) future employers that you are enthusiastic and committed, without ever publishing a Tweet. You can, you know, just talk to them, and tell them that you are. Via your agent. In a meeting. I would guess that would be far more meaningful than a Tweet.

Also if it's not a big deal for someone to literally only be testing the waters/getting the evaluation and that is there only to motivation for entering, so they can receive professional feedback on what they need to work on to become a professional, then why haven't we ever seen someone tweet that, huh?
Right, you wouldn't Tweet that, if that was the case.

That strengthens the point that, this was a goodbye (style) Tweet. If he was planning to come back, he wouldn't have Tweeted at all.

You can show your (hopefully) future employers that you are enthusiastic and committed, without ever publishing a Tweet. You can, you know, just talk to them, and tell them that you are. Via your agent. In a meeting. I would guess that would be far more meaningful than a Tweet.

Right, you wouldn't Tweet that, if that was the case.

That strengthens the point that, this was a goodbye (style) Tweet. If he was planning to come back, he wouldn't have Tweeted at all.
I don't think you're right, you don't think I'm right. That's why we don't live in North Korea, we can disagree.

When he makes his decision, if I'm wrong I have no problem in admitting that to you and I'm sure the converse is true for you as well, sir.

I don't think you're right, you don't think I'm right. That's why we don't live in North Korea, we can disagree.

When he makes his decision, if I'm wrong I have no problem in admitting that to you and I'm sure the converse is true for you as well, sir.
I'm merely arguing that his Tweet is a "good bye fanbase, thank you for everything" style announcement that likely points to an Amir Coffey style decision.

If he does return, I will continue to say that the Tweet was an odd thing to do and poorly worded. Actually, the bulk of the issue is mostly in one sentence that could've been left out with almost no negative impact either way.

If he does not return, then so be it.

I'm merely arguing that his Tweet is a "good bye fanbase, thank you for everything" style announcement that likely points to an Amir Coffey style decision.

If he does return, I will continue to say that the Tweet was an odd thing to do and poorly worded. Actually, the bulk of the issue is mostly in one sentence that could've been left out with almost no negative impact either way.

If he does not return, then so be it.
Just put down the shovel... He wrote it the way he thought it should be wrote, not how you think it should have be wrote. Most of us understand it as a future looking statement and nothing beyond that. Kind of like how a resume it tailored for each and every job to make it look like they are all dream jobs. It is intended to show his enthusiasm for the next level.

There comes a time when you have to understand that your interpretation of a situation may not be the most common understanding. Learn from it and just stop bickering about it.

Most of us understand it as a future looking statement and nothing beyond that.

"Hey fanbase, I just wanted you to know that I'm still a player here. There would be no reason for anyone to assume that I would stop being a player here, because I'm not a senior. But I'm making a custom graphic Tweet, with a big, carefully worded announcement, to say that I'm still a player here, as everyone knows."

:rolleyes:

You're going to believe what you want to believe.

It is intended to show his enthusiasm for the next level.
Tweeting is not at all the way to go about it, and not at all required.

You've failed (not attempted) to provide an example where the NBA told a kid to gtfo because he didn't put out a Tweet.

That's because there never has been any such thing. They don't care about Tweets. Actions speak, Tweets don't.

"Hey fanbase, I just wanted you to know that I'm still a player here. There would be no reason for anyone to assume that I would stop being a player here, because I'm not a senior. But I'm making a custom graphic Tweet, with a big, carefully worded announcement, to say that I'm still a player here, as everyone knows."

:rolleyes:

You're going to believe what you want to believe.

Tweeting is not at all the way to go about it, and not at all required.

You've failed (not attempted) to provide an example where the NBA told a kid to gtfo because he didn't put out a Tweet.

That's because there never has been any such thing. They don't care about Tweets. Actions speak, Tweets don't.
Why does any kid do a top 5 or a commitment announcement instead of just telling the coaches? Pretty sure i even saw a top 11 tweet from someone recently. Just appears that this is what players are doing now. You can read between the lines or take it at complete face value but like all words there is always subjectivity.

Why does any kid do a top 5 or a commitment announcement instead of just telling the coaches? Pretty sure i even saw a top 11 tweet from someone recently. Just appears that this is what players are doing now. You can read between the lines or take it at complete face value but like all words there is always subjectivity.
You're actually making my case, though.

Players commonly (these days) do Tweet announcements during recruiting to announce top schools and then their decision.

When is the other time players commonly make a big, custom graphic announcement? When they're leaving, to say thank you to the coaches and fans at the school.

Carr just quote tweeted Robbins' announcement with exclamation points, which is a GREAT sign. I'd bet a lot of money that he's back next year.

Carr just quote tweeted Robbins' announcement with exclamation points, which is a GREAT sign. I'd bet a lot of money that he's back next year.

Is the date to decide 6/15? I thought I read that somewhere but nearly every thread on this site is usurped by 2-3 users arguing with whoever is involved in that thread.

It's how they communicate. Like we use to call our friends back in the day or when Veritas used the Pony Express.

Is the date to decide 6/15? I thought I read that somewhere but nearly every thread on this site is usurped by 2-3 users arguing with whoever is involved in that thread.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/03/tentative-2020-nba-draft-dates-deadlines.html

"
June 3 (11:59pm): NCAA early entrant withdrawal deadline

College underclassmen who want to retain their NCAA eligibility will have to withdraw their names from the draft pool by June 3. NBA rules call for a later withdrawal deadline, but the NCAA has its own set of rules that say the deadline is 10 days after the combine if the player wants to be able to play college ball again.

Of course, if the combine ends up getting postponed, perhaps this deadline would be pushed back along with it. The NCAA has expressed a willingness to work with the NBA if certain dates and deadlines need to be adjusted, and this is one that appears up in the air.

June 15 (5:00pm): NBA early entrant withdrawal deadline

This is the NBA’s final deadline for early entrants to withdraw their names from the draft pool and retain their draft eligibility for a future year. By this point, we generally know whether an NCAA underclassman kept his name in the draft or not, but this is an important deadline for international players, who aren’t subject to the same restrictions as college players.

Since this date always comes 10 days before the NBA draft, it figures to be delayed if the draft itself is delayed.

"

per Shama:

The coronavirus epidemic limiting social contact has put a halt to NBA tryout sessions and that can’t help the draft prospects for Gophers sophomore guard Marcus Carr. Even if the evaluation sessions were in place, Carr could be a long shot to be drafted. He seems likely to withdraw his name from draft consideration.

Go Gophers!!

Even if the evaluation sessions were in place, Carr could be a long shot to be drafted. He seems likely to withdraw his name from draft consideration.
If this turns out to be the truth of it, then his Tweet was stupid and in very poor taste. Shame on him for posting it and/or whomever advised him to post it.

If this turns out to be the truth of it, then his Tweet was stupid and in very poor taste. Shame on him for posting it and/or whomever advised him to post it.

You're becoming Built and Barnburner like with your obsession on the Carr tweet. Twitter has become a staple of communication even though it is horrible because of its brevity. Add the shortcomings of the vehicle to the mindset and maturity of a 20-21 year old kid and it becomes a cocktail of ambiguity, deliberate or otherwise. I'm not blaming a kid for tossing out language that sounds firm to the reader even if it wasn't firm to him. He could easily have just been displaying confidence but still be realistic about this year. I suggest you lay off the kid for now. I find it hard to believe he was deliberately trying to mess with anyone.

Top Bottom