Marcus Carr declares for NBA Draft

He is not close to being NBA ready. NBA is facing challenges and the G League. Plus the overseas market will be up in the air tough year to come out.

True. But we're 9-22 bad without Carr. And he sounds determined to stay in even if he doesn't get picked.
Why would he want to come back to this team with Oturu out?

Makes you wonder who else might be fleeing the ship?

I always wonder in these situations - who is Carr listening to? Family - friends - some AAU Coach?

He's a nice player, but I just don't see him getting drafted.

If he doesn't come back, my gut says it's G-League or Europe. Either way, he's cashing a paycheck and doesn't have to go to school - or pretend to go to school. For all we know, he may see that as a better option.

I'm gonna guess he's as good as gone. It's all about starting your professional career as early as possible to make the most of your earnings. I do think there's a good chance he can land a two way deal. Which would mean 75K minimally and over 200K if he spends some time in the league. All it takes is one team to like him enough to sign him to a deal like that. Honesty I wouldn't blame him for leaving at the potential to earn 200K or play for a team that probably won't make the NIT.

I don't know how the hell we are going to create any offense next season. If he does leave, all the best to him. We was great this past season.

I don't know how the hell we are going to create any offense next season. If he does leave, all the best to him. We was great this past season.

Defense wins championships

Defense wins championships

We've had like one good year of defense under Pitino. I doubt we'll be better on defense simply because Oturu won't be there either. Plus it's looking like a young team next year. That won't help.

People understand that declaring for the draft means absolutely nothing, right? If he was truly intent on leaving, he would hire an agent, and if he does hire an agent, he can still come back.

He will be back.
I believe he did something similar a year ago, but this is different. He's not just getting info, based on his statement. I think if he is given any hope of playing pro ball, even the G league or Europe, he's gone.

People understand that declaring for the draft means absolutely nothing, right? If he was truly intent on leaving, he would hire an agent, and if he does hire an agent, he can still come back.

He will be back.
It's way more than nothing. It is a step closer to making it a thing. I'm not saying he will or won't, but it is certainly not nothing.

If the NCAA opens it wide up, I could see Willis and Ihnen getting a lot of calls.

Legitimate question: is Carr even a top-100 prospect in the NBA draft?

I know that ultimately it doesn't matter because the number of guys declaring every year continues to go up because kids seem to hate college more than ever before, but it is crazy and sad that guys of his caliber leave college basketball earlier nowadays.

Does Carr even have a chance to land a 2-way contract? In theory, there are 60 of those jobs. Not 60 new ones every year. 60 in total. There's zero chance he'll get drafted. He's likely looking at a career in Europe or he can make 30k in empty gyms playing in the G-League if that's what he wants to do.

On one hand, I'm incredibly bitter about this state of affairs not only as a Gopher fan, but as a college basketball fan because it thins the talent level in college. Guys like Jared Harper, Tyler Cook, Oshae Brissett, Rayjon Tucker, Lindell Wigginton/Cameron Lard and Coffey could've made massive impacts on college basketball this year and are all likely, at best, end-of-bench NBA guys. I don't care about the NBA, and would rather see college teams stay good. Now we see freshmen that come in and play earlier than they should, transfers moving up from low and mid-majors playing bigger roles than they should and teams with less continuity than before. It saps the college game.

On the other, I get it. They want money. I just don't like it because I want the guys who I know aren't going to be NBA players staying in college.

It's amazing how every time you think this program hits rock bottom, something that nobody could have predicted makes things even worse. We have Pitino staying (almost assuredly because of the coronavirus), Oturu leaving (expected), Walton appearing to go elsewhere, and now all of a sudden the completely unexpected Carr news. This after 3 straight losing conference seasons and staring down the barrel of a lame-duck season.

If you want to look for a silver lining to this it would be MAYBE Pitino can get a better point guard in here (we needed one to back up Carr anyways) this Spring than he would have if Carr didn't declare. Then when Carr finds little NBA interest, he comes back and the PG situation is much stronger than it would have been if he didn't declare. It's at least a plausible scenario...more so than Marcus actually being drafted.

Legitimate question: is Carr even a top-100 prospect in the NBA draft?

I know that ultimately it doesn't matter because the number of guys declaring every year continues to go up because kids seem to hate college more than ever before, but it is crazy and sad that guys of his caliber leave college basketball earlier nowadays.

Does Carr even have a chance to land a 2-way contract? In theory, there are 60 of those jobs. Not 60 new ones every year. 60 in total. There's zero chance he'll get drafted. He's likely looking at a career in Europe or he can make 30k in empty gyms playing in the G-League if that's what he wants to do.

On one hand, I'm incredibly bitter about this state of affairs not only as a Gopher fan, but as a college basketball fan because it thins the talent level in college. Guys like Jared Harper, Tyler Cook, Oshae Brissett, Rayjon Tucker, Lindell Wigginton/Cameron Lard and Coffey could've made massive impacts on college basketball this year and are all likely, at best, end-of-bench NBA guys. I don't care about the NBA, and would rather see college teams stay good. Now we see freshmen that come in and play earlier than they should, transfers moving up from low and mid-majors playing bigger roles than they should and teams with less continuity than before. It saps the college game.

On the other, I get it. They want money. I just don't like it because I want the guys who I know aren't going to be NBA players staying in college.

Honestly, more times than not guys leaving early will increase the chances of the Gophers having the potential to be good. A year like this year, where it's wide open will happen alot more often if fringe guys leave. Sure it waters down the overall product, but I'll still love cbb in that state. This year was awesome around the country with as wide open as it was perceived to be.

I always wonder in these situations - who is Carr listening to? Family - friends - some AAU Coach?

He's a nice player, but I just don't see him getting drafted.

If he doesn't come back, my gut says it's G-League or Europe. Either way, he's cashing a paycheck and doesn't have to go to school - or pretend to go to school. For all we know, he may see that as a better option.
He wants to get the evaluation and see where he is at. This is smart. He will be back and maybe he will have a better knowledge of what it will take to get to the next level as a player.

Stop it. A lot of teams are losing players. Our roster without Carr is still better than NW.

5 of their 6 leading scorers return and they get a transfer eligible from sitting out last year. If you line up their top 6 with our top 6 theirs is probably better honestly.

It's amazing how every time you think this program hits rock bottom, something that nobody could have predicted makes things even worse. We have Pitino staying (almost assuredly because of the coronavirus), Oturu leaving (expected), Walton appearing to go elsewhere, and now all of a sudden the completely unexpected Carr news. This after 3 straight losing conference seasons and staring down the barrel of a lame-duck season.

If you want to look for a silver lining to this it would be MAYBE Pitino can get a better point guard in here (we needed one to back up Carr anyways) this Spring than he would have if Carr didn't declare. Then when Carr finds little NBA interest, he comes back and the PG situation is much stronger than it would have been if he didn't declare. It's at least a plausible scenario...more so than Marcus actually being drafted.

Settle down Dr. Doom. From the Strib tonight:

"Richard Pitino and his staff were told by Carr that he wants to return to the team for next season, but that he hopes to put himself on the NBA’s radar right now by testing the waters, according to sources with knowledge of the situation."

5 of their 6 leading scorers return and they get a transfer eligible from sitting out last year. If you line up their top 6 with our top 6 theirs is probably better honestly.
The old saying goes like this, the good news is that all of their players are back. The bad news is that all of their players are back.

I think they have some nice pieces who will be sophomores next year. I still like our roster better with Mashburn, Williams, Gabe, Willis, Ihnen, Omersa, and Mitchell over their top 6. It's closer, but I still take ours. That won't be the roster, just like they will have changes too.

Oh stop it! You make it sound like were the worst team in college basketball without oturu. Some people on here say get a good transfer and were not far off to making the dance. We have talent. Why would he want to stay? If that's the case why would anyone want to stay at northwestern or any team in college basketball that wont finish at top of conference. God almighty were not that terrible.

Top Bottom