Marcus Carr declares for NBA Draft

He's putting himself in the process to get feedback, evaluation to find out what he needs to work on for the next level. He's not getting drafted, unlikely to get a 2-way. I fully expect he'll announce he's returning to the Gophers before June 3.
Several posters had similar thoughts about Coffey.

Directly from Fuller's piece in the Strib today...

"The NCAA’s early entry withdrawal deadline is June 3. Richard Pitino and his staff were told by Carr that he wants to return to the team for next season, but that he hopes to put himself on the NBA’s radar right now by testing the waters, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. "

Carry on.

Pretty good chance he withdraws.
He should do that, if that's what's best for him. And if he then wants to return to the Gophers, I'm certain he will be welcomed back and treated as if he never intended to leave.

But there is also the possibility that he may not return even with a withdraw, isn't there?

This is a classic example of how awful of a ”fanbase” we have that post on GH!

We have a player with NBA potential that wants to get feedback from the pros and all you guys do is bash the program!

Did anyone think that Carr could play in the NBA before he set foot on the court in Williams Arena? No way, you were all complaining how Pitino messed up with Jelly and that we had no point guard. Now, after a season in the B1G and with developing as a player (OK, as you guys would say: Pitino allowed him to develop, can’t give the coaching staff any credit) there is a hint that he could eventually play in the NBA.

Be honest, how many people thought Coffey would actually be playing on good an NBA roster this season? How many thought he was going to be an NBA player out of HS. How many thought that playing him at PG was a big mistake? He developed, according to you guys, serendipitously while in college. The ball handling and leadership skills he learned at PG helped tremendously in the NBA. Etc...

And don’t forget about Murphy, who most of you thought was a late fill in recruit who turned into the best rebounder in school history. Miraculously!

And we now you all say we have a team with no talent even though our group of young players that was ranked 4th in the B1G recruiting.

it is no surprise that local players and young development programs look down on the U when we have the “fans” constantly bash the program on Everything. Do not be so naive to think all of this crap you guys post just sits in a vacuum. Anybody that wants to find out about Gopher BB has these threads pop up on a simple google search.

We at GH are the ones that at least have enough interest to spend the time to discuss the program, but are full of negativity on everything. There are numerous positive sides to just this little story about Carr, but no, it has to be about how terrible Pitino is and how bad our team is going to be....

you guys are disgusting!
We have people here talking up Northwestern. If we had the year Northwestern had and their returning squad, no one would be talking up how good we were going to be next year. The sky is always falling here and it is great everywhere else.

"The NCAA’s early entry withdrawal deadline is June 3. Richard Pitino and his staff were told by Carr that he wants to return to the team for next season, but that he hopes to put himself on the NBA’s radar right now by testing the waters, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. "

Carry on.
Ok.

If this quote had been in the OP, don't you think that might've tempered the discussion a bit?

This quote, is the polar opposite of what was Tweeted out by Carr himself. How are people supposed to know that words are actually code-speak?

Wow, short term thinking or what?! What is his Plan B? Indeed, what is his Plan A once he turns 30?

I'm sure he's banking on his talent and making a profession out of playing basketball. Obviously that isn't guaranteed though. If he can land a two way his first season and spend some time in the league he might have a chance to catch on. If he's 30 and spends his whole career on a two way deal and is able to spend some of that on the nba roster in a decade he could earn a little over 2 million dollars. Worst case he is the G League his entire career and will make 7K/month during the season. So he would have to supplement in the off-season by getting a second job, if he can.

This is a classic example of how awful of a ”fanbase” we have that post on GH!

We have a player with NBA potential that wants to get feedback from the pros and all you guys do is bash the program!

Did anyone think that Carr could play in the NBA before he set foot on the court in Williams Arena? No way, you were all complaining how Pitino messed up with Jelly and that we had no point guard. Now, after a season in the B1G and with developing as a player (OK, as you guys would say: Pitino allowed him to develop, can’t give the coaching staff any credit) there is a hint that he could eventually play in the NBA.

Be honest, how many people thought Coffey would actually be playing on good an NBA roster this season? How many thought he was going to be an NBA player out of HS. How many thought that playing him at PG was a big mistake? He developed, according to you guys, serendipitously while in college. The ball handling and leadership skills he learned at PG helped tremendously in the NBA. Etc...

And don’t forget about Murphy, who most of you thought was a late fill in recruit who turned into the best rebounder in school history. Miraculously!

And we now you all say we have a team with no talent even though our group of young players that was ranked 4th in the B1G recruiting.

it is no surprise that local players and young development programs look down on the U when we have the “fans” constantly bash the program on Everything. Do not be so naive to think all of this crap you guys post just sits in a vacuum. Anybody that wants to find out about Gopher BB has these threads pop up on a simple google search.

We at GH are the ones that at least have enough interest to spend the time to discuss the program, but are full of negativity on everything. There are numerous positive sides to just this little story about Carr, but no, it has to be about how terrible Pitino is and how bad our team is going to be....

you guys are disgusting!
Alchemy, I would assume most people are probably happy for any individual success of any players.

I also think it is okay for people to express their opinions on a message board as they see fit. Many people fought long and hard to be able to openly express opinions. There are places that require universal conformity of thought, those are places people do not want to be.

The next step of fans complaining is fan apathy, let's hope we do not get to that step. In the meantime, I think it is fine for there to be divergent opinions on the same topic. As long as people are respectful to the awesome kids who put a lot of effort into the program, it is all good.

I would say if Carr ends up staying in the draft and is not drafted and does not return it should be the end of Pitino. Second case in two years of players leaving early and not being drafted and being compounded by the fact he can't recruit to replace them spells disaster.

I would say if Carr ends up staying in the draft and is not drafted and does not return it should be the end of Pitino. Second case in two years of players leaving early and not being drafted and being compounded by the fact he can't recruit to replace them spells disaster.
I'm sure it would be, that's probably true. However, I note quite a different tone to this than when Coffey did it. I don't think Carr is going to go unless he feels that he is going to get drafted.

The being drafted part is overrated in some cases. Some agents will tell teams to not draf their guy in the second round so they can chose where they go. First round pick matters, but if a guy wants to make money like Coffey, the two way isn't a bad route and sometimes better if you can get in the right situation. The idea of not recruiting to replace them is kind of funny. We have a 4 star PG is year coming in and a 2021 Top 100 center already committed. We also got Ihnen late last spring. Not his fault Oturo blew up a year early (or maybe it was)

I'm sure it would be, that's probably true. However, I note quite a different tone to this than when Coffey did it. I don't think Carr is going to go unless he feels that he is going to get drafted.
It was also really well known locally that Coffey wanted to and was likely gone no matter what.

That is what the quote from the STrib seems to indicate. Which makes me all the more disappointed in the tone and word choice of Carr's Tweet.

Carry on.
I was happy to read this. I hope Fuller has it right. The Instagram post did not send the same message.

Kids also like posting things like this on Insta and Twitter to get attention. It's like NBA guys dying to get to free agency so they can be recruited again. Like the high school kids who can't get a Division III offer without shouting it to the ether. College kids like making a big fancy post with cool pictures and graphics announcing their plans and it feels like at least a good portion of the reason for it is to get attention.

We have people here talking up Northwestern. If we had the year Northwestern had and their returning squad, no one would be talking up how good we were going to be next year. The sky is always falling here and it is great everywhere else.
I know. Who thought we were going to be good in '04-'05 with that roster after the Humphries year? No one. Then it was Monson's most successful season.

Who thought we were going to be good three years ago after the 8-23 season (actually I did, but almost on one). Then we had by far Pitino's best season.

Sports are unpredictable and the doom and gloom is so over the top. Everyone is just always trying to say I told you so. We don't know what next year will be like at all. Am I predicting big things? No. So don't twist my words. But would it be crazy with a little luck in recruiting for once, Carr back, return to form by Gabe, and a surprise leap by Ihnen that we would be pretty good? No, it's not. And no one even knows what the rosters will be yet. But by all means, tell us how smart you are and then remind us if it turns out you were right.

There's a poll on the football board - will there be a football season?
Will there be basketball season? If you got your season ticket renewal would you send them money right now? When people dont know if they have money for rent/house payment car payment, the U can't really ask for their base to start coughing (sorry) up money. There is so much uncertainty.

Right now its hard to travel between the US and Canada. Carr is doing what he can to highlight his skills, get feedback and see what doors might open - because who even knows what next season will bring. It seems that simple to me.

Using this logic half the coaches in the country would be fired every year. Player movement is the new normal in college basketball. Kentucky just lost its entire starting roster, most of whom should not have left and will not be drafted. Add in a few hundred transfers with immediate eligibility and the college game we once knew is gone...forever.

I'm sure he's banking on his talent and making a profession out of playing basketball. Obviously that isn't guaranteed though. If he can land a two way his first season and spend some time in the league he might have a chance to catch on. If he's 30 and spends his whole career on a two way deal and is able to spend some of that on the nba roster in a decade he could earn a little over 2 million dollars. Worst case he is the G League his entire career and will make 7K/month during the season. So he would have to supplement in the off-season by getting a second job, if he can.
NM

Ok.

If this quote had been in the OP, don't you think that might've tempered the discussion a bit?

This quote, is the polar opposite of what was Tweeted out by Carr himself. How are people supposed to know that words are actually code-speak?

I've never met a young adult who was imprecise in his or her speech.

Last edited:

Using this logic half the coaches in the country would be fired every year. Player movement is the new normal in college basketball. Kentucky just lost its entire starting roster, most of whom should not have left and will not be drafted. Add in a few hundred transfers with immediate eligibility and the college game we once knew is gone...forever.
Hate to say it but I agree with you on the changing scene for college basketball. I always enjoy watching kids come in as freshman and sticking around until they graduate so you can see their development. Murphy was a great example. Seems like those days are fading away.

Other coaches replace players leaving, Pitino is starting to experience top players leaving early, he can't replace it at a high level like "Kentucky" ever much less every year.

Other coaches replace players leaving, Pitino is starting to experience top players leaving early, he can't replace it at a high level like "Kentucky" ever much less every year.

He replaced Andre Hollins with Nate Mason, replace Nate Mason with Carr, replaced Walker with Murphy, and replaced Murphy with Ihnen? He has Treyton Thompson coming in for Oturo who replaced Lynch (most thought he'd leave after next year). It's fair to argue there needs to be more depth sure, but you can't say he hasn't replaced anyone ever and can't say he doesn't do it at a good level.

He replaced Andre Hollins with Nate Mason, replace Nate Mason with Carr, replaced Walker with Murphy, and replaced Murphy with Ihnen? He has Treyton Thompson coming in for Oturo who replaced Lynch (most thought he'd leave after next year). It's fair to argue there needs to be more depth sure, but you can't say he hasn't replaced anyone ever and can't say he doesn't do it at a good level.
I believe he's referring to players leaving early. Every one of the players you mentioned (besides Oturu) played all 4 years, so it should be expected that Pitino was ready with a replacement.

I was happy to read this. I hope Fuller has it right. The Instagram post did not send the same message.

Correct.

My intentions are to stay in the draft and pursue a professional career in the NBA. However during this process I will be retaining my college eligibility status by not signing with an agent.

I believe he's referring to players leaving early. Every one of the players you mentioned (besides Oturu) played all 4 years, so it should be expected that Pitino was ready with a replacement.

Good call on that and the sample size is small since only two have left early so far. If Carr leaves, we do have Mashburn coming in. Coffey is all on Pitino because people knew he was leaving if he could. Coffey is a little bit of a unicorn to replace because of his size and length, but we are adding a 6'10" wing this upcoming year and Ihnen is more of a wing/perimeter guy too. Plus he knew he had Willis and Gabe, so he might have felt he had them replaced in his eyes. I just think there are bigger and easier things to be critical of Pitino on that are significantly more valid.

That is what the quote from the STrib seems to indicate. Which makes me all the more disappointed in the tone and word choice of Carr's Tweet.
It's also in Pitino's interest to downplay it. Take both with a grain of salt. I'd say it's 50/50 he's back which is higher than I thought last night.

You are right but you can say that it has not resulted in winning anything.

There's a poll on the football board - will there be a football season?
Will there be basketball season? If you got your season ticket renewal would you send them money right now? When people dont know if they have money for rent/house payment car payment, the U can't really ask for their base to start coughing (sorry) up money. There is so much uncertainty.

Right now its hard to travel between the US and Canada. Carr is doing what he can to highlight his skills, get feedback and see what doors might open - because who even knows what next season will bring. It seems that simple to me.
We were talking (at a distance) with our neighbors about that yesterday evening. Winter sports in general: my daughter's college gymnastics practices will begin in the fall. Will things be settled down enough by THAT time to begin activities? Not to mention, how are they going to keep their skills up in the meantime?!

Top Bottom