Marcus Carr declares for NBA Draft

Pitono should have been fired a year ago. Keeping him just prolonged the pain, and will delay any possible imorovrment. Stupid.

Perennial also rans. Get used to it.

I think it is good for the program (and recruiting) to have our players declare for the NBA draft or "test the NBA waters" for input. It is every player's dream to play in the league and we are showing the U can help get them there. As a fan, I hate to see them go but it also provides opportunity for someone else to step up. As a recruiter, you can sell both things.

Sounds like Vandy, Washington, Texas, UCLA, etc year after year.

Vandy will likely lose four guys early in the last two years and go 20-43 with three conference wins.
UCLA has ended their misery by hiring a really wonderful coach.

The old saying goes like this, the good news is that all of their players are back. The bad news is that all of their players are back.

Yeah I get they were awful last season. But who's our best player? Gabe? I really like Gabe, but if he's your best player you simply don't have good talent. He's best suited to be a 4th option type of guy. Is he better than Kopp? It's probably a toss up. Then go down the line. Do we have a front court player as good as Young? What's the difference between a guy like Willis and Buie?

I think they have some nice pieces who will be sophomores next year. I still like our roster better with Mashburn, Williams, Gabe, Willis, Ihnen, Omersa, and Mitchell over their top 6. It's closer, but I still take ours. That won't be the roster, just like they will have changes too.

That's requiring some big jumps in production from what we saw this past year and I have never liked relying on fringe top 100 guys to be significant impact players as Freshman. I hope I'm wrong though because they were certainly be needed.

People understand that declaring for the draft means absolutely nothing, right? If he was truly intent on leaving, he would hire an agent, and if he does hire an agent, he can still come back.

He will be back.

Exactly- he's simply looking for the feedback from professionals on what usgrade is now and what he has to improve on -its the smart move IMO for someone who has the skillzand body to be a pro, but needs to improve. The feedback is provided by a group which watches his tape, as they dowith others, and giveshim the feedback.

No one has any clue what the foreign leagues will look like or pay after this virusus in the rearview - betting on fhatis a sucks play - everyone is basically loosing cash now (with few exceptions).

The coaching situation has no impact on Carr leaving or staying so it is patently absurd to say Pitino should be let go now if Carr does not return. Not to mention now is a crappy time to go power 5 program coach hunting

It's amazing how every time you think this program hits rock bottom, something that nobody could have predicted makes things even worse. We have Pitino staying (almost assuredly because of the coronavirus), Oturu leaving (expected), Walton appearing to go elsewhere, and now all of a sudden the completely unexpected Carr news. This after 3 straight losing conference seasons and staring down the barrel of a lame-duck season.

If you want to look for a silver lining to this it would be MAYBE Pitino can get a better point guard in here (we needed one to back up Carr anyways) this Spring than he would have if Carr didn't declare. Then when Carr finds little NBA interest, he comes back and the PG situation is much stronger than it would have been if he didn't declare. It's at least a plausible scenario...more so than Marcus actually being drafted.
Richard pulled a rabbit out of the hat when he found Mathieu his first year. He needs something similar right now whether Carr returns or not. Obviously the uncertainty is a killer, especially with big needs at other positions.

This feels like it's just barely holding together right now.

I honestly think there is like a 1% shot he actually leaves. He has no shot of getting drafted and with the foreign leagues not playing there isnt likely to be a guarantee waiting for him over there.

As far as the conversation about who is better us without Carr or NW, I think its a fairly moot point to me who is, the giant issue is that we should NEVER be in the conversation of "well are we better than the worst team in the B1G?" We are not at Michigan States level, thats fine, but it is absolutely a disaster that we are even in the conversation as worst team, that alone should be a giant red flag that Pitino is simply the wrong guy.

Why didn’t he word his tweet that way, then?

You gotta sell it. What happens if he re ceived a better grade than anticipated? Same thing as interviewing for a job you don't want, what if they make you a ridiculous offer?

Also I don't ever recall anyone who has declared and wa likely to come back say I'm just here for the free feedbak, not proforma, and bad optics to the association IMO.

I'm gonna guess he's as good as gone. It's all about starting your professional career as early as possible to make the most of your earnings. I do think there's a good chance he can land a two way deal. Which would mean 75K minimally and over 200K if he spends some time in the league. All it takes is one team to like him enough to sign him to a deal like that. Honesty I wouldn't blame him for leaving at the potential to earn 200K or play for a team that probably won't make the NIT.

I don't know how the hell we are going to create any offense next season. If he does leave, all the best to him. We was great this past season.

Wow, short term thinking or what?! What is his Plan B? Indeed, what is his Plan A once he turns 30?

He will get valuable feedback on what to work on, and most importantly, they will tell him to go back to school, which he will certainly do.

Are they really that altruistic. If your a rep for a team with no depth at point guard, don't you try to sell him on playing on your G-league team as a way to get him ready to play?

I think it is good for the program (and recruiting) to have our players declare for the NBA draft or "test the NBA waters" for input. It is every player's dream to play in the league and we are showing the U can help get them there. As a fan, I hate to see them go but it also provides opportunity for someone else to step up. As a recruiter, you can sell both things.

So we really arn't a university at all, just a minor league training program? I can sort of understand the "I can finish university when my NBA career is over" line of thought. Sort of. But, this is more the "I'll try the NBA dream thing and if that doesn't work I'll just die in the gutter or whatever" line of non thought.

Agreed on the feedback but how are they going to give it if we are on an effective travel ban until late May, which seems more and more likely?

Like everyone else does these days: things like Skype, Zoom, and other programs.

I think he is just testing the waters. I think he will be back. He probably will get excellent feedback what he needs to work on.

Are they really that altruistic. If your a rep for a team with no depth at point guard, don't you try to sell him on playing on your G-league team as a way to get him ready to play?

It is a group which provides the feedback, aka a committee, and the information is aggregated and reported as such. This eliminates your scenario and also helps eliminate somewhat bias out of it,since more feedback will get you to a more representative mean for the average.

Last edited:

What I don't understand is do you have to declare yourself for the draft in order to get feedback? To me that should be something a player should be able to get on their own. I guess as a prospect the GM's, and scouts would give much more detailed feedback?

This is a classic example of how awful of a ”fanbase” we have that post on GH!

We have a player with NBA potential that wants to get feedback from the pros and all you guys do is bash the program!

Did anyone think that Carr could play in the NBA before he set foot on the court in Williams Arena? No way, you were all complaining how Pitino messed up with Jelly and that we had no point guard. Now, after a season in the B1G and with developing as a player (OK, as you guys would say: Pitino allowed him to develop, can’t give the coaching staff any credit) there is a hint that he could eventually play in the NBA.

Be honest, how many people thought Coffey would actually be playing on good an NBA roster this season? How many thought he was going to be an NBA player out of HS. How many thought that playing him at PG was a big mistake? He developed, according to you guys, serendipitously while in college. The ball handling and leadership skills he learned at PG helped tremendously in the NBA. Etc...

And don’t forget about Murphy, who most of you thought was a late fill in recruit who turned into the best rebounder in school history. Miraculously!

And we now you all say we have a team with no talent even though our group of young players that was ranked 4th in the B1G recruiting.

it is no surprise that local players and young development programs look down on the U when we have the “fans” constantly bash the program on Everything. Do not be so naive to think all of this crap you guys post just sits in a vacuum. Anybody that wants to find out about Gopher BB has these threads pop up on a simple google search.

We at GH are the ones that at least have enough interest to spend the time to discuss the program, but are full of negativity on everything. There are numerous positive sides to just this little story about Carr, but no, it has to be about how terrible Pitino is and how bad our team is going to be....

you guys are disgusting!

I believe he did something similar a year ago, but this is different. He's not just getting info, based on his statement. I think if he is given any hope of playing pro ball, even the G league or Europe, he's gone.

Last year it was an April Fool's joke he thought would be funny. He's putting himself in the process to get feedback, evaluation to find out what he needs to work on for the next level. He's not getting drafted, unlikely to get a 2-way. I fully expect he'll announce he's returning to the Gophers before June 3.

This is a classic example of how awful of a ”fanbase” we have that post on GH!

We have a player with NBA potential that wants to get feedback from the pros and all you guys do is bash the program!

Did anyone think that Carr could play in the NBA before he set foot on the court in Williams Arena? No way, you were all complaining how Pitino messed up with Jelly and that we had no point guard. Now, after a season in the B1G and with developing as a player (OK, as you guys would say: Pitino allowed him to develop, can’t give the coaching staff any credit) there is a hint that he could eventually play in the NBA.

Be honest, how many people thought Coffey would actually be playing on good an NBA roster this season? How many thought he was going to be an NBA player out of HS. How many thought that playing him at PG was a big mistake? He developed, according to you guys, serendipitously while in college. The ball handling and leadership skills he learned at PG helped tremendously in the NBA. Etc...

And don’t forget about Murphy, who most of you thought was a late fill in recruit who turned into the best rebounder in school history. Miraculously!

And we now you all say we have a team with no talent even though our group of young players that was ranked 4th in the B1G recruiting.

it is no surprise that local players and young development programs look down on the U when we have the “fans” constantly bash the program on Everything. Do not be so naive to think all of this crap you guys post just sits in a vacuum. Anybody that wants to find out about Gopher BB has these threads pop up on a simple google search.

We at GH are the ones that at least have enough interest to spend the time to discuss the program, but are full of negativity on everything. There are numerous positive sides to just this little story about Carr, but no, it has to be about how terrible Pitino is and how bad our team is going to be....

you guys are disgusting!

Preach my brother!!!

Obviously, you have never had a job interview!
I will admit, I have never published a Tweet to the effect of "I've loved working at Company X for the last few years, appreciate everyone there, but I am going to look around at other companies for a new job and seek advice on what skills I need to improve so that I can find a better company. But if nothing comes up, I will stay at Company X."

Have you?

What I don't understand is do you have to declare yourself for the draft in order to get feedback? To me that should be something a player should be able to get on their own. I guess as a prospect the GM's, and scouts would give much more detailed feedback?
Whatever the process- last year 175 and another 58 internationals applied for early entrance for a total of 233. 137 withdrew before it was over. Pretty good chance he withdraws.

Top Bottom