Kill still bitter on Fleck “As for my personal feelings I’m not taking him to dinner. I’ll tell you that.”; not sure if they’ll be a pregame handshake

I think he liked being a "glad-hander" and fundraiser guy, as well. I think that was to be a big part of it.

Good point. Kill went from not wanting to talk about his epilepsy nor make many appearances for his school, to being fiercely proud of getting out there and representing epileptics and the U and fundraising for them both.

Guessing that after telling so many people that have that disease "it can't stop you!", having it actually stop him hurt like hell. Honestly think he's wrong but don't have any close friends or relatives that are dealing with epilepsy either.

Hope the Gophers crush his team on the first, but wish him and NMSU well in the future. Particularly 2 weeks later at Wisconsin.

Last edited:

images (3).jpeg

When I heard the word feud I thought it was about these two. As far as the game goes Jerry might want to fasten his seat belt, its going to be a bumpy night.

Well, if it was rape, yeah, everyone is against rape. Not exactly going out on a limb there.

If it wasn’t rape, who cares? You don’t even believe it was a rape, you said it was a character deficiency to “run a train” on a girl while others watched, now you pivot to calling it a rape? It’s kind of BS to pivot from your argument and hide behind an empty accusation of gang rape to do it. That’d be like me saying that you’re immoral because it has never been proven to me you aren’t a serial rapist.

So you agree, if it wasn’t a rape, the players and Claeys got hosed? Or do you still judge that (and clearly only that) consensual sexual activity?
Whatever you and I think about it does not matter. The overall optics of the situation do, and even if consensual, it looked bad from a PR standpoint.

Either way, Claeys was never going to be the long term solution as head coach. You need someone who can sell the program to the market and to recruits.

Will be interesting to see how long he is HC at NMST. When he took the job I wasn't convinced he would last to this fall without stepping down.

The over/under has to be one full season.
If we beat them 56-0 I’m not sure he’ll make it through two games…

Interesting hearing Gaard and Grimm talk about the game and how they just want it over. They mentioned how loyal former Gophers are to the Coaches and not the program like other schools. Basically said there Kill/Claeys players who don't speak about the program for fear of getting a text from one of their former coaches. They said that is just sad and that every game/week should be like Penn State 2019 when it was all about the program.

Interesting hearing Gaard and Grimm talk about the game and how they just want it over. They mentioned how loyal former Gophers are to the Coaches and not the program like other schools. Basically said there Kill/Claeys players who don't speak about the program for fear of getting a text from one of their former coaches. They said that is just sad and that every game/week should be like Penn State 2019 when it was all about the program.
Huh? I've got no idea what you were trying to convey here. And what former player would give a rat's you know what about getting a text from a former coach. THEY CAN'T PUNISH YOU ANYMORE. Apparently Kill/Claeys players practiced without helmets a few times.

Huh? I've got no idea what you were trying to convey here. And what former player would give a rat's you know what about getting a text from a former coach. THEY CAN'T PUNISH YOU ANYMORE. Apparently Kill/Claeys players practiced without helmets a few times.
The gist of their comments was that some of the players felt it was disloyal to their coaches from the Kill/Claeys era to publicly praise PJ and the U and that they might hear from a former coach if they did so. No idea whether that actually happens, but that's what Grimm and Gaard said they have been told. No implication that anyone feared punishment, only that they were more loyal to their coaches than to the program or the school or that, at least, they didn't want to disappoint those coaches.

The gist of their comments was that some of the players felt it was disloyal to their coaches from the Kill/Claeys era to publicly praise PJ and the U and that they might hear from a former coach if they did so. No idea whether that actually happens, but that's what Grimm and Gaard said they have been told. No implication that anyone feared punishment, only that they were more loyal to their coaches than to the program or the school or that, at least, they didn't want to disappoint those coaches.
Thanks. That makes it a lot clearer. I guess I could see the loyalty in that regard, I think people were committing to the staff moreso than the university, especially early on when we were in the dumps.

Anyone planning to watch the second part of the Kare 11 interview with Kill tonight?

Anyone planning to watch the second part of the Kare 11 interview with Kill tonight?
Just got done. Shaver said tonight was the juicy part of the interview. Nothing new that we didn't already know. Kill expects to be booed out of the stadium. He claimed he had no idea he'd have to play Minnesota when he took the NMSU job (cough, "bullshit", cough). The thing I took from it is that Kill is both hurt and angry that he's not the coach of this program.

Is there something we don’t know about his exit here? By all accounts it was his decision, he quit on his terms, and he did so in the middle of a season. How do you quit a job and then be hurt and angry you no longer have that job?

Is there something we don’t know about his exit here? By all accounts it was his decision, he quit on his terms, and he did so in the middle of a season. How do you quit a job and then be hurt and angry you no longer have that job?
I can understand Kill being hurt and angry about having to walk away but he shouldn't be mad at anyone besides himself and his condition. He has freely admitted he didn't do the things he needed to do in order to take care of his health while the head coach here.

His pettiness towards the U and Fleck have made him look small and sad. Hopefully we blow them out of the stadium and maybe then we will finally be done hearing about Jerry Kill. One can hope at least.

I’ll bet PJ would take Kill to dinner and scoop up the tab. That’s the difference between the two, today, in a nutshell. And that’s why, though I very much respect what Kill did to build up the program, I am very glad that—as between the two—PJ is at the helm. I’ll take positive energy and optimism over negative energy and bitterness any day.

Last edited:

In this age of recruiting and transfers it's probably not real shocking that players don't feel connected to the school as much as they used to. It's more about the coach.

All I can think is that in his mind, it should still be Claeys as HC and Kill as either outright AD or something like "Football AD/GM".

That's Breakin the Plane's take on it.

Hope we're in position to pull all starters by halftime and just get the game over.

I’ll bet PJ would take Kill to dinner and scoop up the tab. That’s the difference between the two, today, in a nutshell. And that’s why, though I very much respect what Kill did to build up the program, I am very glad that—as between the two—PJ is at the helm. I’ll take positive energy and optimism over negative energy and bitterness any day.
Jerry would be offended that PJ is waving his big contract in his face.

The coaches have massive egos. Massive. We forget Kill has been dealt a pretty crappy deal with his serial health problems. He was prevented from achieving the greatness he felt was his destiny and right. Refuses help, advice. He has become bitter, lashed out inappropriately, wants more.

There may be some character arc similarities to eg Walter White’s journey. Prideful choir boy takes a turn. Dare I say many of us have this capacity as well.

I’m really looking forward to this game.

The coaches have massive egos. Massive. We forget Kill has been dealt a pretty crappy deal with his serial health problems. He was prevented from achieving the greatness he felt was his destiny and right. Refuses help, advice. He has become bitter, lashed out inappropriately, wants more.

There may be some character arc similarities to eg Walter White’s journey. Prideful choir boy takes a turn. Dare I say many of us have this capacity as well.

I’m really looking forward to this game.

It's possible you are overthinking this.

Saw this delicious response from a local semi-famous limo driver.

Attachments

• 3F1F544A-4A91-4C4F-8596-020C2F76250E.jpeg
    3F1F544A-4A91-4C4F-8596-020C2F76250E.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 80

I know the article quotes this, but definitely worth a quick watch. PJ brought up the handshake thing and I'm not sure how I can quote his grin while doing it but I laughed when I saw it:

Just got done. Shaver said tonight was the juicy part of the interview. Nothing new that we didn't already know. Kill expects to be booed out of the stadium. He claimed he had no idea he'd have to play Minnesota when he took the NMSU job (cough, "bullshit", cough). The thing I took from it is that Kill is both hurt and angry that he's not the coach of this program.
I hope Gophers fans don't boo kill. He's acting like a loser, but he made a contribution to the program while he was there. Don't think people should cheer him either given the press tour. Treat him like any other G5 coach.

Turning him into a rival does nothing. His team shouldn't be competitive in this game.

It's possible you are overthinking this.
Possible? LOL…No, guaranteed. Is there any issue not overanalyzed on Gopherhole 🤔. Why not armchair psychoanalysis.

Is it possible some guys like to discuss uniform colors or realignment scenarios while some might wonder what makes people like Kill or Fleck or any number of high achieving famous (or notorious) tick. Non-related to bagging on Jerry Kill but any GenX 70s and 80s kids would probably appreciate the new HBO Tony Hawk bio.

Nothing controversial here but I find it funny he still can’t identify Fleck by his name.

Top Bottom