Kill still bitter on Fleck “As for my personal feelings I’m not taking him to dinner. I’ll tell you that.”; not sure if they’ll be a pregame handshake

I believe the allegation was that PJ very early on (opening press conference?) made comments to the effect of "we needed to come in and clean things up" or something like that.

For all we know, it could easily have been Coyle who dictated that Fleck had to say that.

Regardless, Jerry (says he) took that as a personal slight, and has never received an apology, etc. So it has festered.

Again, all allegedly.
PJ talked about "culture" a lot in the press conference. Kill took it as a shot at him. We've now all learned that the 10th word out of PJs mouth is "culture" most of the time that he talks to the public. So what at first seemed like a shot at Kill/Claeys we now know was just PJ's normal talk.

Because everyone can't get enough of this story....Randy Shaver interviewed Kill a few weeks ago. Part 1 will air on KARE 11 at 10pm tonight. Part 2 is allegedly the 'big story' that will air on Thursday, August 25th.

So mark your calendars for more of this nonsense.
Hope they ask him how he feels about Claeys firing Limegrover.

I have to admit though, I'm gobsmacked someone can join in 2012 and remember his login and password in 2021.
Its taped next to the instructions on how to watch something on the VCR...right below the AOL login credentials.

PJ talked about "culture" a lot in the press conference. Kill took it as a shot at him. We've now all learned that the 10th word out of PJs mouth is "culture" most of the time that he talks to the public. So what at first seemed like a shot at Kill/Claeys we now know was just PJ's normal talk.
PJ definitely takes it to another level, but almost every coach in their introductory presser has some mention of culture - and it's not exclusive to CFB either.

Because everyone can't get enough of this story....Randy Shaver interviewed Kill a few weeks ago. Part 1 will air on KARE 11 at 10pm tonight. Part 2 is allegedly the 'big story' that will air on Thursday, August 25th.

Not only is it pathetic to do this to begin with, then they're going to air the 2nd part on game day. So stupid. They are trying too hard.

Edit: I need to learn how to read a calendar.

Last edited:

Not sure if Charley Walters sells any extra papers or gets any additional online visits to Twincities.com, but he sure knows how to generate web traffic to Gopherhole. ;)

Not only is it pathetic to do this to begin with, then they're going to air the 2nd part on game day. So stupid. They are trying too hard.

I’m excited for football to start too, but you’re a week ahead of yourself. 😏 It will air a week before the first game.

PJ definitely takes it to another level, but almost every coach in their introductory presser has some mention of culture - and it's not exclusive to CFB either.
Hell even Jerry told a story about how he read the team wrong when he came to Minnesota.

He said he showed up thinking he needed to instill some discipline so he was pretty hard early on. Then he realized the team wasn't a bunch of jerk-offs who thought they were hot stuff and weren't trying... they were in fact really down on themselves and he changed course and decided building them up / their confidence was the right route.

Even Jerry should know every coach has to change/ set a tone when they show up.

To be fair anyone who knew Flexk prior or followed him at Western Michigan knew his vocabulary.

I’m excited for football to start too, but you’re a week ahead of yourself. 😏 It will air a week before the first game.
But I don't want to wait that long.

Thanks, my days are all messed up with school starting soon as well.

Edit: I need to learn how to read a calendar.
I haven't seen any promos. Is this being billed as some sort of hit piece? I could see Shaver and Kill talking health issues and things like that. But again, haven't seen any of the build up. Would be surprised to see Shaver trying to do something negative about the program though.

a thought:

most coaches are like politicians. everything they say and do is carefully planned to maintain and promote their public image.

and then there are a few coaches who, for whatever reasons, don't give a bleep and actually say what they think - for better or worse.

Mike Leach is in that category, and I think Kill is similar. Kill doesn't have a filter. You can criticize him for that, or you can give him some credit for being honest - not polite honest or phony honest.

if you go back to the entire Shooter column, Kill clearly says that Fleck is a good coach. their issues are personal, not football-related.

you can argue that Kill broke the unwritten rules by not being blandly polite about a fellow coach. Or you can argue that Kill is honest to a fault, even when it makes him look bad. Personally, I like someone who is willing to say something unpopular, if he believes he is being honest about it.

Fleck came after a 9 win season and a rape scandal. Coyle did not fire Claeys for winning 9 games. So what was Fleck supposed to say at the press conference? How was he supposed to explain why he was hired? He can’t just dump praise on the previous regime and say everything will be the same when the guy who hired him was the same guy that fired the previous coach. Kill is so bad with the off field relations that he is blind to what should be obvious. You see that again when he publicly bashes the old NMST AD for the schedule. Fleck won’t have a bad word to say about Kill, I’d bet on that. Call Fleck a used car salesman if you want, but “old school” Kill sounds ridiculous grousing all the time.

Kill doesn't blame Fleck for Claeys' firing, but he does harbor some resentment for Fleck saying that there was a character deficiency in the previous regime.
Bunch of guys got suspended for running a train on a woman while others watched. Yeah, that is a character deficiency.

Reactions: MRJ

a thought:

most coaches are like politicians. everything they say and do is carefully planned to maintain and promote their public image.

and then there are a few coaches who, for whatever reasons, don't give a bleep and actually say what they think - for better or worse.

Mike Leach is in that category, and I think Kill is similar. Kill doesn't have a filter. You can criticize him for that, or you can give him some credit for being honest - not polite honest or phony honest.

if you go back to the entire Shooter column, Kill clearly says that Fleck is a good coach. their issues are personal, not football-related.

you can argue that Kill broke the unwritten rules by not being blandly polite about a fellow coach. Or you can argue that Kill is honest to a fault, even when it makes him look bad. Personally, I like someone who is willing to say something unpopular, if he believes he is being honest about it.
This is where you and I disagree. I don't think Kill is all that honest (or at least no more honest than the vast majority of coaches). I agree he doesn't have a filter, but that has nothing to do with relative honesty/dishonesty. I agree that all coaches have a schtick. It comes with the territory. I just think Kill has a difficult time with pushback where Fleck said out of the gate "some folks aren't going to dig me." That's not to say Fleck isn't bothered by pushback, but his skin is about fifty times thicker than Ol' Jer's.

Thanks, that sounds a lot closer than what I said. And yes, agree 100% with him using "culture" as part of his lingo, not at all a directed shot at Kill and his staff (not that it ever was, in the first place).

I haven't seen any promos. Is this being billed as some sort of hit piece? I could see Shaver and Kill talking health issues and things like that. But again, haven't seen any of the build up. Would be surprised to see Shaver trying to do something negative about the program though.
If anything, it's going to be more a hit piece against the U and Kaler, in those days, for "scapegoating" Claeys -- wild guess.

Pretty sure a mature coach doesn't have the sideline antics that PJ does, or dress so he stands out from his team and coaches, or makes the team clap for him as loud as they can before he enters a room or get "work done". I can keep going if you like.
Kill is not good enough to lick flecks shoes.

Pretty sure a mature coach doesn't have the sideline antics that PJ does, or dress so he stands out from his team and coaches, or makes the team clap for him as loud as they can before he enters a room or get "work done". I can keep going if you like.
Seriously, is this a schtick?

This is one of those times I'm disappointed in Shaver. In addition, not sure how he is treating his new Sports guy these days. Not a lot of smiling towards the new guy Reggie compared to past sportscasters.

This is one of those times I'm disappointed in Shaver. In addition, not sure how he is treating his new Sports guy these days. Not a lot of smiling towards the new guy Reggie compared to past sportscasters.

Probably still ticked-off that they let his son go.

I kind of doubt they’re going to run a hit piece against someone for taking a gang rape allegation too seriously.

In this thread, the work of the EEOA Office is done.

Yeah but there’s been a major shift in the political climate of the mass media since Me Too. IMO there’s no way Kare 11 would risk facing a backlash by running that story.

I kind of doubt they’re going to run a hit piece against someone for taking a gang rape allegation too seriously.
Apologies, badly worded. Let me reword like this:

they're giving Kill a platform to give the U, Coyle, and Kaler "a piece of his mind", and I would assume he indeed intends to do just that. (Within whatever legal limitations he has to obey with respect to libel/defamation.)

Which would be about "scapegoating" Claeys, I'd imagine. It's not like he can accuse the U of forcing himself (Kill) out ... he retired. For good reason!

I guess we'll see.

I like Reggie a lot. I think he does a nice job.

Shaver I think will always be very protective of sports in the newscasts, for obvious reason. And he still does the high school prep football stuff, he'll probably never let go of that.

What aired last night was a whole bunch of nothing. Shaver noted that New Mexico State is basically the worst program in college football. He asked Jerry if he'd had any seizures (yes, but nothing like they used to be, or so he said). Shaver mentioned that the Aggies are a massive underdog, which Kill agreed with and said he really has no interest in playing the Gophers.

Top Bottom