Kill still bitter on Fleck “As for my personal feelings I’m not taking him to dinner. I’ll tell you that.”; not sure if they’ll be a pregame handshake

I just want this game over - because I'm sick of the sideshow. It's time to just focus on football.

Kill used to work with Fleck. He doesn't like Fleck. Hey, I've worked with a lot of people I didn't like.
I think a lot of this just comes down to a basic personality conflict.

my bottom line:

I think Fleck is a better coach than Kill.

But, If I had to choose one of them to have dinner with, I'd choose Kill. Kill, for all his faults, seems like more of a regular guy. with Fleck, I still feel as if every word out of his mouth is part of a PR campaign to maintain his image.

I just want this game over - because I'm sick of the sideshow. It's time to just focus on football.

Kill used to work with Fleck. He doesn't like Fleck. Hey, I've worked with a lot of people I didn't like.

my bottom line:

But, If I had to choose one of them to have dinner with, I'd choose Kill. Kill, for all his faults, seems like more of a regular guy. with Fleck, I still feel as if every word out of his mouth is part of a PR campaign to maintain his image.
Jerry stopped being a "regular guy" a long time ago. I don't doubt that PJ makes a calculated effort to maintain his image, but Jerry certainly does as well.

my bottom line:

It's mostly been kept alive by the media.

Yeah, I think the prevailing sentiment will be indifference. Some will clap, some will boo but the majority won't really give a crap either way.

Kill is very polarizing here, but to the majority of fans he is just the guy who used to coach at the U. He didn't win enough to be a legend and he didn't lose enough to be seen as a joke.
Never underestimate the Student Section. I completely agree with you about the average fan, but in the student section, they pretty much react in unison (even though they don't know the background). I have a feeling the student section will be brutal.

The only reason some fans are so fond of Kill is his “country Jer” persona. Winning and losing is less important than coach personality to a fair number of fans, especially older ones it seems.

Nothing is being over-analyzed in this thread 😂

Speaking of projecting an image wouldn’t surprise me a bit if Jerry
likes using that beat up antique table because that’s what he is. A beat up relic, down on his luck, and the image of NMSU being comically underfunded makes it a win win next week - if they get run off the field well, everyone expected it. Look at NMSU, they can’t even afford a table for cripes sake. 38.5 margin. If they make it a game or pull off a miracle Jerry the hard scrabble rebuilder with his crappy facilities and budget showed up a wealthy BIG TEN coach.

The only reason some fans are so fond of Kill is his “country Jer” persona. Winning and losing is less important than coach personality to a fair number of fans, especially older ones it seems.

No doubt you are right. Many Minnesotans look down on flash, demonstrations of wealth, self-promotion (although Jerry just goes about it differently). To many Minnesotans flashy cars or extravagant homes (or metrosexual clothing choices) are often likely be suspiciously viewed as bought by people that are decidedly *not* wealthy in the common sense, as a means of artificially amplifying or elevating social status, those that arrived at wealth by seedy means, or are con men circus clowns. These Minnesotans are often of the Germanic or Scandinavian stoic philosophy, someone who is indifferent to pain, pleasure, grief, or joy or at least muted expressions of it. Bud Grant might be the epitome.

I actually think it's the opposite, we pretend to like the personas if they win and dislike them if they lose. I think Kill had a strong fan base because he helped guide us out of a terrible time as a Gopher football fan. Mediocrity felt really good after years of losing to some really awful teams.

Can you imagine the flaming PJ would be getting if he was a bad coach? He has a "how hot is your daggum chili?" every day.

Nothing is being over-analyzed in this thread 😂

Speaking of projecting an image wouldn’t surprise me a bit if Jerry
likes using that beat up antique table because that’s what he is. A beat up relic, down on his luck, and the image of NMSU being comically underfunded makes it a win win next week - if they get run off the field well, everyone expected it. Look at NMSU, they can’t even afford a table for cripes sake. 38.5 margin. If they make it a game or pull off a miracle Jerry the hard scrabble rebuilder with his crappy facilities and budget showed up a wealthy BIG TEN coach.
There are a bunch of lawyers in Texas who wear bolo ties and lean into their accents that pretend they are salt-of-the-earth simple country folk just speaking plain words. Many of them are Ivy League-educated, Big Oil-sponsored hired guns who live in gated suburban communities. But they sure seem like they are right out of Red Dead Redemption. It's essentially Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer from SNL.

Jerry has that. It probably played well to Minnesotans' humble sensibilities.

Never underestimate the Student Section. I completely agree with you about the average fan, but in the student section, they pretty much react in unison (even though they don't know the background). I have a feeling the student section will be brutal.
I really hope the student section keeps it classy.......

Gaard is over the top giddy with the attention he's gotten. Says he just wants the game over but spent a bunch of time this morning (and other times) talking at length about it. There's a reason why he's a sidekick...
Tennis player from Edina who is a Hawkeye is terribly cast as our Gopher’s football sideline reporter and KFAN’s resident Gophers expert.

It’s been kept alive by one person and one person only, Jerry Kill. That’s it. Not the media, not GH, just Kill. It’s the way he wants it.

Very doubtful. Just no benefit in it for him.

No doubt you are right. Many Minnesotans look down on flash, demonstrations of wealth, self-promotion (although Jerry just goes about it differently). To many Minnesotans flashy cars or extravagant homes (or metrosexual clothing choices) are often likely be suspiciously viewed as bought by people that are decidedly *not* wealthy in the common sense, as a means of artificially amplifying or elevating social status, those that arrived at wealth by seedy means, or are con men circus clowns. These Minnesotans are often of the Germanic or Scandinavian stoic philosophy, someone who is indifferent to pain, pleasure, grief, or joy or at least muted expressions of it. Bud Grant might be the epitome.
It really depends on what the money guys buy. Yeah, a 100 grand Mercedes might get that, but Minnesotan’s love the guy that shows up with his $60,000 truck towing a $10000 enclosed trailer with twin $15,000 sleds. Same money, different Minnesota appeal.

I actually think it's the opposite, we pretend to like the personas if they win and dislike them if they lose. I think Kill had a strong fan base because he helped guide us out of a terrible time as a Gopher football fan. Mediocrity felt really good after years of losing to some really awful teams.

Can you imagine the flaming PJ would be getting if he was a bad coach? He has a "how hot is your daggum chili?" every day.
Somewhat, but there is a portion of the fan base that still seems to hate Fleck despite the winning, and despite running a clean program, simply because they do not like his personality. It's the same portion that hated Brew and over exaggerate the depths of despair that he drove the program to. They act like the "blue collar" Kill worked miracles to get the team back to consistent 7-8 win seasons. To them Fleck was left with an amazing roster of talent while Brew left a JV squad for Kill.

Somewhat, but there is a portion of the fan base that still seems to hate Fleck despite the winning, and despite running a clean program, simply because they do not like his personality. It's the same portion that hated Brew and over exaggerate the depths of despair that he drove the program to. They act like the "blue collar" Kill worked miracles to get the team back to consistent 7-8 win seasons. To them Fleck was left with an amazing roster of talent while Brew left a JV squad for Kill.
I think this is a pretty small group at this point.

Fleck has also toned down some of the rhetoric over the years. He still has his slogans and what not but he isn't quite as in your face about it as he was when he first got here.

I may have missed this on one of the boards, and I heard a passing mention on KFAN, but what is with PJ not letting former Kill players visit the practice facility when the 49ers were in town? Anyone hear anything about that? I thought he was a fan of former players coming back?

Why does NMSU have ol Jer holding a press conference from a church table when there is a perfectly fine podium immediately to his left?
All jokes aside, I am somewhat worried about his health. He looked exhausted and his face was very red. The game is going to start out hot. Hopefully their medical people will be not only on top of their players, but coach Kill as well.

Regarding the table, I think that he may have needed to sit down

Nothing controversial here but I find it funny he still can’t identify Fleck by his name.

giphy.gif

Maybe they can play Destiny's Child over the PA system.[

I may have missed this on one of the boards, and I heard a passing mention on KFAN, but what is with PJ not letting former Kill players visit the practice facility when the 49ers were in town? Anyone hear anything about that? I thought he was a fan of former players coming back?

I have a feeling that is what led to this tweet from George Kittle. Aaron Hill is on the strength staff for the 49ers so I'd have to assume that has something to do with it.

Top Bottom