FSU Want to leave ACC and come to B1G

Probably 5 ACC teams want out. The exit fees are enormous. Big Ten and SEC want to pick and choose only the best.

North Carolina is interesting because of the basketball connection and a high academic institution.

If most teams voted to leave the ACC, then another trigger kicks in but the lessor teams would never vote for that because the Big Ten and SEC do not want them.

Stanford that just left Pac-12 for ACC is real interesting, jumping from a sinking ship to thin ice. Apparently Big Ten is not interested in Stanford. I would like Stanford for the basketball and also another team out west for west and midwest teams to play. Stanford is not lucrative enough, I suspect.

I think Clemson wants out the worst. Clemson and that whole area is cool to visit. And for the record, they have an African-American Republican senator and other prominent leaders, plus a former governor who was technically a woman of color, a Hindu daughter of immigrants who converted to Christianity, Nikki Haley, and pushed to get the Confederate flag off the state capital and greatly popular through it all. So the new South Carolina and the people aren't as Confederate as some believe. Golf there is excellent.
Saying Stanford is not lucrative enough is just hilarious. It is a jewel of a university. Huge research $$ and a top five ranked university.

Wake Forest, Pitt, BC, Syracuse, SMU, and a handful of others in the ACC will not be in a “premier league”. The only school that is a sure thing is UNC.
I was replying to a poster suggesting an SEC school in the state of Texas could be one of the first to jump from the SEC to the Big Ten, and the very obvious specific school being referenced is Texas A&M.

As I said in that reply, it would simply be better, at that hypothetical point, to just make a premier league of the "best of the best" of the two power confs rather than continue on the anti-regional NFL & AFL path that the Big Ten and SEC might be on.

Sure, but you and I might miss the days of a 10 team conference. Which is nostalgic for us, but doesn't align with the realities of current Div 1 football. I've just given up on trying to like or dislike all the changes, because they aren't done happening and we won't have anything settled for quite awhile. That said, I was happy with USC and UCLA because I live in Southern Cal and I get to see us play next year.
More than 10 sized conferences, I am nostalgic for regionalism.

That was, and I say still is, the lifeblood of major college football.

We've completely abolished any notion of East-West regionalism. But we still have, fairly strongly, North-South regionalism.

Throwing that out, is throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Wake Forest, Pitt, BC, Syracuse, SMU, and a handful of others in the ACC will not be in a “premier league”. The only school that is a sure thing is UNC.
I think UVa lands somewhere decent. They're a major flagship university.

And I have no doubt that with this new proposed division paying players - of course SMU is part of that.

FSU doesn’t like the situation it’s stuck in!!! Baghhhhh!!! I’ll huff and I’ll puff and I’ll blow your house down!!!”

:ROFLMAO:

Stick to your guns, ACC and ESPN.

They can’t do jack s__t. You know it and they know it.

Or they would’ve done it already, couple years ago.

And I have no doubt that with this new proposed division paying players - of course SMU is part of that.
SMU definitely wants to pay its football and basketball players. They probably don’t want to pay the women’s rowing team members the same amount (which is what will be required for schools that compete in this new division).

Probably 5 ACC teams want out. The exit fees are enormous. Big Ten and SEC want to pick and choose only the best.

North Carolina is interesting because of the basketball connection and a high academic institution.

If most teams voted to leave the ACC, then another trigger kicks in but the lessor teams would never vote for that because the Big Ten and SEC do not want them.

Stanford that just left Pac-12 for ACC is real interesting, jumping from a sinking ship to thin ice. Apparently Big Ten is not interested in Stanford. I would like Stanford for the basketball and also another team out west for west and midwest teams to play. Stanford is not lucrative enough, I suspect.

I think Clemson wants out the worst. Clemson and that whole area is cool to visit. And for the record, they have an African-American Republican senator and other prominent leaders, plus a former governor who was technically a woman of color, a Hindu daughter of immigrants who converted to Christianity, Nikki Haley, and pushed to get the Confederate flag off the state capital and greatly popular through it all. So the new South Carolina and the people aren't as Confederate as some believe. Golf there is excellent.
You're joking, right? The school where thousands of students got credit for "taking" classes that they never attended... The school that got away with athletes not going to classes because that was a policy for all students, not just athletes? Sorry, unless you're talking about marijuana usage, NC is not a "high academic institution".

Last edited:

You're joking, right? The school where thousands of students got credit for "taking" classes that they never attended... The school that got away with athletes not going to classes because that was a policy for all students, not just athletes? Sorry, unless you're talking about marijuana usage, NC is not a "high academic institution".

Sounds like shenanigans happening with athletes.

North Carolina absolutely is one of the finest academic institutions. It's highly selective. It's #22 ranked by US News, one spot behind Georgetown. WSJ ranks it lower, like in the 80's. Forbes has it around 28. Any school can be trashed. Yale, too many TA's. Minnesota, a commuter school. Etc.

Saying Stanford is not lucrative enough is just hilarious. It is a jewel of a university. Huge research $$ and a top five ranked university.
Nobody turns a TV on to watch academics. And at Stanford, athletics either.

Nobody turns a TV on to watch academics. And at Stanford, athletics either.
"Now starting at left desk!"

I think that was a Jim Valvano line when he was a guest with Roy Firestone in a discussion regarding academics and winning.

SMU definitely wants to pay its football and basketball players. They probably don’t want to pay the women’s rowing team members the same amount (which is what will be required for schools that compete in this new division).
I'm sure they don't want to pay the women's rowing team, but they sure as hell have the money to do so if it means a well-compensated football team.

Its gonna be hilarious when FSU makes you look as stupid as Washington and Oregon did :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
But he won't stand idle and let that happen. The rebuttal will go along the lines of: "FSU didn't get themselves out of the Grant of Rights - the courts did it for them. So technically I was right in my statement back in post #xyz."

I think you ought to obtain data on the incoming classes at UNC-Chapel Hill for the past several years. Take a look at the average high school class ranking (generally top 5%), number of high school AP courses taken by incoming students, number of valedictorians in class, test scores. UNC Chapel Hill and Virginia are about equal in academic rigor and are both highly regarded in academia; on par with Duke.

I think you ought to obtain data on the incoming classes at UNC-Chapel Hill for the past several years. Take a look at the average high school class ranking (generally top 5%), number of high school AP courses taken by incoming students, number of valedictorians in class, test scores. UNC Chapel Hill and Virginia are about equal in academic rigor and are both highly regarded in academia; on par with Duke.
...but, but, his post has a link in it and yours doesn't. ;) (Granted, his link goes no where.)

UNC and Virginia are both great schools...not quite up to Duke level but all 3 are excellent and would fit well academically in the Big Ten.

You'd think with "academic rigor" that students would actually have to go to class, and maybe even take a test, but nope, that wasn't the deal at UNC. And the only way they avoided NCAA sanctions is they correctly stated this was a deal for every student, not just athletes. Per my link (and you can find many more articles)...

UNC Report Finds 18 Years of Academic Fraud to Keep Athletes Playing

Chapel Hill, North Carolina (CNN) For 18 years, thousands of students at the prestigious University of North Carolina took fake "paper classes," and advisers funneled athletes into the program to keep them eligible, according to a scathing independent report released Wednesday.
"These counselors saw the paper classes and the artificially high grades they yielded as key to helping some student-athletes remain eligible," Kenneth Wainstein wrote in his report. He conducted an eight-month investigation into the scandal, which has plagued the university for nearly five years.
In all, the report estimates, at least 3,100 students took the paper classes, but adds the number "very likely falls far short of the true number." For the first time since the scandal first came to light five years ago, UNC admitted that the wrongdoing went further than academics and involved its athletic programs. In fact, Folt said, "it was a university issue."

Its gonna be hilarious when FSU
Do you actually want FSU in the Big Ten? Or just for me to be wrong? Just looking for honesty.

It’s one thing for East-West regionalism to have been killed. It still actually aligned fairly well with state cultures.

If North-South regionalism is killed, then college football is dead. Blow all conferences up. Turn it into English soccer organization.

You'd think with "academic rigor" that students would actually have to go to class, and maybe even take a test, but nope, that wasn't the deal at UNC. And the only way they avoided NCAA sanctions is they correctly stated this was a deal for every student, not just athletes. Per my link (and you can find many more articles)...

UNC Report Finds 18 Years of Academic Fraud to Keep Athletes Playing

Chapel Hill, North Carolina (CNN) For 18 years, thousands of students at the prestigious University of North Carolina took fake "paper classes," and advisers funneled athletes into the program to keep them eligible, according to a scathing independent report released Wednesday.
"These counselors saw the paper classes and the artificially high grades they yielded as key to helping some student-athletes remain eligible," Kenneth Wainstein wrote in his report. He conducted an eight-month investigation into the scandal, which has plagued the university for nearly five years.
In all, the report estimates, at least 3,100 students took the paper classes, but adds the number "very likely falls far short of the true number." For the first time since the scandal first came to light five years ago, UNC admitted that the wrongdoing went further than academics and involved its athletic programs. In fact, Folt said, "it was a university issue."
I'm not doubting the report. 18 years, 3,100 students, that's an average of under 200/year at a University that is in the multiple tens of thousands of enrolled students.. Chapel Hill also is the site of their Law School, Medical School, Dental School, Business School, Public Healyjj and many professional programs.

To All GopherHolers concerned about the academic rigor at UNC -Chapel. Take a look at this link regarding who is going to the school:

I'm not doubting the report. 18 years, 3,100 students, that's an average of under 200/year at a University that is in the multiple tens of thousands of enrolled students.. Chapel Hill also is the site of their Law School, Medical School, Dental School, Business School, Public Healyjj and many professional programs.
It's your Hill to die on (pun intended). From the article:

In all, the report estimates, at least 3,100 students took the paper classes, but adds the number "very likely falls far short of the true number. For the first time since the scandal first came to light five years ago, UNC admitted that the wrongdoing went further than academics and involved its athletic programs. In fact, Folt said, "it was a university issue."

Bottomline. UNC's academics became a joke when this news broke, and then they tripled down on it by saying the option of not going to classes nor taking any tests applied to not just athletes, but to every student. It really doesn't matter if something like 20,000 students did it. The fact that the administration stated this was accepted policy for each and every UNC student shows how incredibly low they set the bar for "academic rigor". If I was a UNC grad, I'd be pissed off at what they did.

Top Bottom