FSU Want to leave ACC and come to B1G

Didn’t click on whatever trash clickbait the OP Tweet is, and have no plans to.

People shouldn’t be allowed to make new threads with legit sounding titles only to post trash fake rumors that are lies to get more followers.

There should be an “All things conference realignment rumors” thread for this to go in.
You should be banned for a week every time you post something that's proven obviously wrong and/or idiotic.

there have been plenty of stories that multiple teams were/are looking to get out of the ACC.
at one point or another I've seen FSU, Clemson, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Virginia and Miami all speculated about.

the big issue is the conference grant of rights. for a team to buy its way out of the conference could mean paying an exit fee of anywhere from $120-million to $200-million.

as far as where they would go - depending on who you believe, the B1G supposedly/allegedly would have FSU and Clemson on the top of its list, but I have also heard people claim that the B1G favors North Carolina. so who knows?
I disagree. I have to think UNC, UVA and Ga Tech would be up there above FSU or Clemson.

GA Tech might be important due to the Atlanta TV market, and assuming UNC drives the Charlotte and overall NC TV market those two would be pretty powerful during contract negotiations.

Fla State is in the middle of rural Florida (extension of Alabama) and I think Clemson is out in the middle of nowhere too not exactly driving TV money.

Miami is interesting, because if it really is true that Rutgers brought the NYC Market, then it would be equally valid to think that Miami would bring huge value to the Big Ten, as they own South Fla.
Charlotte is in the middle of everything Carolina college related. It's about an hour away from Clemson and South Carolina. Two hours and change from the triad/ Wake Forest.

Duh.

Would also take Arizona State before either of those. And probably a host of others

This is getting ridiculous, seems like every team not in the SEC wants to join the Big10. Why not just get rid of conferences all together and make regional divisions like the NFL and be done with the lunacy that is college football nowadays.

This is getting ridiculous, seems like every team not in the SEC wants to join the Big10. Why not just get rid of conferences all together and make regional divisions like the NFL and be done with the lunacy that is college football nowadays.
The “source” “cited” in the OP tweet is someone who lies on Twitter. It’s a lie that the person fabricated out of thin air.

The truth doesn’t matter in that world. Only clicks and views.

Thamel saying NC and VA before FSU, CLEM.
I’ve always thought the targets would be, in order:
1) Notre dame - the destruction of the ACC may finally trigger this…but maybe ungettable
2) North Carolina
3) Virginia
4) Florida state or Georgia Tech
5) Florida State or Georgia Tech

6) ? I feel like there needs to be a 6th. Because a 9 game schedule with a 23 team league doesn’t work mathematically. Not sure who it’ll be. If they don’t get notre dame it will be 4.
All the options have serious flaws:
Team 6 could be:
Miami - private school with no fans
Clemson - not elite academically and not a cultural fit in the big ten institutionally…FSU not a cultural fit in terms of the cities and towns around it, but institutionally it is
NC State - not sure what it gains you if you already have UNC
Va tech - not sure what it gains you if you already have UVA
Louisville - a complete shitshow
Duke - same as NC State but a private school. Coach K is gone
Boston college - I would love but a private school in a non football area of the country
Syracuse - same as BC but in the middle of nowhere
Pitt - not sure what they gain you
Wake - no way
Stanford - ??? Maybe they re-enter the discussion as a carrot for Notre Dame
Colorado, Utah, Arizona State these are probably more financially valuable as markers than any of the other teams in this team 6 category

20 is a better number to schedule than 18.
19 and 21 and 23 are really bad numbers to schedule.
I feel like it’ll be 18, 20, 24, or 28
Maybe it’ll eventually be 32 and the big ten simply won’t play against other leagues anymore.

Their reasoning for joining the ACC was to have an easier path to the championship. Now that they were left out they want to switch? Their chances at the championship would be less in the Big10.

FSU is not an institutional fit.

Claiming it is, is false

Last edited:

Their reasoning for joining the ACC was to have an easier path to the championship. Now that they were left out they want to switch? Their chances at the championship would be less in the Big10.
You don’t need to win a conference championship to win the national championship anymore

...FSU not a cultural fit in terms of the cities and towns around it, but institutionally it is

Possibly you misunderstood my post, even though it was clear. Edited

That FSU was passed over by the AAU membership .... for U of South Florida :sneaky: tells you all you need to know.

Last edited:

...FSU not a cultural fit in terms of the cities and towns around it, but institutionally it is
Yup. Institutionally it is culturally similar to a big ten university.

That is not the same thing as saying it’s an institutional peer or it belongs in the big ten.

Do you speak English? Did you know that adding words to sentences changes the meaning of the sentence?

Did you know it is possible to be similar in some ways without being similar in all ways?

Hahaha

There is no such thing as saying "Institutionally it is culturally similar"

You just say "It is culturally similar"

Nice try

You don’t need to win a conference championship to win the national championship anymore
They’ll have to complete with the likes of Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Oregon, Washington, and Penn State. Their chances of making the playoffs wouldn’t be better in the Big10 than in the ACC.

Hahaha

There is no such thing as saying "Institutionally it is culturally similar"

You just say "It is culturally similar"

Nice try
It isn’t culturally similar. The crowd is not similar, the tailgate scene is not similar

The way university runs itself and the way people act within the university is similar.

They’ll have to complete with the likes of Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Oregon, Washington, and Penn State. Their chances of making the playoffs wouldn’t be better in the Big10 than in the ACC.
Disagree. They won’t play all those teams in one season + 10-2 puts them in the playoff.

They are more likely to go 10-2 in the big ten than win the ACC IMO
Easier to go 10-2 than go 12-0 or 11-1 + win ACC title game

15-20% of the big ten is going to make the playoff in a given year. 6% of the ACC will go most years.
I do think it’s easier to win the ACC than the big ten. I also think it’s easier to be in the top 20% of a 20 team big ten than it is to win the ACC

Last edited:

FSU is not an institutional fit.

Claiming it is, is false
Well, I would put it at 50/50 they join the big ten in the next 7 years. So you may end up being wrong about this.

You’re also arguing against nothing anyone has said in this thread

The “source” “cited” in the OP tweet is someone who lies on Twitter. It’s a lie that the person fabricated out of thin air.

The truth doesn’t matter in that world. Only clicks and views.
Its fun to watch you repeat the same things you were wrong about before and pretend you have some authority about stuff. You posted this same tripe multiple times about Washington and Oregon.

I doubt FSU ever joins, but not because of anything you post or say. You are the Doogie of this board, I bet the opposite of what you say and cash in more often than not!

It isn’t culturally similar. The crowd is not similar, the tailgate scene is not similar
Agreed 100%. It aligns with SEC in this sense

The way university runs itself and the way people act within the university is similar.
Probably right … because that is probably true at any university. Not sure what you mean exactly that happens here but doesn’t happen at Clemson or Bama, in this sense.

Well, I would put it at 50/50 they join the big ten in the next 7 years. So you may end up being wrong about this.
It wouldn’t exclusively prove that they are an institutional fit, because that could also just be the onset of some Premier League that has nothing to do with the academic values of the Big Ten.

We will see what happens.

Top Bottom