Fire PJ immediately please

For those who want Fleck fired, which is the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard, if you’re actually a Gopher football fan, be extremely careful what you’re wishing for. Fleck is the best coach this program has had since the 1960’s. He’d have to have multiple down seasons, and by multiple we’re talking 4 or more with Coyle as the AD and 3 or more with a different AD.
Yeah....you would think actual fans wouldn't be the ones making these calls as they have lots of proof that the grass is not always greener with years and years and years of failure in the football program from the 60's on. Fleck isn't perfect but he is the best coach we have had here in a long time and the best thing for the program is continued stability at the top especially with all the changes taking place in college football.

The "Fire now" crowd is mostly made up of the trolls that only come out after losses or when they think they might be able to find others willing to listen to their stupidity.

There is an agreement. Fleck was rewarded for a good job with a contract extension. His job is basically 100% guaranteed for the next four years. It goes through 2029. There's no reason to talk about firing the coach. Have to find other ways to vent concern.

There is an agreement. Fleck was rewarded for a good job with a contract extension. His job is basically 100% guaranteed for the next four years. It goes through 2029. There's no reason to talk about firing the coach. Have to find other ways to vent concern.
Why 4 years? I don’t remember the exact details but believe his buyout goes down after a season or 2?

Why 4 years? I don’t remember the exact details but believe his buyout goes down after a season or 2?

Yes, of course it's more complicated.

Bottom line is no university like Minnesota is able to pay a big amount of payout money for years left and then pay for another very expensive coach. And the public would be like, they shouldn't be able to pay more. You spent your budget.

You can eat the last year. We are nowhere near the last year.

And you have an agreement that someone has done a good job to keep the university respectable and now gets the next few years, despite ups and downs along the way. It's an agreement of understanding.

Everyone knew when the extension happened that it means locked in for the next few years.

Yes, of course it's more complicated.

Bottom line is no university like Minnesota is able to pay a big amount of payout money for years left and then pay for another very expensive coach. And the public would be like, they shouldn't be able to pay more. You spent your budget.

You can eat the last year. We are nowhere near the last year.

And you have an agreement that someone has done a good job to keep the university respectable and now gets the next few years, despite ups and downs along the way. It's an agreement of understanding.

Everyone knew when the extension happened that it means locked in for the next few years.
Few years I agree. Just didn’t understand the four years part.

All the extension did was make it obvious they had no intentions of firing him in the next year or two. Which everyone already knew.

As I’ve said before, those extensions are mostly for show.

Coyle has a much bigger problem with the other revenue generating team which has had horrible recent results and a dwindling, apathetic fan base. The football team still has fan interest and better results. Fleck isn't at the top of the watch list. Nor should he be.

Let’s keep PJ as long as he wants to stay so we can be mediocre until he leaves, K?

He's not getting fired this season. 6-6 this year and 5 or less next year might do it though. Will depend on the recruiting outlook, which is unlikely to be that bright.

This is Gopher Football. It's gonna take at least one bowl-less season to can someone.

the gophers won’t fire PJ. They can’t do better. This is one of the worst jobs in the Big Ten due to poor fan support and no big money boosters for buyouts and NIL.

He's not getting fired this season. 6-6 this year and 5 or less next year might do it though. Will depend on the recruiting outlook, which is unlikely to be that bright.

This is Gopher Football. It's gonna take at least one bowl-less season to can someone.
Well, that might be this year. They aren’t beating Ohio State and I have zero confidence that they can beat Purdue on the road. This team struggles so bad against teams they should beat and teams that have a QB with a pulse. They just might kick up and beat Becky because of their poor QB play. It looks like 6-6 at best to me.

I somewhat agree- yes he has stabilized us into a mid tier team. Definitely on the downward trend in what should be an easily winnable west- something he has not done in his 7 years. Luckily he beat Iowa which probably saved his job.

Unless you can land a head coach at the GA or MI or Ohio St level, no one will do any better than PJ. The NIL, easy transfer and the piling up of the best teams from the PAC-12 makes the B10 title an impossible task for the Gophers, who suffer from a plethora of pro competition. This year was our best shot: beat IL, Purdue and Wisconsin and finally win a title: then face a whipping in Indianapolis from Michigan or Ohio State. Gopher players were in high spirits, played hard -the defense as usual, but also the offensive line; but lots of dumb calls at crucial moments and the run game was spinning its wheels in the second half, while Athan's passing fell off enough to make a difference.

Well, that might be this year. They aren’t beating Ohio State and I have zero confidence that they can beat Purdue on the road. This team struggles so bad against teams they should beat and teams that have a QB with a pulse. They just might kick up and beat Becky because of their poor QB play. It looks like 6-6 at best to me.
5-7 this year still isn't getting him fired. I said at least one. His seat isn't even warm yet in the athletic office.

That’s crazy, we’re a part of the richest conference in the USA and our take home is about to go up, we can afford him
No they can’t. That money goes to fund all the other money losing sports. Gophers couldn’t come close to affording him. You need big money boosters who cover a lot that the conference payout doesn’t.

5-7 this year still isn't getting him fired. I said at least one. His seat isn't even warm yet in the athletic office.
I'm super annoyed at this very moment but the dude is safe. We still beat Iowa and own the Badgers and Huskers. This is the cost of a raised bar. We used to dance in the streets getting to bowl eligibility.

No they can’t. That money goes to fund all the other money losing sports. Gophers couldn’t come close to affording him. You need big money boosters who cover a lot that the conference payout doesn’t.
I dont think the U has any interest in winning at all costs, up to and including sexual harassment or ignoring/hiding domestic violence. Meyer is a good coach but he's a human trash bin.

The Gophers are no better than every other team in the B1G West. We could lose or win any. The whole division is terrible.

I dont think the U has any interest in winning at all costs, up to and including sexual harassment or ignoring/hiding domestic violence. Meyer is a good coach but he's a human trash bin.
It’s a non issue as he wouldn’t even answer a call for the gopher job to begin with. If he coaches again, which I’m not convinced he will, it will be at a job with NIL money to be able to recruit top level talent

It’s pretty simple really.
Fire Coyle and get an AD that can fundraise and is good with big finance and change the landscape. Then go get the right coach for the job when money isn’t an issue anymore.

There aren't any big donors who want to donate to an big urban commuter school that hasn't, and apparently doesn't really want to, win a Big10 basketball or football title since 1982.
Hell, even Northwestern has what 3 or 4 football titles the last 25 years?

There aren't any big donors who want to donate to an big urban commuter school that hasn't, and apparently doesn't really want to, win a Big10 basketball or football title since 1982.
Hell, even Northwestern has what 3 or 4 football titles the last 25 years?
Exactly - Mega 👅 couldn’t even get enough 💰 for the Athletes’ Village

Top Bottom