Fire PJ immediately please

If we can only lose by 30 to Michigan would be a miracle. The offense is 1960's . Run 80% of the time and throw passes that most high schools throw. The defense is slow. Not elite
What about today made you decide to post out here after a 6+ year hiatus?

There are no pro teams in Madison nor Iowa City. Fans' and media attention are undiluted. Blue chip recruits want to be on page 1. The Gophers outperformed and out-recruited both UW and UI until 1961 when the Vikings (and Twins) came to the TCs and the Gopher decline vis-a-vis those two programs began. Besides not having pro teams (Vikings, Twins, TWolves, Wild, Lynx) sucking attention and dollars away from the college teams, those two Universities are in college towns with college atmospheres while the Gophers are in a metro area with a sagging reputation.
The administration chose to de-emphasize football post 1967. That was a hole to dig out of.

The administration wouldn't go to bat for Musselman, Dutcher or Haskins in the face of those scandals. They threw them under the bus.

The administration kept the loser Doug Woog and his "recruit Minnesota only" philosophy around far too long.

See a pattern here? I used to think that the professional teams and lack of a "college town" were the reason for the athletic malaise here. I no longer believe that. If you want big time college sports success, the administration has to be all in on the win at all costs mentality.

I would say Lou Holtz did better. I honestly believe if he had stayed at the U he would have made them a national power.
Then we would have faced the death penalty rather than sanctions.

That POS put every college team he coached on sanctions.

And with that long career of proven cheating, he won a grand total of 1 natty, and went into the college football hall of fame. Disgusting.

The administration chose to de-emphasize football post 1967. That was a hole to dig out of.

The administration wouldn't go to bat for Musselman, Dutcher or Haskins in the face of those scandals. They threw them under the bus.

The administration kept the loser Doug Woog and his "recruit Minnesota only" philosophy around far too long.

See a pattern here? I used to think that the professional teams and lack of a "college town" were the reason for the athletic malaise here. I no longer believe that. If you want big time college sports success, the administration has to be all in on the win at all costs mentality.
Sid Hartman was told that 1967 was the last time, and Sid laughed his ass off at the guy. I can't remember the guys name.

Anyway, the gophers were playing the African American athlete and not many others were. The others caught on and the rest is history.

Some guys just aren’t coordinator material.

But who unquestionably is, is that guy who called the offense for the Outback Bowl against Auburn. That guy called a hell of a game and most definitely is coordinator material.

I don’t know what he’s up to these day, but I wonder if he’d consider the coordinator job here??
You’ve talked me intonit

I’m in

Simon for dictator

We have thrown the ball on 41% of plays this year, and that doesn’t account for pass plays that turned into runs. Why do people make things up that can be so easily proven false?
To be fair, that stat is heavily influenced by week 1. Since then it’s been very run heavy.

389-187-40
Gophers made 12 NCAA appearances in 14 seasons, six NCAA Final Four appearances, and Woog became Minnesota's all-time winningest coach.

389-187-40
Gophers made 12 NCAA appearances in 14 seasons, six NCAA Final Four appearances, and Woog became Minnesota's all-time winningest coach.
He never won a national title. Period. End of story.

We have thrown the ball on 41% of plays this year, and that doesn’t account for pass plays that turned into runs. Why do people make things up that can be so easily proven false?
We did run on 78.5% of plays (passed on 21.5%) against Louisiana, but I don’t doubt your overall season stat. If we go uni-dimensional and 90% predictable against the Wolverines, it could get unnecessarily ugly.

someone else.

Look I get the “ok smart guy” routine. I don’t know who. I’m not immersed in coaching circles. But a dude with a terrible team who was not coach 2 months ago just took PJ to the woodshed

I think the “well who the fuck wants to coach Minny in the big ten” counter argument isn’t very good
Minnesota is not a very attractive job for the type of coach you want, it’s just not. The financial and fan support is not there. I was surprised we got Fleck. We were fortunate to get Fleck, best coach MN has had since the 1960’s, hands down.

I have plenty of complaints about the administration here, but you calling Wooger a loser is beyond idiotic. There’s enough to criticize about the admin without being dumb.
We talk all the time on this board about blue bloods and helmet schools. Well, in the niche sport of college hockey, Minnesota is, or should be, one of those. That Minnesota never won a natty between Brooks and Lucia is a joke. Woog's provincial "Minnesota only" recruiting philosophy was part of that era.

I've said many times here and will continue to do so - this is entertainment. You do whatever you have to do to win, and I don't care if it means backing up a truck of hookers, blow, and bags of unmarked bills to get the best talent possible. Woog didn't do that with his recruiting philosophy.

We talk all the time on this board about blue bloods and helmet schools. Well, in the niche sport of college hockey, Minnesota is, or should be, one of those. That Minnesota never won a natty between Brooks and Lucia is a joke. Woog's provincial "Minnesota only" recruiting philosophy was part of that era.

I've said many times here and will continue to do so - this is entertainment. You do whatever you have to do to win, and I don't care if it means backing up a truck of hookers, blow, and bags of unmarked bills to get the best talent possible. Woog didn't do that with his recruiting philosophy.
Woof’s teams hardly lacked talent. A one and done tournament makes for a lot of randomness. And guess what, once Woog started to not compete for titles he was shown the door.

Just admit you picked a dumb example.

Woof’s teams hardly lacked talent. A one and done tournament makes for a lot of randomness. And guess what, once Woog started to not compete for titles he was shown the door.

Just admit you picked a dumb example.
Especially bad since there were lots of rumors of Woog paying for things for players with his own money.

Especially bad since there were lots of rumors of Woog paying for things for players with his own money.
He actually got caught slipping Sean McAlpine (I think) $500, didn't he?

He actually got caught slipping Sean McAlpine (I think) $500, didn't he?
Don't remember the amount but that sounds like it. I think I heard other players too.

KOC should be fired long before PJ.

KOC should be fired long before PJ.
He is going to have to adjust. Last year he was always calling the right things at the right times.
This year people seem to be prepared for all his quick hitters, screens, etc

Minnesota is not a very attractive job for the type of coach you want, it’s just not. The financial and fan support is not there. I was surprised we got Fleck. We were fortunate to get Fleck, best coach MN has had since the 1960’s, hands down.
No, he's not, and he shouldn't be fired. He's about the same as Mason, with the benefit of playing in the Big Ten West making people like you think he's better than he is. He's really not very different than Kill, just has the benefit of inheriting a much better program than Kill, and we don't really know what Kill would have done given his health. And, get over your recency bias, Cal Stoll did well with a schedule you can't even compare to today.

Fleck's best year he took advantage of previous regime recruits, just as he should have. I don't think he should be fired, and people who want to put up a statue are crazy. He's been pretty average. Yes, he won nine games the last couple of years, beating no one because of such an easy schedule that previous coaches didn't have the benefit of. Finally, quit blaming the offensive coordinators for our offense - that's all PJ.

No, he's not, and he shouldn't be fired. He's about the same as Mason, with the benefit of playing in the Big Ten West making people like you think he's better than he is.
Disagree with this. Back in the 11 team big ten with 8 conference games it was much easier to win the big ten.

He's really not very different than Kill, just has the benefit of inheriting a much better program than Kill, and we don't really know what Kill would have done given his health.
Disagree he isn’t different than kill. fleck has people who started this thread coming off back to back seasons with more wins than Kill’s best year. That alone is proof he has raised the bar.
And, get over your recency bias, Cal Stoll did well with a schedule you can't even compare to today.
Agree. The gopher football program in the 1970’s is underrated by many fans
Fleck's best year he took advantage of previous regime recruits, just as he should have. I don't think he should be fired, and people who want to put up a statue are crazy. He's been pretty average. Yes, he won nine games the last couple of years, beating no one because of such an easy schedule that previous coaches didn't have the benefit of. Finally, quit blaming the offensive coordinators for our offense - that's all PJ.
Disagree with the schedule. Masons best years:
1999 - 1-1 against the top 4 non gophers in the conference. Only 8 conference games.
Beat 1-7, 4-4, 5-3, 3-5, 0-8
Lost to 7-1, 4-4, 3-5

2003 - 0-3 against the top 5 non gophers in the conference. Only 8 conference games.
Beat 4-4, 1-7, 0-8, 1-7, 4-4
Lost to 7-1, 6-2, 5-3

2013 kill - 0-2 vs top 3 - this was a tougher schedule. But only 8 conference games still. Beat a 5-3 team, a 4-4 team, a 3-5 team, a 1-7 team. Lost to an 8-0, a 6-2, a 5-3, and a 3-5.

2014 kill - 0-2 vs top 3. 8 game conference schedule.
Beat a 5-3, 4-4, 3-5, 3-5, 1-7
Lost to an 8-0, 7-1, 3-5

2019 Fleck - 1-1 vs top 3. 9 conference game schedule.
Beat a 7-2, 4-5, 3-6, 3-6, 1-8, 1-8, 0-9
Lost to a 7-2, 6-3

2021 fleck - 0-2 vs top 4
Beat 6-3, 6-3, 3-6, 1-8, 1-8, 0-9
Lost to 8-1, 7-2, 4-5

2022 fleck I would say is not as good as any of the seasons I just listed. Except maybe 2013 so I won’t do a breakdown
Didn’t do 2016 Claeys because no one mentioned him

The most difficult era of schedule was maybe the legends leaders in terms of conference, but you only played 8 conference games.

Mason was clearly in the easiest era of winning the conference. The easiest era of playing in the big ten was when the league was at 11 teams, only 8 conference games after expanding to a full time 12 game schedule.
The easiest era for big ten teams was from 2002-2010. If anyone debates that this was the easiest era for big ten football coaches they are flat out wrong.

In spite of being in the west, the 2023 schedule is probably the most difficult schedule the gophers have played since expanding to 12 game schedules in 2002.

Last edited:

No, he's not, and he shouldn't be fired. He's about the same as Mason, with the benefit of playing in the Big Ten West making people like you think he's better than he is. He's really not very different than Kill, just has the benefit of inheriting a much better program than Kill, and we don't really know what Kill would have done given his health. And, get over your recency bias, Cal Stoll did well with a schedule you can't even compare to today.

He took advantage of more of the previous regimes recruits during his worst year.

For those who want Fleck fired, which is the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard, if you’re actually a Gopher football fan, be extremely careful what you’re wishing for. Fleck is the best coach this program has had since the 1960’s. He’d have to have multiple down seasons, and by multiple we’re talking 4 or more with Coyle as the AD and 3 or more with a different AD.

For those who want Fleck fired, which is the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard, if you’re actually a Gopher football fan, be extremely careful what you’re wishing for. Fleck is the best coach this program has had since the 1960’s. He’d have to have multiple down seasons, and by multiple we’re talking 4 or more with Coyle as the AD and 3 or more with a different AD.
Exactly,he’s not going anywhere, program is in good hands

Despite being in the west, the 2023 schedule is probably the most difficult schedule the gophers have played since expanding to 12 game schedules in 2002.

2015 final polls had 6 of our opponents in top 25, 4 in top 12. That was tougher than this year:

#4 Ohio State (#1 when we played then in Columbus)
#7 TCU (#2 when we played them)
#9 Iowa (#8 when we played them in Iowa City)
#12 Michigan
# 21 Wisconsin
#24 Northwestern.

Nebraska was good too. They would beat UCLA in Bowl...Huskers also beat #6 MSU, lost to Miami in OT, had three other losses by a combined 5 points.

CSU and Ohio were both Bowl teams and solid.

2015 final polls had 6 of our opponents in top 25, 4 in top 12. That was tougher than this year:

#4 Ohio State (#1 when we played then in Columbus)
#7 TCU (#2 when we played them)
#9 Iowa (#8 when we played them in Iowa City)
#12 Michigan
# 21 Wisconsin
#24 Northwestern.

Nebraska was good too. They would beat UCLA in Bowl...Huskers also beat #6 MSU, lost to Miami in OT, had three other losses by a combined 5 points.

CSU and Ohio were both Bowl teams and solid.
2015 would definitely be in contention for toughest schedules in recent memory

Who started this B!llsh!t thread? If you lived through Air Wacker you would never utter crap like this. We never stood a chance on defense the whole of Wackers years.

Top Bottom