Fire PJ immediately please

He could have gone 1-11 this year and he wouldn't have gotten fired. Resurrecting this thread after every loss is dumb.

UCLA, no. Washington, no.

Penn State = Ohio State and Michigan.

But you can convince yourself of whatever you want, with no valid justification.

PJ shouldn't be fired but the media in MN needs to ask him questions ...

Why do we recruit pocket passes when a mobile QB in this offense would do wonders ?

Why are we playing deep cover 2 zone with no pass rush ? This gives the opposing QB time to pick us apart.

What has to happen for us to get a coach here that has experience developing a QB ?

UCLA, no. Washington, no.

Penn State = Ohio State and Michigan.

But you can convince yourself of whatever you want, with no valid justification.
As I said, you can go ahead and be afraid of an above average program if you want.
Penn state has fewer big ten titles than Michigan state and Wisconsin since Nebraska expansion. They are better right now.

10-15 year trends

You’re right though.
UCLA
Penn state
Washington
Unbeatable!

10-15 year trends mean nothing. Fact is that only two of those five teams that we don't have next year will be bowling.....while all five of their replacements WILL be bowling.

But yeah.....we should be basing schedule difficulty upon what these teams did a decade ago. :rolleyes:

Pre East/West is completely irrelevant. Very odd to even bring it up.

In the East/West era, both MSU and PSU have one.

Because both are not as good as OSU or Mich, most years.

Therefore PSU is the same as Iowa? Just dishonesty.

Here's the most I'll go for 2024:

something like
Mich, OSU: 1% chance we win
PSU: 5% chance we win
UCLA: 30%
rest are 35% and higher

I don’t care if he gets fired, or decides to become a preacher or if he takes a different football job voluntarily I’d like to see him go just because his poor game day planning and his poor game day coaching and his style of play just sucks all the fun out of 12 or 13 Saturdays in the fall,
I resent the shit out of that.

With the one-time transfer, portal, and NIL .... you really can only go off this year, for looking forward.

Past years are essentially a red herring.
By that same logic, you can't really look forward, either. If you are going to ignore history, then forecasts also need to be ignored.

The bottom line is, you have absolutely no idea what can or will happen. Nobody does, so stop fretting about it.

I don’t care if he gets fired, or decides to become a preacher or if he takes a different football job voluntarily I’d like to see him go just because his poor game day planning and his poor game day coaching and his style of play just sucks all the fun out of 12 or 13 Saturdays in the fall,
I resent the shit out of that.
At least yours is an honest opinion, and there are times where I would agree with you.

I sometimes feel like the CPU gets overloaded and blue screens when there is just too much stuff to process. I also feel the revolving door of OC's and co-OC's is not doing him or the players any favors. The position has been volatile the past several years, and the offense has struggled to find any rhythm or identity since 2019.

As a point of fact:

PJ Fleck has a contract for several years and not going anywhere. Any oust Fleck movement has to wait three years.

I'm not taking sides, just saying the facts.

The facts are that he's for certain the coach of the first two seasons of the West Coast coming on board the Big Ten.

Make your conclusions at the end of that time.

10-15 year trends mean nothing. Fact is that only two of those five teams that we don't have next year will be bowling.....while all five of their replacements WILL be bowling.

But yeah.....we should be basing schedule difficulty upon what these teams did a decade ago. :rolleyes:
Nothing means anything!
Everybody panic!

The schedule strengths are the same because TEN YEARS AGO!!!
PANIC

ITS AN IMPOSSIBLE SCHEDULE BECAUSE STOCKER IS AFRAID OF MARYLAND AND UCLA!!!!!

ALL CAPS MAKES IT SCARIER!!!!

HOLY CRAP A WASHINGTON TEAM THAT WAS 4-8 in 2021!!!

I was thinking about if PJs record being better than prior coaches then why does his regime feel less fun or fulfilling at least to me. I think he’s found himself in a much easier Big Ten. Drew Brees and Alstott aren’t around for Purdue. Wisconsin and Iowa had some very good teams for the two decades pre-PJ. They brought in Rutgers, Maryland, and Nebraska, and all of those are middling teams. I think the Big Ten was much more of a gauntlet back in the day than what PJ has encountered. I think the Mason teams of AAK and Cupito and all his great running backs and OL through the years would of done probably just as well if not better as PJ has in todays version of the big 10 even with their generally sub par D. PJ trying to roll out his game day philosophy and strategy against the Big Ten of 20 years ago we would’ve gotten his doors blown off a lot more than he does now. I’m not pining for Mason or calling for his return or anything stupid like that he had plenty of warts I’m just asking for some perspective relative to what we’re dealing with today with PJ comparatively — people are very quick to cite his record and I don’t think that tells even half the story.

the gophers won’t fire PJ. They can’t do better. This is one of the worst jobs in the Big Ten due to poor fan support and no big money boosters for buyouts and NIL.
Not to suggest fleck should be fired, but leipold at kansas and dickert at WSU are 2 examples of coaches doing well at programs that have even worse situations than Minnesota. Kansas doesn't give a shoot about football, while Washington State is in Pullman, a city similar to Marshall, MN - tiny town (not even a city) in the middle of nowhere. I would think either would be interested in interviewing for a job like the Gophers. Again, I'm not suggesting fleck should be fired, but I don't think the Gophers are as unattractive of a job as our own fans suggest.

I was thinking about if PJs record being better than prior coaches then why does his regime feel less fun or fulfilling at least to me. I think he’s found himself in a much easier Big Ten. Drew Brees and Alstott aren’t around for Purdue. Wisconsin and Iowa had some very good teams for the two decades pre-PJ. They brought in Rutgers, Maryland, and Nebraska, and all of those are middling teams. I think the Big Ten was much more of a gauntlet back in the day than what PJ has encountered. I think the Mason teams of AAK and Cupito and all his great running backs and OL through the years would of done probably just as well if not better as PJ has in todays version of the big 10 even with their generally sub par D. PJ trying to roll out his game day philosophy and strategy against the Big Ten of 20 years ago we would’ve gotten his doors blown off a lot more than he does now. I’m not pining for Mason or calling for his return or anything stupid like that he had plenty of warts I’m just asking for some perspective relative to what we’re dealing with today with PJ comparatively — people are very quick to cite his record and I don’t think that tells even half the story.
What you’re saying is absolutely ridiculous
It is currently the hardest it’s ever been to win the big ten.
Back in 2000 you could go 8-4 and win the conference without needing to play a conference title game or beat anyone top 3 in the conference

I’ve explained this in another thread. But the easiest time in the history of the conference for coaches was from the penn state expansion until the Nebraska expansion. And it was particularly easier for coaches when they went from 11 games to 12 games which was around 2000.

Back when it was the “gauntlet” you could go 2-6 in the big ten while missing the top 2 in the conference and still go bowling.

Back in 2000 you could go 8-4 and win the conference without needing to play a conference title game or beat anyone top 3 in the conference
You have a right to be a moron, which you are.
But you dont have a right to invent shit.
From 2000-2010 the worst conference champion had 2 losses, in 2000. In every other year the B1G champion had 1 or 0 conference losses.
Nobody won the B1G going 8-4.

You have a right to be a moron, which you are.
But you dont have a right to invent shit.
From 2000-2010 the worst conference champion had 2 losses, in 2000. In every other yea the B1G champion had 1 or 0 conference losses.
That doesn’t disagree with anything I said.

The gophers were a blown 21 point lead away from being big ten champ with multiple losses in 2003.
The gophers were an OT loss away from being big ten champ in 1999 with multiple conference losses.

I didn’t say it happened all the time. I said you could do it.

You have the right to disagree with reality if you choose.

That doesn’t disagree with anything I said.

The gophers were a blown 21 point lead away from being big ten champ with multiple losses in 2003.
The gophers were an OT loss away from being big ten champ in 1999 with multiple conference losses.

I didn’t say it happened all the time. I said you could do it.

You have the right to disagree with reality if you choose.
That "doesn't disagree with anything you said"??

LOL
Show me the 8-4 B1G champion.

For the record 5-3 MN finished tied foe 4th in 2003, 2 games behind MI.

That "doesn't disagree with anything you said"??

LOL
Show me the 8-4 B1G champion.
In 2000 both northwestern and Purdue claim a big ten title. Both finished 8-4. Not sure if you’re serious.
Northwestern beat one team in the top 4 of the conference that year.

In 2000 both northwestern and Purdue claim a big ten title. Both finished 8-4. Not sure if you’re serious.
Both finished with 2 B1G losses, moron. As did MI.
And as I said, that's the worst record to win the conference in the time you specified,
You aren't this stupid, so we're left with you're this dishonest

Both finished with 2 B1G losses, moron. As did MI.
And as I said, that's the worst record to win the conference in the time you specified,
You aren't this stupid, so we're left with you're this dishonest
Congrats on arguing something I didn’t argue.
You win!
Nobody won the conference with 4 conference losses! I admit it!

“Show me the 8-4 conference champ”
-You
“Here are two”
-me
“See I am right”
-you

PANIC

ITS AN IMPOSSIBLE SCHEDULE BECAUSE STOCKER IS AFRAID OF MARYLAND AND UCLA!!!!!

ALL CAPS MAKES IT SCARIER!!!!

HOLY CRAP A WASHINGTON TEAM THAT WAS 4-8 in 2021!!!

I'd remind you that we lost to Northwestern and Illinois......but I'm not convinced that you pay any attention to college football outside of the Gophers.....which would explain why you have no sense for schedule strength.

I’ve explained this in another thread. But the easiest time in the history of the conference for coaches was from the penn state expansion until the Nebraska expansion. And it was particularly easier for coaches when they went from 11 games to 12 games which was around 2000.

Back when it was the “gauntlet” you could go 2-6 in the big ten while missing the top 2 in the conference and still go bowling.
This is nonsense. You’re comparing apples and oranges. I’m talking about the quality of the teams then and now it’s not even close.

someone else.

Look I get the “ok smart guy” routine. I don’t know who. I’m not immersed in coaching circles. But a dude with a terrible team who was not coach 2 months ago just took PJ to the woodshed

I think the “well who the fuck wants to coach Minny in the big ten” counter argument isn’t very good
OK, re your final paragraph, you seem to be refuting two points there: 1. who wants to coach in Minneapolis? and 2. who wants to coach the Gophers while they're in the Big Ten? If I'm understanding it, why do you think Minneapolis is a good venue and do you think some people feel UM should not be in the Big Ten? Not looking for an argument, just interested in your view on this.

OK, re your final paragraph, you seem to be refuting two points there: 1. who wants to coach in Minneapolis? and 2. who wants to coach the Gophers while they're in the Big Ten? If I'm understanding it, why do you think Minneapolis is a good venue and do you think some people feel UM should not be in the Big Ten? Not looking for an argument, just interested in your view on this.
Any chance Gophers could join MSHSL at class aaaa level? 🤔

Top Bottom