Fire PJ immediately please

I'd remind you that we lost to Northwestern and Illinois......but I'm not convinced that you pay any attention to college football outside of the Gophers.....which would explain why you have no sense for schedule strength.
They did lose to northwestern and Illinois this year. Which means in 2025 they have no chance to beat UCLA

They did lose to northwestern and Illinois this year. Which means in 2025 they have no chance to beat UCLA

Tossing out straw men doesn't distract from your bad takes. Only makes it more obvious that your argument was terrible to begin with.

Tossing out straw men doesn't distract from your bad takes. Only makes it more obvious that your argument was terrible to begin with.
for sure.
Penn state, Oregon, Washington, unbeatable.
Might as well never even play the games. You are right. I am agreeing with you.

PANIC

ITS AN IMPOSSIBLE SCHEDULE BECAUSE STOCKER IS AFRAID OF MARYLAND AND UCLA!!!!!

ALL CAPS MAKES IT SCARIER!!!!

HOLY CRAP A WASHINGTON TEAM THAT WAS 4-8 in 2021!!!
I’m only seeing half of this discussion, but you do realize how much deeper and overall better the PAC-12 is than the Big-10 this year, right?

I’m only seeing half of this discussion, but you do realize how much deeper and overall better the PAC-12 is than the Big-10 this year, right?
Yes. Much better this year. I agree

for sure.
Penn state, Oregon, Washington, unbeatable.
Might as well never even play the games. You are right. I am agreeing with you.

You are so discombobulated that you can't even keep your embarrassing arguments straight. I never once said that.

You are so discombobulated that you can't even keep your embarrassing arguments straight. I never once said that.
I’m not making any arguments. I’m just agreeing with you

OK, re your final paragraph, you seem to be refuting two points there: 1. who wants to coach in Minneapolis? and 2. who wants to coach the Gophers while they're in the Big Ten? If I'm understanding it, why do you think Minneapolis is a good venue and do you think some people feel UM should not be in the Big Ten? Not looking for an argument, just interested in your view on this.
No. The gophers should be in the Big Ten. I guess I’m saying the market itself is top 20 and the big ten itself is a draw. None of the excuses make sense.

I’m saying that it’s hard to take seriously excuses that the gophers couldn’t get someone better. Maybe firing Coyle is the first move or better move I grant that.

But since PJ took over NW has been to TWO BT champ games. Purdue and Iowa one each. We shouldn’t be consistently worse than those teams

We shouldn’t be consistently worse than programs like Cincinnati, TCU, Mizzou, Louisville, and UNC to name but a few.

I just don’t buy the excuses. If we can’t find donations than the board needs to figure that out and it’s of course not on PJ. But that’s a discussion beyond a month old half drunk rant that I wish I could delete :)

Remember when people on here used to argue that PJ was a better coach than Brohm? That was fun.

PJ will never be fired - no matter what the record is - as long as Coyle is the AD. Now, if Coyle left, and the team put up a couple of sub-.500 seasons, a new AD may see things differently. But for today, not happening.

on the bigger picture - I'm 68. in my lifetime, coaches whom I would classify as average or a little better than average include Warmath, Gutekunst, Stoll, Holtz, Mason, Kill, Claeys and Fleck.

Coaches who were clearly below average: Salem, Wacker and Brewster.

Yes, Fleck has 2 9-win seasons and an 11-win season. but big picture - no conference titles, no appearances in the conference championship game during the division era.

Mason had two teams finish the season ranked in the top 20. Fleck has had 1 team finish in the top 20. Kill and Fleck each had 1 team play in a New Year's Day Bowl game. so Fleck has a higher winning percentage - that's great. but it's like a consolation prize, because the big prize keeps getting away.

I'm not calling for Fleck to be fired, but I'm not calling for him to have a statue either. He's a coach. the Gophers had other coaches before Fleck and they'll have more coaches after Fleck.

I’m not making any arguments. I’m just agreeing with you

You're agreeing with something that I never said. I only said that next year's schedule is more difficult than this year's schedule. You short circuited and threw a temper tantrum about how it isn't more difficult without providing a reason why.....just straw men and general nonsense. Good work.

Is it though? Much better? Seems defense is an afterthought like it has been in the Big 12.
I agree. But there is more depth over there in that second tier.

I think Washington, Oregon, Oregon state, UCLA, Arizona, Utah, USC are all better than big ten #4 (Iowa or Rutgers).

USC is kind of Iowa but exactly the opposite tbh

Last edited:

You're agreeing with something that I never said. I only said that next year's schedule is more difficult than this year's schedule. You short circuited and threw a temper tantrum about how it isn't more difficult without providing a reason why.....just straw men and general nonsense. Good work.
It is pretty similar next year. Sorry you disagree.

I didn’t even know tennis ball guy was head coach at AZ. Wow, I’m certainly surprised, but good for him.
Serious question. If Louisville goes 11-1 and wins ACC title game, do you think they should make the playoff with a loss to 2-10 Pitt on the schedule?

That would be a team I think should get in, but I am worried the committee would put a second big 10, pac 12, or SEC team in instead of them

The oddest thing about Fleck is how wed he is to his offensive philosophy when he doesn't call plays, the bullheadedness confounds.

Serious question. If Louisville goes 11-1 and wins ACC title game, do you think they should make the playoff with a loss to 2-10 Pitt on the schedule?

That would be a team I think should get in, but I am worried the committee would put a second big 10, pac 12, or SEC team in instead of them
It depends on too many other factors (the other options) to answer that yes/no, but I wouldn’t let that loss make it a hard no.

No. The gophers should be in the Big Ten. I guess I’m saying the market itself is top 20 and the big ten itself is a draw. None of the excuses make sense.

I’m saying that it’s hard to take seriously excuses that the gophers couldn’t get someone better. Maybe firing Coyle is the first move or better move I grant that.

But since PJ took over NW has been to TWO BT champ games. Purdue and Iowa one each. We shouldn’t be consistently worse than those teams

We shouldn’t be consistently worse than programs like Cincinnati, TCU, Mizzou, Louisville, and UNC to name but a few.

I just don’t buy the excuses. If we can’t find donations than the board needs to figure that out and it’s of course not on PJ. But that’s a discussion beyond a month old half drunk rant that I wish I could delete :)
Nice to read an opinion expressed politely. Thanks. I remember decades ago an ex-coach, maybe it was Murray Warmath, opined about why the Gopher program declined from a national power to the middle-thirdish of the Big Ten beginning in the 60s. I think if the U cared about the competitiveness of the athletic programs, they'd do an honest study of why the Gophers lag behind the schools you list in the two major sports. I think their priorities are elsewhere.

Hmm. I'd say yes, but it will depend on how everything else shakes out.

Nice to read an opinion expressed politely. Thanks. I remember decades ago an ex-coach, maybe it was Murray Warmath, opined about why the Gopher program declined from a national power to the middle-thirdish of the Big Ten beginning in the 60s. I think if the U cared about the competitiveness of the athletic programs, they'd do an honest study of why the Gophers lag behind the schools you list in the two major sports. I think their priorities are elsewhere.
There are two reasons I've heard discussed.

1. Once the southern schools started recruiting black athletes, that took away an advantage teams like Minnesota had.

2. The administration under Malcolm Moos allegedly intentionally wanted to de-emphasize football and sports in general. Supposedly Moos hated football. I don't know if this is true - I wasn't alive then. I did used to work with Moos' son - had I known at the time, I might have asked him.

Hmm. I'd say yes, but it will depend on how everything else shakes out.
I just hope if Louisville is 12-1 and wins their conference they don’t get left out for a Georgia team that is 12-1 and lost to Bama or a 2nd place big ten east team.

Conference champions going over non conference champions is important to not devalue the regular season.

It all doesn’t matter starting next year with the 12

It's a more difficult schedule. Not really debatable.
Really depends on how you feel about the teams next year compared to the teams this year.

You have a right to disagree with me. Sorry me thinking it’s pretty much the same offends you so much.

Really depends on how you feel about the teams next year compared to the teams this year.

You have a right to disagree with me. Sorry me thinking it’s pretty much the same offends you so much.

You're mixing up being offended with being confused. Confused about why you responded to my post in the first place, and then threw a tantrum when I explained why I thought it was more difficult....all while not being able to articulate your own position without a straw man.

You're mixing up being offended with being confused. Confused about why you responded to my post in the first place, and then threw a tantrum when I explained why I thought it was more difficult....all while not being able to articulate your own position without a straw man.
Well here is why I think next year isn’t that much tougher than this year

Here is how I would rank the difficulty of the two schedules as my best guess

2023 Michigan > 2024 Michigan is my guess
2023 Ohio state > 2024 USC
2023 North Carolina = 2024 Penn State
2023 Iowa > 2024 Iowa
2023 Nebraska = 2024 North Carolina
2023 wisconsin < 2024 Wisconsin
2023 Illinois < 2024 UCLA
2023 northwestern < 2024 Illinois
2023 Michigan state < 2024 rutgers
2023 Purdue < 2024 maryland
2023 Louisiana > 2024 Nevada
2023 Eastern Michigan > 2024 Rhode Island

Maybe I’m wrong and it’s way tougher next year.

It's a more difficult schedule. Not really debatable.
Only if you think nothing changes between this year and next. We don’t know who coaches, QB’s and rest of rosters will even look like.

Only if you think nothing changes between this year and next. We don’t know who coaches, QB’s and rest of rosters will even look like.

We really don't know because of roster turnover. All I said was.....look at the five conference games that we are flipping:

2023: OSU, Nebraska, MSU, Northwestern, Purdue
2024: PSU, USC, UCLA, Rutgers, Maryland

We're trading in several games against pretty bad teams.....for much tougher opponents. Maryland has been respectable for a few years now....and Rutgers appears to have turned a corner. Seems pretty clear to me that the road is more difficult next year.

Top Bottom