Donation page to extend Pitino - UPDATED (2/4) - Suspended Indefinitely Due to Ridiculous Road Record

Looking at the schedule, I’d have to say I think we would be favored in every remaining matchup based on year to date performance... That can obviously change, and being favored guarantees nothing, but 14-6 is quite possible, though 13-7 is probably most likely if I were placing a bet.

FYI, if the Gophers go 14-6 per the unrealistic post above, I could easily see Pitino leaving for Miami (Laranaga is done) or another gig. Y'all can have Brian Dutcher then.
Oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please

Beating a ranked team on the road is not that important. Hold serve at home as much as possible and find a couple road wins against whomever. FYI, if the Gophers go 14-6 per the unrealistic post above, I could easily see Pitino leaving for Miami (Laranaga is done) or another gig. Y'all can have Brian Dutcher then.
Why Miami, out of curiosity? What is Miami to Pitino, either Pitino for that matter? Adidas?

I actually think that this Gopher team is different and will win the next 4 road contests. Really have liked the length and versatility from the start and now the Team understands the significance of playing great defense. The staff provided a tremendous scout on Michigan, executing that is how you beat great teams and virtually the only way. Low turnovers, quality shots and great defense is the ticket.

I understand why some fans are scared by any road game but I do not see great teams on the road schedule. The versatility and length allows the ability to exploit and wear down. Defense saps the energy and the will of the other team.
Why have they decided to only do defense at home?

That is the question but they have proven they can do it there and not will find out what it is to travel with it and against teams that I see as inferior. They played the teams with firepower.

That is the question but they have proven they can do it there and not will find out what it is to travel with it and against teams that I see as inferior. They played the teams with firepower.
Bolded: they didn't beat Iowa and Michigan, at home? And I guess they'll beat Illinois at home, too.

Bolded: they didn't beat Iowa and Michigan, at home? And I guess they'll beat Illinois at home, too.
I know who they played and where and yes, I think they will win all the home games. We played terrible at Illinois but at 9-5 there is no way I would call Illinois elite.

I know who they played and where and yes, I think they will win all the home games. We played terrible at Illinois but at 9-5 there is no way I would call Illinois elite.
Probably not elite, but still ranked. Or they were, maybe not anymore.

Looking at the schedule, I’d have to say I think we would be favored in every remaining matchup based on year to date performance... That can obviously change, and being favored guarantees nothing, but 14-6 is quite possible, though 13-7 is probably most likely if I were placing a bet.
I'd be pretty surprised if they are favored at Indiana or Purdue.

For the first time since Pitino has been here it seems he is coaching his players vs. coaching a offense and defense his dad ran. He seems to make adjustments to the game as it goes along that add value to the team vs. adjustments and tempo that destroy leads. While I have no idea how we will do the rest of the season, the reality is we have the talent and now the coaching to win the rest. While I still think Pitino lacks serious recruiting chops, I do think he is improving in this area as well. Hate to seem him grow if he is now committed to excellence.

For the first time since Pitino has been here it seems he is coaching his players vs. coaching a offense and defense his dad ran. He seems to make adjustments to the game as it goes along that add value to the team vs. adjustments and tempo that destroy leads. While I have no idea how we will do the rest of the season, the reality is we have the talent and now the coaching to win the rest. While I still think Pitino lacks serious recruiting chops, I do think he is improving in this area as well. Hate to seem him grow if he is now committed to excellence.
I wonder how much is that as opposed to the mix of transfer players' complementary talent gelling.

They're already 4-4 and they have six road games left.

Have you noticed the schedule at all?

The Gophers being 4-4 considering the quality of B1G teams they've played, is quite an accomplishment..

The Top 5 teams in the B1G, currently:

Michigan 11-1 (Gophers 1-1)
Iowa 11-2 (Gophers 1-1)
Wisconsin 11-3 (Gophers 0-1)
Ohio State 11-3 (Gophers 1-0)
Illinois 9-5 (Gophers 0-1)

-------
The Gophers are done with the B1G's current Top 4; of the Top 5, the only game the Gophers have remaining is Illinois — and that on is at The Barn.
-------

Here's the road schedule:

@ Nebraska
@ Purdue
@ Rutgers
@ Maryland
@ Indiana
@ Penn State

No Michigan, no Iowa, no Wisconsin, no Ohio State, no Illinois (on the road). There might be a win or two in that slate...:cool:

Do you realize the teams they have played on the road are ranked 5, 7, 9, 14 respectively? Michigan, Iowa, and Illinois are all top 30 teams in ppg, all while playing some of the toughest schedules in the country. Iowa #1, , Mich #9, Wisc #16 and Illinois #7 in adjusted offensive efficiency. I understand the frustration with no road wins yet but lets pay some respect to the schedule. Iowa we gave up 83 in regulation at home, and 86 on the road. The only real head scratcher imo is Michigan

I understand why some fans are scared by any road game but I do not see great teams on the road schedule. The versatility and length allows the ability to exploit and wear down. Defense saps the energy and the will of the other team.

I say bring them on - you don't go from okay to really good (i wont even use great at this point) in one fell swoop; it's a process and the next step is start winning on the road. I believe we'll be much more chill, relaxed and confident now that the players have proven to themselves that we got a heck of a team with lots of nice pieces.

Time for us to blossom into these badasses-

1610914651008.png

Have you noticed the schedule at all?

The Gophers being 4-4 considering the quality of B1G teams they've played, is quite an accomplishment..

The Top 5 teams in the B1G, currently:

Michigan 11-1 (Gophers 1-1)
Iowa 11-2 (Gophers 1-1)
Wisconsin 11-3 (Gophers 0-1)
Ohio State 11-3 (Gophers 1-0)
Illinois 9-5 (Gophers 0-1)

-------
The Gophers are done with the B1G's current Top 4; of the Top 5, the only game the Gophers have remaining is Illinois — and that on is at The Barn.
-------

Here's the road schedule:

@ Nebraska
@ Purdue
@ Rutgers
@ Maryland
@ Indiana
@ Penn State

No Michigan, no Iowa, no Wisconsin, no Ohio State, no Illinois (on the road). There might be a win or two in that slate...:cool:
Yes, good points. I can't refute any of this, and am not going to try.

I just find it ... bizarre, how different the outcomes could be between the two Iowa and Michigan games, and throw in bad road losses to Ill and Wisc.

Talked round and round. Just have to see what happens.

Yes, good points. I can't refute any of this, and am not going to try.

I just find it ... bizarre, how different the outcomes could be between the two Iowa and Michigan games, and throw in bad road losses to Ill and Wisc.

Talked round and round. Just have to see what happens.

Yes; that's the beauty of being a fan.

When I look at the schedule going forward, I keep thinking about the upcoming Illinois game at The Barn on Feb. 20...

I have a feeling that in a normal year with fans in the stands, they might finally succeed in blowing the roof off for that game.

I have a feeling the Gophers have that one circled.

Do you realize the teams they have played on the road are ranked 5, 7, 9, 14 respectively? Michigan, Iowa, and Illinois are all top 30 teams in ppg, all while playing some of the toughest schedules in the country. Iowa #1, , Mich #9, Wisc #16 and Illinois #7 in adjusted offensive efficiency. I understand the frustration with no road wins yet but lets pay some respect to the schedule. Iowa we gave up 83 in regulation at home, and 86 on the road. The only real head scratcher imo is Michigan

I think most of us can accept losing on the road to the teams that we did, but not showing up, looking lazy, and getting blown out by 25 points isn't how we want to do it.

Who could replace John Calipari as the Kentucky basketball head coach?
10. Richard Pitino, Minnesota head coach

The Golden Gophers added another “resume win” with a blowout victory over previously unbeaten Michigan on Saturday, to go with wins over Iowa, Ohio State and Michigan State as part of their 11-4 mark thus far. Pitino is already in his eighth season as Gophers coach, and he surfaces once in a while as a periphery candidate for other jobs.

Pitino of course has a tie to Kentucky, as his father Rick had a very successful run as Wildcats’ coach. He was once seen as a candidate to succeed his dad at Louisville, but that idea is gone now. But the Pitino name may still mean something in Lexington, if only as a highly speculative candidate to replace Calipari.

The Golden Gophers added another “resume win” with a blowout victory over previously unbeaten Michigan on Saturday, to go with wins over Iowa, Ohio State and Michigan State as part of their 11-4 mark thus far. Pitino is already in his eighth season as Gophers coach, and he surfaces once in a while as a periphery candidate for other jobs.

Pitino of course has a tie to Kentucky, as his father Rick had a very successful run as Wildcats’ coach. He was once seen as a candidate to succeed his dad at Louisville, but that idea is gone now. But the Pitino name may still mean something in Lexington, if only as a highly speculative candidate to replace Calipari.

Let’s maybe appreciate what we have!

I understand the world is a little off balance right now but Calipari might be the least firable coach in college basketball. Fun article I guess?

I think most of us can accept losing on the road to the teams that we did, but not showing up, looking lazy, and getting blown out by 25 points isn't how we want to do it.
Iowa was a 2 pt game on the road at halftime, we didn't lose in Madison because we were lazy/not showing up-had a terrible night shooting, which happens to the best teams. Michigan and Illinois road losses were ugly, but quit acting like all of the road games were just abhorrent performances.

Iowa was a 2 pt game on the road at halftime, we didn't lose in Madison because we were lazy/not showing up-had a terrible night shooting, which happens to the best teams. Michigan and Illinois road losses were ugly, but quit acting like all of the road games were just abhorrent performances.

I'm not acting like anything. They've played like shit on the road and everyone has seen it, it's not my opinion. Why you're particularly upset at me about it, I have no clue. :)

Quick question:

in the movie He Got Game, when the main character goes on the recruiting visit to "Tech", meeting the head coach played by John Turturro, with the arranged ... "talent" ... for later in the recruiting visit ..........

that was Pitino at Kentucky, right?

Quick question:

in the movie He Got Game, when the main character goes on the recruiting visit to "Tech", meeting the head coach played by John Turturro, with the arranged ... "talent" ... for later in the recruiting visit ..........

that was Pitino at Kentucky, right?

I’m one of the least informed Hollywood people in America. I did have a stretch hack in 2003, 2004, 2005 where I bought a bunch of DVDs. And I went to the Fast & The Furious original movie in the theaters when it came out, but haven’t watched nearly as many movies as most out there!

I'm not acting like anything. They've played like shit on the road and everyone has seen it, it's not my opinion. Why you're particularly upset at me about it, I have no clue. :)
Not particularly upset, just frustrating when people say things without backing it up...you said lazy and didn't show up. I want to simply ask why do you think that? I didn't think we looked like we didn't show up against UW or were lazy, include Iowa in that same category. What were you seeing from what guys? What was egregious to you? Its fine if its was the end result but then say it. I'm not losing sleep about losing bad to two top teams when we had bad shooting nights. If you don't shoot above 35%, its tough to win a ton of games, home or away.

Top Bottom