Donation page to extend Pitino - UPDATED (2/4) - Suspended Indefinitely Due to Ridiculous Road Record

Very fun! We got some guys this year! In the improbable scenarios to be ranked I didn’t see this one. Are we ranked on Monday?

Very fun! We got some guys this year! In the improbable scenarios to be ranked I didn’t see this one. Are we ranked on Monday?

Depends on who loses in the 20-25 teams I guess - but I think we'll end up a top 5 team B10 team this year.

I'm still saying we end up in the Top 25 at some point this year.

Depends on who loses in the 20-25 teams I guess - but I think we'll end up a top 5 team B10 team this year.

I'm still saying we end up in the Top 25 at some point this year.
Can not stand rankings because we will be ranked lower than Iowa and there is not a shred of evidence that supports that. We should be ranked Monday, but it comes with virtually no reward. OSU was top 5 last year when we beat them and they ended up mediocre. What i like about what i am seeing i said before the game. A closer team, a team that believes in each other and a team that will play hard. That is something to hang your hat on. Big 10 will be a blast. Those teams at the top were overated and the ones lower under rated.

Brandon Johnson. Galvanizing performance

People who lost it after the Illinois game were being ridiculous. Sure the game was bad, but it was way too early to condemn. This team has hardly played together, so it was going to take some time.
People didn’t lose it after the Illinois game. People lost it a year or two ago and the Illinois game was further evidence.
Id love nothing more than this team to go 12-8 and prove me a fool

Can not stand rankings because we will be ranked lower than Iowa and there is not a shred of evidence that supports that. We should be ranked Monday, but it comes with virtually no reward. OSU was top 5 last year when we beat them and they ended up mediocre. What i like about what i am seeing i said before the game. A closer team, a team that believes in each other and a team that will play hard. That is something to hang your hat on. Big 10 will be a blast. Those teams at the top were overated and the ones lower under rated.

You definitely know more buckets than I do -I'm simply basking in the joy of being a fan who watched an improbable win over one of our rivals with a coach I don't like in the least!!

We kept grinding and didn't quit and we have a guy in Carr who can get his own shot when needed and much more depth then I can remember. I think we have made some nice improvements from the Illini debacle and I'm an optimist by nature.

Players improve and so can coaches or anyone else at their job - I definitely did, as we all learn by doing. Malcolm Gladwell's theorem about having to work in a position for 10K hours to become an expert in any field they work in; his books are fun reads and probably available on Audible as well.

That was just tooooooo much fun!!!

You definitely know more buckets than I do -I'm simply basking in the joy of being a fan who watched an improbable win over one of our rivals with a coach I don't like in the least!!

We kept grinding and didn't quit and we have a guy in Carr who can get his own shot when needed and much more depth then I can remember. I think we have made some nice improvements from the Illini debacle and I'm an optimist by nature.

Players improve and so can coaches or anyone else at their job - I definitely did, as we all learn by doing. Malcolm Gladwell's theorem about having to work in a position for 10K hours to become an expert in any field they work in; his books are fun reads and probably available on Audible as well.

That was just tooooooo much fun!!!
A blast. Thrilled for the players, coaches and fans.

If the Illinois game wouldve been closer we would be ranked, now not sure. Also, anyone know when the first NET rankings come out?

If he has a good season this year (like 11-9 in the Big Ten or better), raise his salary and/or give him a nice bonus. Do not increase the buyout. He still needs to show that he can have two good years in a row.

Next year will be challenging. He returns a pretty decent core but, assuming Carr leaves (and I can't imagine he would stay if he continues having this kind of season; he has a much better resume than Coffey did in 2019), he will have no returning star. So, he will have to figure out how to win with a team having multiple good players but unlikely to have any great ones. He will have at least one, and likely two, scholarships available for spring recruiting. I'm not banking on Chet Holmgren but there should be a bumper crop of transfers available.

If he has a good season this year (like 11-9 in the Big Ten or better), raise his salary and/or give him a nice bonus. Do not increase the buyout. He still needs to show that he can have two good years in a row.

Next year will be challenging. He returns a pretty decent core but, assuming Carr leaves (and I can't imagine he would stay if he continues having this kind of season; he has a much better resume than Coffey did in 2019), he will have no returning star. So, he will have to figure out how to win with a team having multiple good players but unlikely to have any great ones. He will have at least one, and likely two, scholarships available for spring recruiting. I'm not banking on Chet Holmgren but there should be a bumper crop of transfers available.
Maybe it will rub off on Mash?

Good bye Chet, I have a good feeling Mashburn will be ready for that PG role.

Good bye Chet, I have a good feeling Mashburn will be ready for that PG role.

I do too but we'll need another one. Gach is all right in a pinch but you don't want him playing too many minutes there.

Im not sure of his deal specifics, but if this season goes well wouldnt even mind tacking on a year or two to his deal. Agree on not increasing the buyout. So much up in the air yet regarding next season: Will Robbins return? Is there a chance Johnson returns? Will any guys transfer due to lack of playing time? How ready will our 2 recruits be? Starting 5 might be:
Mash
Gabe
Gach
Johnson
Robbins
Double edged sword of Johnson and Robbins playing well - great for this season but increases the chance they will move on next season.

Im not sure of his deal specifics, but if this season goes well wouldnt even mind tacking on a year or two to his deal. Agree on not increasing the buyout. So much up in the air yet regarding next season: Will Robbins return? Is there a chance Johnson returns? Will any guys transfer due to lack of playing time? How ready will our 2 recruits be? Starting 5 might be:
Mash
Gabe
Gach
Johnson
Robbins
Double edged sword of Johnson and Robbins playing well - great for this season but increases the chance they will move on next season.
Isn't Johnson a senior?

Isn't Johnson a senior?

All players get an extra season of ncaa eligibility due to the virus. One way to look at it is johnson is a junior, robbins is a sophomore, gach is a sophomore this season, German KD is a freshman, etc. Mash will be a freshman next season. Another interesting thing is that Wisconsin is getting pub for the advanced age of their starting 5 - all seniors. They could have the same starting 5 next season.

What i really dont understand is what if all 5 badger seniors decide to return? They have already likely recruited 5 incoming players at that point. They now have a roster of 18 players possibly? Or does the 13 player roster remain and they are not allowed to bring in the 5 recruits then?

Last edited:

All players get an extra season of ncaa eligibility due to the virus. One way to look at it is johnson is a junior, robbins is a sophomore, gach is a sophomore this season. Mash will be a freshman next season. Another interesting thing is that Wisconsin is getting pub fir the advanced age of their starting 5 - all seniors. They could have the same starting 5 next season.

Why raise his salary, extend one year. It is supply demand. No one else would pay him more than we do off one good year.

Why raise his salary, extend one year. It is supply demand. No one else would pay him more than we do off one good year.

Disagree with "one good year". Again, i am not familiar with his contract specifics but i know that this is something that athletic directors do to not hamstring coachs' recruiting.

Mash
Gabe
Gach
Johnson
Robbins

Yes, I wasn't thinking about the extra year of eligibility. I suppose Johnson could come back next year although that would be his 6th year and who knows whether he would want to do that. I can't see Robbins declaring for the NBA although he might test the waters like Carr did.

As far as transfers, I thought previously that Freeman would be a very good transfer candidate but he could play fair minutes the rest of the season and decide not to do that. Maybe Mutaff and/or Mitchell would if they don't play more the rest of the season. Perhaps Mitchell especially because they are bringing in two additional big men.

Right now I expect to lose Johnson, Curry, Carr, and Omersa. I expect Pitino will fill the last two roster spots with transfers. Of the incoming freshmen, I have a completely unsupported hunch that the lower rated of the two (Pohto) might end up being the more ready initially.

Yes, I wasn't thinking about the extra year of eligibility. I suppose Johnson could come back next year although that would be his 6th year and who knows whether he would want to do that. I can't see Robbins declaring for the NBA although he might test the waters like Carr did.

As far as transfers, I thought previously that Freeman would be a very good transfer candidate but he could play fair minutes the rest of the season and decide not to do that. Maybe Mutaff and/or Mitchell would if they don't play more the rest of the season. Perhaps Mitchell especially because they are bringing in two additional big men.

Right now I expect to lose Johnson, Curry, Carr, and Omersa. I expect Pitino will fill the last two roster spots with transfers. Of the incoming freshmen, I have a completely unsupported hunch that the lower rated of the two (Pohto) might end up being the more ready initially.

Truly impossible to tell at this point but for players such as Curry and Johnson would it be in their best interest to return next season for the extra year of free education as well? Would be ok too if we had a couple schollies available for transfers i spose.

Truly impossible to tell at this point but for players such as Curry and Johnson would it be in their best interest to return next season for the extra year of free education as well? Would be ok too if we had a couple schollies available for transfers i spose.

I hadn't been following the COVID transfer and eligibility rules but I looked into them after reading your previous post. If I read this correctly, players who elect to remain an additional year under the COVID allowance do not count against the scholarship limit. However, there is no requirement for schools to adopt (AND FUND!) this more generous allowance. The Ivy League already has said that they are not going to fund additional years under this rule and that's why we've seen so many Ivy League athletes entering the transfer portal. Supposedly, Alvarez of Wisconsin also isn't too keen on extending student athlete tenure under this allowance so maybe we won't have to see any of these Wisconsin seniors back next year.

I hadn't been following the COVID transfer and eligibility rules but I looked into them after reading your previous post. If I read this correctly, players who elect to remain an additional year under the COVID allowance do not count against the scholarship limit. However, there is no requirement for schools to adopt (AND FUND!) this more generous allowance. The Ivy League already has said that they are not going to fund additional years under this rule and that's why we've seen so many Ivy League athletes entering the transfer portal. Supposedly, Alvarez of Wisconsin also isn't too keen on extending student athlete tenure under this allowance so maybe we won't have to see any of these Wisconsin seniors back next year.

Huh. So could be a case where some schools count this season as a "free season" in eligibility terms and some dont. Interesting.

Top Bottom