Donation page to extend Pitino - UPDATED (2/4) - Suspended Indefinitely Due to Ridiculous Road Record

Seems as though more statues are coming down these days than going up. Guess it is not my thing.

Yes. A huge statue of Pitino atop Williams squeezing a hawkeye in one hand and a badger in the other. Make it happen!
Should we start a donation thread and go fund me account?

And how about that 3 ptr. missed by Johnson. Bad coaching.
I just saw this. Honestly that’s reason enough to can Pitino in and of itself. He practically was on Johnson’s shoulder cajoling him to miss it. Everyone knows if you don’t go 9/9 on your 3’s you clearly belong at a D-3 school, unacceptable for this prestigious #1 ranked program. Clearly Pitino’s fault. Oh and for good measure, I’ve seen about 8 Mrs. Pitino’s hiding behind anon accounts on this thread. I still am baffled why she wastes her time arguing with us on random Internet forums—my guess is that Pitino’s poor in state recruiting of the top 10 players in the country has something to do with it, that’s always the culprit in the end. Sad the only real support he gets is from his wife.

Maybe it will rub off on Mash?
I’ve already been thinking along this avenue. Regardless of what happens next year, it’s very promising to know that Minnesota’s future gaurds; Mashburn, Mutaf etc. are learning from a true maven. Watching him in practice every day, it’s undeniable that they will have the Carr pedigree imprinted on them, to some extent, by the time he moves on.

Should we start a donation thread and go fund me account?

I think so. To me the giant statue on top of Pitino Arena comes before the raise and extension. And i am thinking a statue the size of Jesus of Rio or perhaps even the size of the two men guarding the river headwaters in LOTR. Needs to happen.

I’ve already been thinking along this avenue. Regardless of what happens next year, it’s very promising to know that Minnesota’s future gaurds; Mashburn, Mutaf etc. are learning from a true maven. Watching him in practice every day, it’s undeniable that they will have the Carr pedigree imprinted on them, to some extent, by the time he moves on.
What if Gabe's shooting rubs off on them as opposed to Carr's clutchness?

Just saying,

I just saw this. Honestly that’s reason enough to can Pitino in and of itself. He practically was on Johnson’s shoulder cajoling him to miss it. Everyone knows if you don’t go 9/9 on your 3’s you clearly belong at a D-3 school, unacceptable for this prestigious #1 ranked program. Clearly Pitino’s fault. Oh and for good measure, I’ve seen about 8 Mrs. Pitino’s hiding behind anon accounts on this thread. I still am baffled why she wastes her time arguing with us on random Internet forums—my guess is that Pitino’s poor in state recruiting of the top 10 players in the country has something to do with it, that’s always the culprit in the end. Sad the only real support he gets is from his wife.

Exactly. We finally get a top coach and are going to end up driving him away. As another poster pointed out, openings at duke and unc are coming up soon. Might be tempting for a certain young, underappreciated midwestern head coach.

Exactly. We finally get a top coach and are going to end up driving him away. As another poster pointed out, openings at duke and unc are coming up soon. Might be tempting for a certain young, underappreciated midwestern head coach.
He will only go to an Adidas school. He's smartly waiting for the heat to die down, laying low in Minnesota where the NCAA never investigates. ;)

Sounds expensive and will intelligent folks be involved in selecting who gets one. People i know turn down the honor, match the cost of it for a charity.
Ya, that is what I did the couple of times they wanted to build one for me, but to each their own.....

I understand your point but he has yet to have done that. For me it’s the lack of consistent recruiting.

I have called for Pitino's firing many times on these pages. For a number of reasons, I've decided not to do that this year. If he has a bad season this year (unlikely I think), he probably should be fired at the end of it.

I think people should keep a couple of things in mind:

1) Yes, he probably never should have been hired here but he was; all the bitching in the world won't change that.

2) Yes, he probably should have been fired by now but he wasn't; first, the former big buyout saved him and then COVID stepped in; all the bitching in the world won't change that he was saved from termination by events other than his personal merits as a coach.

So, for better or worse, Pitino is the coach now and he's doing a great job so far this season. Can he put together a reasonably successful season next year? I don't know. We'll see but if things go reasonably well the rest of the season, he surely has earned the opportunity to try.

As far as recruiting, he did an outstanding job last spring. If Carr goes to the NBA after this season (I would expect at the very least a two way contract for him), Minnesota will have sent a player to the NBA in three consecutive years. That's pretty good even by Big Ten standards. He's pursuing a good recruiting strategy these days and his recruiting appears to be on an upswing so more consistent quality might be the norm going forward.

Last edited:

I have called for Pitino's firing many times on these pages. For a number of reasons, I've decided not to do that this year. If he has a bad season this year (unlikely I think), he probably should be fired at the end of it.

I think people should keep a couple of things in mind:

1) Yes, he probably never should have been hired here but he was; all the bitching in the world won't change that.

2) Yes, he probably should have been fired by now but he wasn't; first, the former big buyout saved him and then COVID stepped in; all the bitching in the world won't change that he was saved from termination by events other than his personal merits as a coach.

So, for better or worse, Pitino is the coach now and he's doing a great job so far this season. Can he put together a reasonably successful season next year? I don't know. We'll see but if things go reasonably well the rest of the season, he surely has earned the opportunity to try.

As far as recruiting, he did an outstanding job last spring. If Carr goes to the NBA after this season (I would expect at the very least a two way contract for him), Minnesota will have sent a player to the NBA in three consecutive years. That's pretty good even by Big Ten standards. He's pursuing a good recruiting strategy these days and his recruiting appears to be on an upswing so more consistent quality might be the norm going forward.
Wow, you can't even give an inch when you try to complement him...lol. Remind me to never ask you for a reference letter...ha, ha...

I'm never surprised when Pitino's team falls flat on its face. I expect it.

That's what we've seen time and again during his tenure at Minnesota.

I will say this: The team looked really good against Michigan State and had a nice comeback against Iowa. But therein lies the rub; the program's performances have been so bad in those games over the years that the two wins were shocks to the system and therefore, the media, fans and team were giddy afterwards

Today is much more often what we've seen from Pitino's teams; a return to the rinse and repeat of bad basketball that has been the dominant theme of his tenure.

They might still find their way into the NCAAs (assuming the tournament is held), but I never buy into any hype with this program.

They're not capable of living up to it.

Just more of what you get, way too often, with this coach.

Was ANYbody surprised by the game tonight? ANYbody?

I was. I thought we would see that 1st half defense the whole game and reasonable shooting.Gard certainly has a impressive conference record.

You were nowhere to be found when we upset Iowa and smoked Michigan State. You're such a predictable troll.

You were nowhere to be found when we upset Iowa and smoked Michigan State. You're such a predictable troll.
I made as many comments on those games as I did this one. They beat Ohio State last year, too.

You're such a cherry picking, predictable sycophant.

Sooooooo, where are we on this extension and these statues?
Anyone who wants to fire or extend before march/April isn’t very smart

Pretty sure we should let the season play out and then form an opinion.

I know what I thought going in. But I’m not going to dwell on it and am willing to let results change my mind. He is going to be the coach all year regardless

Sooooooo, where are we on this extension and these statues?

Thank for the reminder - per my earlier post in the thread, I was going to add 5 years for every win over a ranked B10 Team this year and since we started at 8, for God knows what reason after the Iowa victory, we are not up to 18!!

I'll improve my best.

Anyone who wants to fire or extend before march/April isn’t very smart

Pretty sure we should let the season play out and then form an opinion.

I know what I thought going in. But I’m not going to dwell on it and am willing to let results change my mind. He is going to be the coach all year regardless

FYI - As the threadmaster allow me to elucidate, this was my good natured poke at the thread that called for Pitino's head after the Illini debacle. After beating St. Louie and the Christmas Miracle against Iowa, I posted this as a fun way as an over exaggeration in the other direction about extending him; just as nutz as wanting to fire him for a loss.

The cool thing is, what if this actually came to fruition?

It would be =

1609878862763.png

Top Bottom