Donation page to extend Pitino - UPDATED (2/4) - Suspended Indefinitely Due to Ridiculous Road Record

Disagree with "one good year". Again, i am not familiar with his contract specifics but i know that this is something that athletic directors do to not hamstring coachs' recruiting.
ONE year extension does that now. A raise and i would stop my gift as it would not have been earned. Especially in the total body of work where he was over paid and during a time when the athletic department is hurting for money, society is hurting. Any great leadership would be freezing salaries anyone with character would refuse it.

If he has a good season this year (like 11-9 in the Big Ten or better), raise his salary and/or give him a nice bonus. Do not increase the buyout. He still needs to show that he can have two good years in a row.

Next year will be challenging. He returns a pretty decent core but, assuming Carr leaves (and I can't imagine he would stay if he continues having this kind of season; he has a much better resume than Coffey did in 2019), he will have no returning star. So, he will have to figure out how to win with a team having multiple good players but unlikely to have any great ones. He will have at least one, and likely two, scholarships available for spring recruiting. I'm not banking on Chet Holmgren but there should be a bumper crop of transfers available.

Good points as always CBGBees.

Maybe we never land the Top5 Mn guys - oh well.

We have had good success with the transfers and I'm good with those guys and fill it out with Top 100 players, hopefully some from MN like Amir, Daniel and Treyton.

I like players who are here longer, excluding grad transfers, as it's fun to watch them get better and develop you fan/friendship with them.

All players get an extra season of ncaa eligibility due to the virus. One way to look at it is johnson is a junior, robbins is a sophomore, gach is a sophomore this season, German KD is a freshman, etc. Mash will be a freshman next season. Another interesting thing is that Wisconsin is getting pub for the advanced age of their starting 5 - all seniors. They could have the same starting 5 next season.

What i really dont understand is what if all 5 badger seniors decide to return? They have already likely recruited 5 incoming players at that point. They now have a roster of 18 players possibly? Or does the 13 player roster remain and they are not allowed to bring in the 5 recruits then?

Another year of Brad Davidson -NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OMG - it just dawned on me now. My Granville Waters nightmares are starting to commence again - you'll be receiving my therapist's bill shortly.

Another year of Brad Davidson -NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OMG - it just dawned on me now. My Granville Waters nightmares are starting to commence again - you'll be receiving my therapist's bill shortly.

Or. How about this. Wisconsin doesnt allow the free season but the gophers do. BD wants to play another season and - wait for it - returns and plays his final season as a Minnesota Gopher! Therapists in the area might indeed be busy.

Or. How about this. Wisconsin doesnt allow the free season but the gophers do. BD wants to play another season and - wait for it - returns and plays his final season as a Minnesota Gopher! Therapists in the area might indeed be busy.

LOL - that would be cool - Gopher Lady would be busy with editing the site - she might have to shut down the site to cleanse it.

Last edited:

I'd puke.

That’s crying game material. I would feel unclean for years.

Scholarship numbers aren't going to increase, so coaches are going to cut people loose. There should be a lot of transfers next year.

Good points as always CBGBees.

Maybe we never land the Top5 Mn guys - oh well.

We have had good success with the transfers and I'm good with those guys and fill it out with Top 100 players, hopefully some from MN like Amir, Daniel and Treyton.

I like players who are here longer, excluding grad transfers, as it's fun to watch them get better and develop you fan/friendship with them.

Thanks! I understand the preference for players with longer tenures but I think Pitino's strategy of mixing transfers with prep recruits is an obvious strategy for a program like ours. It bolsters the physical maturity level of the team and reduces the chances of players being busts if they have demonstrated already that they can be productive at the D1 level. That's the same strategy that worked very well for Hoiberg at Iowa State. We'll see in time if he is able to pull off the same thing at Nebraska. Miles tried it there as well but wasn't successful enough. Unfortunately for Miles, he also had a pretty high rate of out-migration.

I don't fault Pitino for not getting the very best of the Minnesota prep stars. The days of getting tremendous prep players almost by default because they are in-state natives (like Kevin McHale) are long gone. Players like Suggs, Holmgren, and Matthew Hurt are so well known and highly regarded that they'll likely start as freshmen even at the most elite programs so they might as well go where they are going to get the most national attention. Players below that tier (like Coffey and Oturu) can benefit from coming to a place like the U of M because they would be less likely to start immediately at the highest level programs. If Carr is able to go to the NBA after this season, that will be three consecutive years that a Pitino recruit has done that and should boost the image of this program with recruits.

Thanks! I understand the preference for players with longer tenures but I think Pitino's strategy of mixing transfers with prep recruits is an obvious strategy for a program like ours. It bolsters the physical maturity level of the team and reduces the chances of players being busts if they have demonstrated already that they can be productive at the D1 level. That's the same strategy that worked very well for Hoiberg at Iowa State. We'll see in time if he is able to pull off the same thing at Nebraska. Miles tried it there as well but wasn't successful enough. Unfortunately for Miles, he also had a pretty high rate of out-migration.

I don't fault Pitino for not getting the very best of the Minnesota prep stars. The days of getting tremendous prep players almost by default because they are in-state natives (like Kevin McHale) are long gone. Players like Suggs, Holmgren, and Matthew Hurt are so well known and highly regarded that they'll likely start as freshmen even at the most elite programs so they might as well go where they are going to get the most national attention. Players below that tier (like Coffey and Oturu) can benefit from coming to a place like the U of M because they would be less likely to start immediately at the highest level programs. If Carr is able to go to the NBA after this season, that will be three consecutive years that a Pitino recruit has done that and should boost the image of this program with recruits.

Yeah, I agree with you and the more success we have with transfers like Carr and BJ, more will hopefully embrace the Maroon & Gold.

Side bar on McHale - While I've never met him, several of my family have as they live on Side Lake which is where my Mom, Uncle live and he still spends him summer in MN and winters in AZ. Hell of a nice guy still after all this money and fame - love that.

I can't wait for the game to start BTW - lol!

All the posts will jump to the "Buy out Pitino" thread if we lose by 15 or more tonight.

If we win by 15, this thread will be 10 pages longer tomorrow!

All the posts will jump to the "Buy out Pitino" thread if we lose by 15 or more tonight.

If we win by 15, this thread will be 10 pages longer tomorrow!
Not mine, i will stand by this team to the end.

I have made an executive decision as the CPO (Chief Posting Officer) of this thread that every time we beat a ranked time, I am adding 5 years to extension.

Petulant? Definitely.
Odd? No question.
Helpful? Maybe.
Why? Two specific reasons.
1. While the players may not check out the site, that doesn't mean friends/families don't. And as this train keeps moving, some smart and industrious reporter will figure out they can do a fun piece on virtual fans and how they are enjoying this ride.
2. Irrational Positivity. No one has ever perished from smiling too much or being too positive to my knowledge.

Last edited:

I’d still replace Pitino if we could. If we get to beat a couple of good teams every few years, invited to the ncaa tournament one or twice every 6 years, and perennial NIT candidates woohooo!!! Build this man a statue and back up the brinks trucks. His entire tenure has been underwhelming, a few games doesn’t change that narrative.

I’d still replace Pitino if we could. If we get to beat a couple of good teams every few years, invited to the ncaa tournament one or twice every 6 years, and perennial NIT candidates woohooo!!! Build this man a statue and back up the brinks trucks. His entire tenure has been underwhelming, a few games doesn’t change that narrative.
Of course a couple of games does not but tis roster and team is different. String together season after season starting this year and he will be here.

Wow, you are entitled to your opinion Debbie Downer and man, you must be a joy to be around, as you can't even get in the spirit of celebrating something we haven't accomplished, per the broadcast since 2013 in beating Top 25 teams back-to-back. Obvious, the point of the post is to have fun, Sherlock. Feel free to ignore my posts moving forward.

Guess you're one of those types who feel better by trying to make happy/positive people feel bad; you don't make me angry, I pity you - but it's your life, so rock on kiddo.

BTW, green isn't your color -

1609211691485.png

Of course a couple of games does not but tis roster and team is different. String together season after season starting this year and he will be here.
I understand your point but he has yet to have done that. For me it’s the lack of consistent recruiting.

What if we go 5-0 in this ranked team stretch? Would that be the record for consecutive wins over ranked opponents?that would be 7 consecutive wins over ranked teams.

ss?

Wow, you are entitled to your opinion Debbie Downer and man, you must be a joy to be around, as you can't even get in the spirit of celebrating something we haven't accomplished, per the broadcast since 2013 in beating Top 25 teams back-to-back. Obvious, the point of the post is to have fun, Sherlock. Feel free to ignore my posts moving forward.

Guess you're one of those types who feel better by trying to make happy/positive people feel bad; you don't make me angry, I pity you - but it's your life, so rock on kiddo.

BTW, green isn't your color -

View attachment 11000
I’m just blunt and to the point. I’m sorry my opinions affected you in such a way. I’m happy we beat two ranked opponents and hopefully Wisconsin next. I’m not happy with Pitino as coach because we will always be just above average but never great, with a few good years sprinkled in to keep the supporters happy.

I’m just blunt and to the point. I’m sorry my opinions affected you in such a way. I’m happy we beat two ranked opponents and hopefully Wisconsin next. I’m not happy with Pitino as coach because we will always be just above average but never great, with a few good years sprinkled in to keep the supporters happy.
He has been below average but a great year can do so much for the players, for the fans.

Fair enough and than you for clarifying

I'll go down this road with you, but I prefer quantifiable benchmarks, vs. subjective opinions, in a case such as this.

So -

What would be a great season, in your opinion for the Gophers this year?
Which coaches do you consider great, currently coaching in the B10?
Is there any result (finishing top three in conference, Elite Eight) where you wouldn't want Pitino gone?

I think these are fair questions to pose based on your current stance.

Also, if you change your mind and want to hope on the fan wagon (I don't like the term bandwagon), I've save you a seat and you'll be welcomed with open arms.

Last edited:

Scholarship numbers aren't going to increase, so coaches are going to cut people loose. There should be a lot of transfers next year.
Good point. Small schools like say Iona, are going to get access to talent they normally wouldn't. Will lead to a lot of deep rosters and conferences.

Build another statue, quick before the first one is completed. Lol

Excellent idea. Maybe a giant statue of Pitino looking down from on top of Williams Arena ala the Rio statue. I would definitely donate for that.

Top Bottom