Dennis Gates... He's my pick.

I do think it's legit to question Gates lack of experience and also winning with all JUCO players. One way of thinking is that he just finds a way to win. But there is no way you bring in JUCO guys and expect success in the Big 10. Maybe here and there you can bring 1 in but you gotta develop guys IMO. I'm worried about Gates. I'll jump all in if he's the hire though.

RP did a more impressive job at one year at FIU? I don't agree and I don't see the logic either.

Dennis Gates is nowhere near the same person as Richard Pitino.

Dennis Gates is beyond qualified to lead this program. If you don't think that having an African American head coach that kids can look up to as a role model who's young, intelligent and played at a high level makes a difference? It sure in heck does.

He did. I researched FIU and Cleveland State. Cleveland State had much more success in their history compared to FIU.

Cleveland State had much more success "recently" prior to Gates arrival than did Pitino.

FIU was a much harder job than Cleveland State at the time both coaches got the job there.

I don't care about skin color, I care about bringing someone in who has the following record:

Year before Gates: 5-13 Conference 10-21 overall
2019-2020: 7-11 Conference 12-19 overall SOS -11.16
2020-2021: 16-4 Conference 19-7 overall SOS -4.20

Richard Pitino
year before Pitino 5-11 Conference 8-21 overall
2012-2013: 11-9 Conference 18-14 overall SOS -2.11

RP had a tougher SOS and also had a much wider swing in wins his first and only year at FIU.

Yes, what Pitino did at FIU IS more impressive than what Gates did at Cleveland State

Houston is very good. That said Cleveland State is not having a good night.

Losing by 30, because they’re a 15 seed playing a 2 seed .... because of course they’re a 15 seed, they’re the Horizon League champ.

Okay, so let's say Coyle had a secret handshake with Gates to be the next coach. Does he
break the deal after losing by 30-40 points?
How much enthusiasm would there be for the Gates hire?
Does hiring a black coach override all logic of best available coach?
As the world turns...

Okay, so let's say Coyle had a secret handshake with Gates to be the next coach. Does he
break the deal after losing by 30-40 points?
How much enthusiasm would there be for the Gates hire?
Does hiring a black coach override all logic of best available coach?
As the world turns...
This is how we U.

it's one game only - you cannot judge anyone on that sample size unless they are one of the all time greats.

Not great obviously, but trust the process or not.

My bracket on the other hand is wrecked now - that is the true tragedy.

The awkward part is that losing in the first round by 30 points is a step up from where we are as a program.

For those who didn't go to a smaller D1 school...welcome to the reality of the NCAA tournament. The real victory is making it in, because once you do you get matched up against a vastly superior team and get pounded more often than not. It doesn't automatically make Gates a bad coach or a bad option. Yeah, sometimes you get away with a victory like with Ohio State earlier today. But that is the exception, not the rule.

The awkward part is that losing in the first round by 30 points is a step up from where we are as a program.

For those who didn't go to a smaller D1 school...welcome to the reality of the NCAA tournament. The real victory is making it in, because once you do you get matched up against a vastly superior team and get pounded more often than not. It doesn't automatically make Gates a bad coach or a bad option. Yeah, sometimes you get away with a victory like with Ohio State earlier today. But that is the exception, not the rule.

Way too much rationality for this forum!

They were 15 point underdogs and lost by 30 +. It was a very poor showing.
You’re right. But every single coach we are looking at has had poor showings this year. Musselman struggled to put away a mediocre Sensodyne. Still want him.

Tony Bennett lost by 20 points to a 16 seed. This is Cleveland State's 3rd appearance in an NCAA tournament ever. Turning CSU around and winning a conference title in 2 years is a hell of an accomplishment and I don't think getting boat raced by probably the 5th or 6th best team in the country is anything to be ashamed of. I always preferred Craig Smith over Gates but this does nothing to diminish my view that Gates is a future star in the sport. Hell, it may be too early for him and it probably is but I trust that his process can bear fruit for wherever he lands.

Selling a coach coming off a 30 point loss would be tough lol and would take some cojones but I really don't think single games should be a factor when considering a coach. Trust the bigger sample size, pay attention to how they run a program, look at the X's and O's....we don't need a flash in the pan that pulled a once in a lifetime upset. Give me the coach with the blueprint to sustain success here.

I have really chimed in much on the coaching search. Don’t have a lead dog. I am hesitant on gates. The guy I really would like is Porter Moser but I don’t think he has a thread.

Top Bottom