Dennis Gates... He's my pick.

Is it only me that thinks this is like arguing over who was a better 5th grade coach?

This is the dumbest take on here.
Here are a few coaches in the tournament who didn’t play big time basketball: Mark Few, Scott Drew, Chris Beard, Greg Gard, Roy Williams, Kelvin Sampson, Nate Oats, Tom Izzo, Shaka Smart and a ton of others.
Playing D1 basketball doesn’t mean you’re a better coach. It does lead to more opportunities to get into coaching though.
Here’s a question for you, did Richie even play varsity high school basketball? Did he even compete at that level? Guessing almost all, if not all of those coaches you listed did, and most we’re probably pretty good at that level. I’m willing to bet Richie, not so much.

Last edited:

Here’s a question for you, did Richie even play varsity high school basketball? Did he even compete at that level? Guessing almost all, if not all of those coaches you listed did, and most we’re probably pretty good at that level. I’m willing to bet Richie, not so much.
He did play high school varsity. LSUs coach is the lone coach in the tournament to not have played high school basketball.
again—playing experience has proven to have no correlation to coaching but keep focusing on our former coach.

Gates is Pitino 2.0
You don’t think there is anything different? Do you see Gates as having the same personality, coaching style, recruiting, offensive system etc.?

I see some similarities but I’m not sure if I just write it off as Pitino 2.0.

I’ll make a bet with you for any dollar amount that if Gates is hired, his big ten record will be better than Pitino’s.

Gates is not even my top choice but I would be much happier with him than Pitino.

Ill take one JUCO, but he also ran a 4 Guard and 1 Forward team the last two years.
I just looked this up this morning.

Bill Musselman had three JUCOs his first year (Big Ten champion) in 1971-72. Ron Behagen, Clyde Turner & Bob Nix. However, this was at a time freshmen were not eligible to play, so immediate gratification required the transfers.

A couple years later, when freshmen became eligible, he recruited Mychal Thompson, Mark Oberding, Osborne Lockhart & Dave Winey along with JUCO Mark Landsberger. That's still the best incoming group in Gopher history, although his recruiting tactics had him leaving in a hurry after that.

You don’t think there is anything different? Do you see Gates as having the same personality, coaching style, recruiting, offensive system etc.?

I see some similarities but I’m not sure if I just write it off as Pitino 2.0.

I’ll make a bet with you for any dollar amount that if Gates is hired, his big ten record will be better than Pitino’s.

Gates is not even my top choice but I would be much happier with him than Pitino.
I think it’s like people saying Fleck is Brewster 2.0. Not saying Gates will be better than Pitino but to automatically equate coaches is foolish.

I think it’s like people saying Fleck is Brewster 2.0. Not saying Gates will be better than Pitino but to automatically equate coaches is foolish.
I agree with you. I always get confused by comments like that. Especially from people on a random message board that have zero insight into the individuals.

I agree with you. I always get confused by comments like that. Especially from people on a random message board that have zero insight into the individuals.
Correct. I’m cool with speculation and they can say/think what they want but its typically way off base.

I think it’s like people saying Fleck is Brewster 2.0.
Does not compute.

Brewster had no head coaching experience at all while Fleck had proven himself as a head coach at a MAC (bball comparable to MWC/A10) school.

Gates and Pitino are very comparable for their lack of head coaching record.

Does not compute.

Brewster had no head coaching experience at all while Fleck had proven himself as a head coach at a MAC (bball comparable to MWC/A10) school.

Gates and Pitino are very comparable for their lack of head coaching record.
And both similar to Andy Enfeld, who coached two years in a low conference after five years as an assistant in a major conference and is now doing well as a head coach in a power 5. Be careful with comparisons. They always fall short. Insisting that the comparison is relevant sells short the real people involved.

And both similar to Andy Enfeld, who coached two years in a low conference after five years as an assistant in a major conference and is now doing well as a head coach in a power 5. Be careful with comparisons. They always fall short. Insisting that the comparison is relevant sells short the real people involved.
Great post!

again—playing experience has proven to have no correlation to coaching but keep focusing on our former coach.

Do you have a link to that data? Even if you do, I suspect there is a problem trying to answer that question with existing data because I don't imagine there are a lot of high level basketball coaches who haven't played at least at the high school level. Those who have gotten that far without significant playing experience likely would have to be either exceptionally strong (and persuasive) individuals (or in some cases connected).

Do you have a link to that data? Even if you do, I suspect there is a problem trying to answer that question with existing data because I don't imagine there are a lot of high level basketball coaches who haven't played at least at the high school level. Those who have gotten that far without significant playing experience likely would have to be either exceptionally strong (and persuasive) individuals (or in some cases connected).
Here's a link...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Drew

I’ve shared plenty of links showing coaches and their experience. Playing at a high level leads to more opportunities to coach. It doesn’t make you a better coach.

He did play high school varsity. LSUs coach is the lone coach in the tournament to not have played high school basketball.
I’m just bitter that we had to suffer through 8 years, 8 long ass years of piss poor coaching and piss poor compete level. Anyone could see it after 5 years.

I’m just bitter that we had to suffer through 8 years, 8 long ass years of piss poor coaching and piss poor compete level. Anyone could see it after 5 years.
I don’t disagree. But I don’t think him being a shitty basketball player 20 years ago was the issue.

Comparisons steal your joy

Top Bottom