Dennis Gates... He's my pick.

Funny. Norm's responses when entering the bar were never disappointing.
Woody..."What's shaking Mr. Peterson?" Norm..."All four cheeks and a couple chins."

Woody..."What's shaking Mr. Peterson?" Norm..."All four cheeks and a couple chins."

Yeah, just great writing and george wendt's timing was impeccable with those. With norm of course we never got to meet vera. Interesting that in the spinoff frasier they brought that concept over and we never got to see niles's wife maris. Dont know if you ever watched frasier but that is in the top echelon of sitcoms as well imo.

Yeah, just great writing and george wendt's timing was impeccable with those. With norm of course we never got to meet vera. Interesting that in the spinoff frasier they brought that concept over and we never got to see niles's wife maris. Dont know if you ever watched frasier but that is in the top echelon of sitcoms as well imo.
Yes Frasier was very good. Rebooting.

I've enjoyed Frasier more in repeats, never watched it much when it was first on. Not sure if that's a good idea or not.

Last edited:

Agree. I would be very pleased with Gates. I am about as far from sjw as they come, but still feel just a tiny a bit queezy when i see a white coach and a team of black players. Most important thing is competence and gates checks that box.

I do wonder if race has an influence these days with recruiting. Do black coaches have a recruiting advantage or is that not a factor for kids and parents these days?
That fact that that makes you queasy is the issue. It really shouldn’t matter if the coach is black and the whole team is white or the inverse, that shouldn’t bother anyone; unless you are suggesting segregation will make everyone more comfortable. If it’s a recruiting advantage, then the recruits in question are racist. Black players have been playing for white coaches and white players have been playing for black coaches for a long time, it’s ok.

That fact that that makes you queasy is the issue. It really shouldn’t matter if the coach is black and the whole team is white or the inverse, that shouldn’t bother anyone; unless you are suggesting segregation will make everyone more comfortable. If it’s a recruiting advantage, then the recruits in question are racist. Black players have been playing for white coaches and white players have been playing for black coaches for a long time, it’s ok.

Haha, exactly. Asking if bc you are a black coach gives you an advantage over a recruit has been discussed. If that was the case, there would be more black coaches as NCAA is a business.

I don't care for Gates at #1 pick and after the game vs Houston, he needs more time to show he can recruit his own players that are NOT jucos and develop them.

I don't want a Gopher squad full of JUCOS

Haha, exactly. Asking if bc you are a black coach gives you an advantage over a recruit has been discussed. If that was the case, there would be more black coaches as NCAA is a business.

I don't care for Gates at #1 pick and after the game vs Houston, he needs more time to show he can recruit his own players that are NOT jucos and develop them.

Maybe not a full team of JUCOs, but one or two on the level of Bobby Jackson and Ray Williams.

He was known as a strong recruiter at Florida State, and I think that is more comparable to MN. From reading some stories about him, listening to interviews, and watching videos, he seems to be an intriguing mix of the classic "players coach" and the no-nonsense high expectations guy with a strong work ethic, and it breeds respect in his players.

Here's a couple quotes from FSU players that help draw a picture of who he is as a coach:
"Coach Gates is just a genuine guy that is going to tell you how it is no matter what,” Nichols said. “It’s always from a place of love and respect, so you have no choice, but to listen to what he says and give back that same level of respect. He is a Chicago guy, so I was able to relate to that right away when he started recruiting me and he played a huge role in my decision to come to Florida State. After my first conversation with him, I remember telling my dad that I could see myself playing for a guy like Coach Gates. I would run through a wall for him. Coach Gates is a great coach and a great person off of the court,” Nichols said.
“He is a guy you can talk to about anything in the world with and he always knows what to say to put you in the right frame of mind. He has a great basketball mind and is the ultimate player’s coach. If you don’t want to play hard and execute for Coach Gates, then you just might not like playing basketball.
"Dennis has a great demeanor for coaching and leading people,” Wilson said. “He demands respect from the first encounter, connects with people and has a tremendous work ethic. He’ll do great things for Cleveland State"

He was known as a strong recruiter at Florida State, and I think that is more comparable to MN. From reading some stories about him, listening to interviews, and watching videos, he seems to be an intriguing mix of the classic "players coach" and the no-nonsense high expectations guy with a strong work ethic, and it breeds respect in his players.

Here's a couple quotes from FSU players that help draw a picture of who he is as a coach:
That last one: he was right!

But a perfect world it is not. We hear about the need for more black teachers to serve as role models. Is it wrong for black parents to favor having their child in a class with a teacher who may more closely share their experiences?

But the thing is, any coach who is a candidate to move up the ranks will have good reviews. I'm sure Pitino would be described the same way.

1 good year in the horizon league doesnt do much for me, just like one good year in the sun belt when Pitino was there

Pitino had a bigger swing in wins his first and only year than Gates
Pitino had a better SOS than Gates at FIU compared to CSU
Pitino only had 3 scholarship players when he got to FIU
Both recruited JUCOs to carry their respective teams
Both were considered top recruiters when they were assistants

We have a Gates thread.... it Pitino was never a great recruiter.

I think there is little question that Gates sounds and talks the part. We are just a little gun-shy about investing in a young, unproven coach after Pitino. If he had just finished his 4th season of 20+ wins and had a couple of solid high school recruiting classes under his belt, he would be a very sold choice.

I'm sure if you post a few more Gates threads Coyle will take your opinion to heart.

Since there are conflicting opinions can we rename this "Dennis gates....meh"

Top Bottom