Dennis Gates... He's my pick.

Big Ten should not be a proving ground!

Would I prefer a coach with a strong head coaching resume? Without a doubt which is why I lean toward Craig Smith but what had Izzo proved before getting the Michigan State job? Bo Ryan? Matt Painter? Juwan Howard? There's no checklist of achievements that makes a great coach.

Would I prefer a coach with a strong head coaching resume? Without a doubt which is why I lean toward Craig Smith but what had Izzo proved before getting the Michigan State job? Bo Ryan? Matt Painter? Juwan Howard? There's no checklist of achievements that makes a great coach.
Izzo and Painter were promoted from within at established programs. Juwan wasn't but inherited a very good team from Belein.

I'm sure Coyle has done his research already ad nauseum - he knew last year that he might end up here, so let's not cause the board to simultaneously combust with all this angst. It's starting to feel very Jr. High like.

Izzo and Painter were promoted from within at established programs. Juwan wasn't but inherited a very good team from Belein.
Izzo so took over a dead program at msu. Heathcote was going to be fired if he didn't quit. Izzo built his program on toughness - rebounding and defense - and had a knack for finding solid guards. Howard at Michigan was considered a reach but he has recruited very well. I hope our next coach has that same tough determination that izzo has and can recruit half as well as howard . gates or smith or Moser? I don't care. That toughness and determination, and the ability to recruit will determine whether we will have success in the future.

Izzo so took over a dead program at msu. Heathcote was going to be fired if he didn't quit. Izzo built his program on toughness - rebounding and defense - and had a knack for finding solid guards. Howard at Michigan was considered a reach but he has recruited very well. I hope our next coach has that same tough determination that izzo has and can recruit half as well as howard . gates or smith or Moser? I don't care. That toughness and determination, and the ability to recruit will determine whether we will have success in the future.
What? They went 22-6, 14-4 in the B1G Judd's last season. They made the NCAA's 5 out of his last 6 seasons. It was far from dead. Izzo's a great coach but he didn't build it back from the dead. Horrible take.

Gates also had 8 years as a lead assistant under a great coach in Leonard Hamilton. Pitino had 1 to 2 year stints at like 6 different programs as an assistant before getting the FIU job. I like Gates resume a lot more.
Guess what, Gates actually played big time college basketball too. Richie? Not so much.

Gates needs more experience, i am shocked people are even considering him as a candidate! There are so many more coaches with better resumes and have proved they can build a successful program

I would guess that like many on this board Coyle will be making his decision on the results of one NCAA tournament game. Also it’s clear that Izzo, Holtmann, and Painter suck at coaching and should be fired immediately.

Guess what, Gates actually played big time college basketball too. Richie? Not so much.
This is the dumbest take on here.
Here are a few coaches in the tournament who didn’t play big time basketball: Mark Few, Scott Drew, Chris Beard, Greg Gard, Roy Williams, Kelvin Sampson, Nate Oats, Tom Izzo, Shaka Smart and a ton of others.
Playing D1 basketball doesn’t mean you’re a better coach. It does lead to more opportunities to get into coaching though.

Gates has more experience than Pitino did.
Moser won his game!

Gates needs more experience, i am shocked people are even considering him as a candidate! There are so many more coaches with better resumes and have proved they can build a successful program
I'm tired of this mantra.

FWIW, Juwan Howard has just finished his second year as a college coach at any level. And he was hired with ZERO college coaching experience.

Yes, Gates is a bit of a gamble, but then it may be a gamble to not get in on an emerging coaching talent early. He has paid his dues, and unlike a recent Gopher coach, had to advance entirely on his own ability at each stop he took.

I'm a swing-for-the-fences guy that will accept a higher strike out rate. He is currently #3 on my list after Musselman (long shot) & Smith.

FWIW, Juwan Howard has just finished his second year as a college coach at any level. And he was hired with ZERO college coaching experience.

Yes, Gates is a bit of a gamble, but then it may be a gamble to not get in on an emerging coaching talent early. He has paid his dues, and unlike a recent Gopher coach, had to advance entirely on his own ability at each stop he took.

I'm a swing-for-the-fences guy that will accept a higher strike out rate. He is currently #3 on my list after Musselman (long shot) & Smith.

Agree. I would be very pleased with Gates. I am about as far from sjw as they come, but still feel just a tiny a bit queezy when i see a white coach and a team of black players. Most important thing is competence and gates checks that box.

I do wonder if race has an influence these days with recruiting. Do black coaches have a recruiting advantage or is that not a factor for kids and parents these days?

If a coach who is a POC does get this job it will be someone other than Gates.

Gates is Richard 2.0 (but black)

I had an interaction this week with a low talker, and it was SO FRUSTRATING.

Yeah, just so much memorable humor. The rivalry between cheers bar and gary's old town tavern always cracked me up. Cheers always came out on the short end, maybe gophs are the Cheers bar of the college BB world.

This is the dumbest take on here.
Here are a few coaches in the tournament who didn’t play big time basketball: Mark Few, Scott Drew, Chris Beard, Greg Gard, Roy Williams, Kelvin Sampson, Nate Oats, Tom Izzo, Shaka Smart and a ton of others.
Playing D1 basketball doesn’t mean you’re a better coach. It does lead to more opportunities to get into coaching though.

Agreed. I also don't like the Juwan Howard comparison. Google nba players that went onto coach college ball.

What is the difference between them and Dennis Gates?

Every single one of them played on a championship NBA team or was an all star at one point.

Dennis Gates, I couldn't find anything in the NBA.

So yes, kids will initially be drawn to a Howard type or a Penny type or a Clyde type or an Isaiah type bc of the wow factor.

He hasnt recruited anyone of significance at Cleveland State and yet all i hear is he's a great recruiter.

Such great characters on both shows.
Less of a Sienfeld fan myself, great comedy shows like these start with the writers and then the right mix of cast members. Friends is another. Mary Tyler Moore and Bob Newhart shows, classics.

Less of a Sienfeld fan myself, great comedy shows like these start with the writers and then the right mix of cast members. Friends is another. Mary Tyler Moore and Bob Newhart shows, classics.

I never really got into friends, agree on the other two. Also have always thought Barney Miller was underrated.

Top Bottom