Dennis Gates... He's my pick.

I think the hire is Gates.

I think it's almost already sealed.
I think it's why he turned down BC.
I think Coyle has something already agreed to in principal with Gates as he did last time with Fleck, but the optics of a full search still need to take place.

I think he'll be announced a couple days after Cleveland St's next loss. (Likely Tuesday).

I'm hoping they upset Houston however and make a run.

I wouldn't be surprised if his wife also lands a job at the U within 18 months.

I think Coyle has something already agreed to in principal with Gates as he did last time with Fleck, but the optics of a full search still need to take place.

I think he'll be announced a couple days after Cleveland St's next loss. (Likely Tuesday).

This is what you want to happen, clearly. That’s not the same thing as what you reasonably think will happen.

I’m kind of feeling the same way as you. Wouldn’t mind the hire at all. Might not be a “splash” hire to the average fan but I really think he would do well here

Do we know he turned down BC?

Do we know he turned down BC?

It's odd because he was a name obviously connected, and his wife is an Assistant AD there.
The person who got the job is not as impressive (In my opinion) as Gates.
The timing of rumors of our opening, and his falling out of favor with the BC job seem closely linked because BC decided to move forward with their hire, just a day or two later of the rumor that Minnesota was going to get to talk to Gates.

There was some assurance made there, and I think that's why BC moved on.
Knowing how Coyle worked with Fleck, the deal obviously isn't done, but for BC to move on without waiting to interview Gates for a possible job seems odd if Gates didn't have a strong feeling he was landing somewhere else.

Also, I think this is a homerun hire for Coyle.
If you listen to Gates talk, his culture is identical to what Fleck preaches. Same leadership philosophies. Coyle is branding our athletic department with that.

Gates doesn't bring the Fleck-isms, but he's very similar.

The timing of this to bring diversity in light of the social unrest our city has seen, this helps not only the basketball program, but Fleck and the rest of our athletic department as well.

He checks all the boxes, plus that one.

Gates doesn't bring the Fleck-isms, but he's very similar.

A Fleck type without Fleck-isms? That's no fun. You need the symbolisms, the slogans, and the titles of the mythical creatures of the week awarded to players.

A Fleck type without Fleck-isms? That's no fun. You need the symbolisms, the slogans, and the titles of the mythical creatures of the week awarded to players.

Gates is a PJ Fleck for all of those Gopher fans who want PJ to turn it down a notch.

It's odd because he was a name obviously connected, and his wife is an Assistant AD there.
The timing of rumors of our opening, and his falling out of favor with the BC job seem closely linked because BC decided to move forward with their hire, just a day or two later of the rumor that Minnesota was going to get to talk to Gates.

There was some assurance made there, and I think that's why BC moved on.
Knowing how Coyle worked with Fleck, the deal obviously isn't done, but for BC to move on without waiting to interview Gates for a possible job seems odd if Gates didn't have a strong feeling he was landing somewhere else.
I would be fine with this. It's not my first preference but I think Gates has real good potential. I also think that the scenario you paint is fairly likely considering what happened at BC.

Gates is the best candidate, for several reasons. I hope he's the next Gopher coach.

What do you reasonably think will happen?
Frankly, no idea. Just percentages of possibilities, which are going to mostly be guesses.

I think:
Muss 0.1% chance.
Dutcher I'll give 9.9% chance (though I suspect closer to 0%).

And that leaves:
30% for Gates
30% for Smith
30% for someone else

There will be, and probably already are, other players for these two guys. U of Utah for Smith, makes a ton of sense if he wants continuity for himself and his family and an easier conference.

Agree that BC would've made a lot of sense for Smith, so that does add smoke. I can't deny it. But we also have no idea if he was offered or if he turned it down. But he has coached all over the place and could be a candidate for pretty much any job in the country.

Last edited:

Your's and everyone else's impression is almost entirely built on being an asst. at Florida St. He's only been a head coach, in a low-major league, for two years.

That's not impressive.

I agree that the other guy isn't exactly impressive, either. But he has been a head coach for seven years, in a slightly better conference. Built them up nicely in his first four years. They have definitely regressed in the next three years, and I have no idea why. That would be a concern.

BC to move on without waiting to interview Gates for a possible job seems odd if Gates didn't have a strong feeling he was landing somewhere else.
Or he just flat out told them he wasn't interested. But that doesn't mean anything for Minnesota. For all we know, he wants to stay at Cleveland St and wait until FSU opens up because the head coach there told him just to wait another year or two and the job is his.

Frankly, no idea. Just percentages of possibilities, which are going to mostly be guesses.

I think:
Muss 0% chance.
Dutcher I'll give 10% chance (though I suspect closer to 0%).

And that leaves:
30% for Gates
30% for Smith
30% for someone else

There will be, and probably already are, other players for these two guys. U of Utah for Smith, makes a ton of sense if he wants continuity for himself and his family and an easier conference.

Agree that BC would've made a lot of sense for Smith, so that does add smoke. I can't deny it. But we also have no idea if he was offered or if he turned it down. But he has coached all over the place and could be a candidate for pretty much any job in the country.
Utah opening sure makes things interesting for Smith thats for sure. I mean MN is the better job but if he likes it down there i cant blame him for keeping similar for his family. I thought for sure if we offer Smith the job he is ours. This certainly adds a little twist.

Gates, again if true about him already having an interview lines up, certainly adds more smoke to that as well.

Gonna be a fun next week or so. certainly a lot will depend on when the teams bow out of the tourney

Except being a head coach for more than two years, and being a head coach in a conference higher than a low-major.

Yeah, those are not boxes you want to brush aside.
He is qualified enough to interview.
I think he'll win the interview.

I think Gates gets the job.

I'm good with Gates, Smith, Medved, Dutcher... (Anyone but Saunders pretty much).

I think Gates already has the job. These hirings happen quickly. Coyle has his coach.

He is qualified enough to interview.
Or, they want to include a Black candidate to make it look like they're considering diversity.

I think Gates already has the job.
Again, what you want, not necessarily what you reasonably think.

I truly just don't get the excitement for a two year, Horizon League coach. That doesn't mean anything. It certainly doesn't mean he can do well in the Big Ten.

Why are you excited? Because of a YouTube video and some radio interviews? So. What? Anyone can talk. Talk is cheap.

I know I'm coming off like a prick. And I apologize.

If he's the new head coach, I will support him 100%.

I just want a proven head coach from a solid mid-major conference. Don't care what color their skin is.

Gates may have only been a Head Coach for 2 years, but he has a significant amount of assistant coaching time under Leonard Hamilton who has built up Florida State into a very good program in the ACC.

There are several coaches who have done very well following a similar path including Brian Dutcher. Yes Dutcher was an assistant for 20 years and Gates for 9, but I bet Dutch would of done fine with ten less years of tutelage.

I'm good with a Gates hire if Coyle likes him. I just think BC has a pretty good shot at getting him first.

And I'm not sure Gates is choice 1A for Coyle.

Gates may have only been a Head Coach for 2 years, but he has a significant amount of assistant coaching time under Leonard Hamilton who has built up Florida State into a very good program in the ACC.

There are several coaches who have done very well following a similar path including Brian Dutcher. Yes Dutcher was an assistant for 20 years and Gates for 9, but I bet Dutch would of done fine with ten less years of tutelage.

I'm good with a Gates hire if Coyle likes him. I just think BC has a pretty good shot at getting him first.

And I'm not sure Gates is choice 1A for Coyle.
BC already hired someone else.

For all we know, he wants to stay at Cleveland St and wait until FSU opens up because the head coach there told him just to wait another year or two and the job is his.

I wouldn't bank my future on the above premise, as it ultimately is the AD & FSU's decision on their next coach when Leonard Hamilton retires. Or it could be a narrative floated by FSU donors/alumni who hope he is around to take that job whenever it becomes open.

A bird in the hand. It's not like he is waiting for the Duke/UNC job.

I wouldn't bank my future on the above premise, as it ultimately is the AD & FSU's decision on their next coach when Leonard Hamilton retires. Or it could be a narrative floated by FSU donors/alumni who hope he is around to take that job whenever it becomes open.

A bird in the hand. It's not like he is waiting for the Duke/UNC job.
All true.

At the same time, he has no ties to and maybe has never set foot in Minnesota. He probably has a lot of ties in Tallahassee after living there for eight years straight. He might feel it's worth it to keep building CSU for a year or two more and see what else opens up.

Top Bottom