Dennis Gates... He's my pick.

All true.

At the same time, he has no ties to and maybe has never set foot in Minnesota. He probably has a lot of ties in Tallahassee after living there for eight years straight. He might feel it's worth it to keep building CSU for a year or two more and see what else opens up.

More importantly, is Gopher Lady going to retire?

With all this traffic she must be like this guy -

1615991827667.png

I know I'm coming off like a prick. And I apologize.

If he's the new head coach, I will support him 100%.

I just want a proven head coach from a solid mid-major conference. Don't care what color their skin is.
Solid? That's really swinging for the fences.

Any coach being hired here will have question marks:

Musselman .... Attention to academic standards & NCAA rules.

Dutcher ... To me, being an assistent for 25+ years makes me question his ambition. 61yo and only in his fourth year as a HC with an established winning tradition.

Moser .... Years of mediocrity before recent success.

Smith .... Great coach, but can he recruit?

Your's and everyone else's impression is almost entirely built on being an asst. at Florida St. He's only been a head coach, in a low-major league, for two years.

That's not impressive.

I agree that the other guy isn't exactly impressive, either. But he has been a head coach for seven years, in a slightly better conference. Built them up nicely in his first four years. They have definitely regressed in the next three years, and I have no idea why. That would be a concern.

Or he just flat out told them he wasn't interested. But that doesn't mean anything for Minnesota. For all we know, he wants to stay at Cleveland St and wait until FSU opens up because the head coach there told him just to wait another year or two and the job is his.
Just FYI, Hamilton signed a contract extension at Free Shoes U a couple weeks ago that goes through 2025, so it won't be just a couple years.

Dutcher ... To me, being an assistent for 25+ years makes me question his ambition. 61yo and only in his fourth year as a HC with an established winning tradition.

Looking at his roster, 6 of the 15 are foreign players. Thought I read on here that one of his assistants is big on recruiting out of the States.

No sure fire candidates. All have a case against them and for them. That's kind of the way hiring works for most of us.

I like Gates and his experience at high major successful program. I like his external presentation of vision and values. If he is not a fraud, that is valuable. I agree the short time as a head coach and lack of connection to Twin Cities are concerns. But he is a Chicago guy and the Midwest is his base, which is a mitigating factor.

Like others, I suspect Coyle has a plan and likely has a handshake deal with whoever might take the job.

Also, I think this is a homerun hire for Coyle.
If you listen to Gates talk, his culture is identical to what Fleck preaches. Same leadership philosophies. Coyle is branding our athletic department with that.

Gates doesn't bring the Fleck-isms, but he's very similar.

The timing of this to bring diversity in light of the social unrest our city has seen, this helps not only the basketball program, but Fleck and the rest of our athletic department as well.

He checks all the boxes, plus that one.
He doesn't use metaphors referring to primitive forms of transportation? How is he going to be successful?

Just FYI, Hamilton signed a contract extension at Free Shoes U a couple weeks ago that goes through 2025, so it won't be just a couple years.
That means little either way. Coaches will always want 4-5 years left on their contract at all times.

Frankly, no idea. Just percentages of possibilities, which are going to mostly be guesses.

I think:
Muss 0.1% chance.
Dutcher I'll give 9.9% chance (though I suspect closer to 0%).

And that leaves:
30% for Gates
30% for Smith
30% for someone else

There will be, and probably already are, other players for these two guys. U of Utah for Smith, makes a ton of sense if he wants continuity for himself and his family and an easier conference.

Agree that BC would've made a lot of sense for Smith, so that does add smoke. I can't deny it. But we also have no idea if he was offered or if he turned it down. But he has coached all over the place and could be a candidate for pretty much any job in the country.
BC is a dumpster fire, it wouldn't be that shocking if a coach who has confidence he will have better offers down the line turned it down, without having a specific offer in hand.

He doesn't use metaphors referring to primitive forms of transportation? How is he going to be successful?
I'd even settle for him using the terms within his coach-speak ... and then just not actually printing them out on signs, clothing, etc.

I think the hire is Gates.

I think it's almost already sealed.
I think it's why he turned down BC.
I think Coyle has something already agreed to in principal with Gates as he did last time with Fleck, but the optics of a full search still need to take place.

I think he'll be announced a couple days after Cleveland St's next loss. (Likely Tuesday).

I'm hoping they upset Houston however and make a run.

I wouldn't be surprised if his wife also lands a job at the U within 18 months.
This still makes sense.

It seems like the signs are pointing towards Gates being target number one.

Got bored and watched a Cleveland State game on YoutTube. They are a fun team to watch play. My only concern with Gates is that he has only coached two seasons in a weak conference. His team is impressive and Gates is impressive, but it's a big jump.

I'm not saying I'm against it, but this would be a risky hire.
he is the politically correct race.

It seems like the signs are pointing towards Gates being target number one.

Please no. RP did a more impressive job at FIU. He had 3 scholarship players when he got there and was one game away from the NCAA tourney. Plus FIU had not done anything in a much longer time span than Cleveland State. RP was also the lead recruiter when he was assistant for many top players. It smells like RP part 2

Gates needs to show he can do something with players besides JUCOs. (which is what RP did at FIU). If Gates had 1 or 2 more years of success, then he'd be a top choice.

I hope Coyle doesn't succumb to the pressure from the Star Tribune. Hire based on experience and merit, not on color of skin.

Gates should be #3/4, not #1

Please no. RP did a more impressive job at FIU. He had 3 scholarship players when he got there and was one game away from the NCAA tourney. Plus FIU had not done anything in a much longer time span than Cleveland State. RP was also the lead recruiter when he was assistant for many top players. It smells like RP part 2

Gates needs to show he can do something with players besides JUCOs. (which is what RP did at FIU). If Gates had 1 or 2 more years of success, then he'd be a top choice.

I hope Coyle doesn't succumb to the pressure from the Star Tribune. Hire based on experience and merit, not on color of skin.

I believe Gates needed help so therefore went to the JUCO route right away to get started. I believe he may have to do that here for specific needs in addition to recruiting incoming freshman. No matter who we hire, there is going to be some questions. I'm not interested in hiring anyone in the 60's though. Gates is still my lean as to the next coach.

I believe Gates needed help so therefore went to the JUCO route right away to get started. I believe he may have to do that here for specific needs in addition to recruiting incoming freshman. No matter who we hire, there is going to be some questions. I'm not interested in hiring anyone in the 60's though. Gates is still my lean as to the next coach.

Mine as well. Seems likeable, humble, would be impressive in the living room imo. Am impressed with his interviews. Success at cleveland st.
Whoever we get is not going to be a sure thing, am hoping Gates is our hire.

Mine as well. Seems likeable, humble, would be impressive in the living room imo. Am impressed with his interviews. Success at cleveland st.
Whoever we get is not going to be a sure thing, am hoping Gates is our hire.
only problem is I have him going to the Elite 8 and losing to the Illini there.

RP did a more impressive job at one year at FIU? I don't agree and I don't see the logic either.

Dennis Gates is nowhere near the same person as Richard Pitino.

Dennis Gates is beyond qualified to lead this program. If you don't think that having an African American head coach that kids can look up to as a role model who's young, intelligent and played at a high level makes a difference? It sure in heck does.

RP did a more impressive job at one year at FIU? I don't agree and I don't see the logic either.

Dennis Gates is nowhere near the same person as Richard Pitino.

Dennis Gates is beyond qualified to lead this program. If you don't think that having an African American head coach that kids can look up to as a role model who's young, intelligent and played at a high level makes a difference? It sure in heck does.
"beyond qualified", I hope you're right

If you don't think that having an African American head coach that kids can look up to as a role model who's young, intelligent and played at a high level makes a difference? It sure in heck does.
Which is why he should pay his dues and climb the ladder. You shouldn't skip from the bottom run directly to the to rung.

Gates also had 8 years as a lead assistant under a great coach in Leonard Hamilton. Pitino had 1 to 2 year stints at like 6 different programs as an assistant before getting the FIU job. I like Gates resume a lot more.

Top Bottom