BREAKING!!!! Dennis Evans ask for release….

He will get pushed out to 10-15 feet away from The hoop in most conferences in college.
For some reason I have visions of Ralph Sampson III in my head with Dennis Evans. Tall, lanky, hyped like hell, not particularly fond of contact, never really turned into the player people thought he would be. Or maybe I'm just coping.

Would the 7 footer from Cali have been as good as Ralph Sampson III?
The pieces are in place to be an average Big Ten Team next year. just get healthy and get a legit back up pg for Talon.

Lets stop pretending that Cali 7 footer would have saved everything, bigs take time to develop.
Very few have, if any, suggested he was a savior. His commitment was hugely important symbolically as a highly rated recruit committing to the future of the program. The reverse is now true. It is symbolically a disaster to have a key commit decommit, especially in the middle of a season in which there has been no discernible steps forward.

Would Evans been important on the floor? Yes. But his commitment was more important for the program than immediate wins. I'm not as convinced as you that the pieces are there for an average B1G team next year. If there is, you are the man in the contrarian game and I salute your vision and support of the program.

The one with deeper pockets and the willingness to empty them?
Sure.

It's also historically a much better program than ours.

Do you think all of these other schools JUST found out about Evans? Do you think they JUST found some money?

What else has changed since this summer?

Pr
Connective tissue disorder. Some signs are very tall and slender, disproportionately long fingers, arms, and legs, sunken chest, extreme nearsightedness.
Describes me to a T sans the eye problem.

He wouldn't be forced to transfer.

He would never enroll here in the first place. He would just enroll at the school he wants to go to, and then just have to be a redshirt there for 23-24. Transfer intact
Yeah, I mean, he could go that route as well but then he'd have to pay for school for that season and RS.

I think the portal would be the better option.

Yeah, I mean, he could go that route as well but then he'd have to pay for school for that season and RS.

I think the portal would be the better option.
I don't think breaking an NLI prevents you from receiving a scholarship at the school you go to. If you know this to be wrong, then I will cede that bit of it.

But would also think there would be no restriction on receiving NIL money anyway, which I assume would be well more than enough to cover expenses.

At the end of the day, even an enforceable contract would not really help anyone in this situation.
So, after all that, you agreed with me that the difference between an LOI and a contract is a technicality. Neither get enforced when someone wants out, at least in this context.

So, after all that, you agreed with me that the difference between an LOI and a contract is a technicality. Neither get enforced when someone wants out, at least in this context.
Huh? I'm saying even the thing you think it is wouldn't have helped in this situation. That doesn't make a LOI an enforceable contract. LOL. A paddleboat wouldn't help in this situation but a LOI isn't a paddleboat.

It's like any other commitment, it kind of ends when one party doesn't really want to be in it anymore. Some of those commitments are harder than others (enforceable contracts are more difficult than like a marriage engagement), but that doesn't make all commitments the same.

I don't think breaking an NLI prevents you from receiving a scholarship at the school you go to. If you know this to be wrong, then I will cede that bit of it.

But would also think there would be no restriction on receiving NIL money anyway, which I assume would be well more than enough to cover expenses.
I didn't think you could be on scholarship at two different schools at a time. But I could be wrong.

Either way, he is not going to sit out a season. He would use his portal.

I didn't think you could be on scholarship at two different schools at a time. But I could be wrong.

Either way, he is not going to sit out a season.
He would use his portal.
Bolded: really? Given how skinny he is, I would think that may well do him very good.

Huh? I'm saying even the thing you think it is wouldn't have helped in this situation. That doesn't make a LOI an enforceable contract. LOL. A paddleboat wouldn't help in this situation but a LOI isn't a paddleboat.

It's like any other commitment, it kind of ends when one party doesn't really want to be in it anymore. Some of those commitments are harder than others (enforceable contracts are more difficult than like a marriage engagement), but that doesn't make all commitments the same.
I think you're assuming I'm one of those who thinks that the U should make him honor his commitment, regardless of whether it's a LOI or contract. I'm not. Evans wants out of his commitment. It doesn't really matter whether we were engaged or married - the end result is he's gone. Why make such a fuss about the difference when the end result is the same?

Would the 7 footer from Cali have been as good as Ralph Sampson III?
The pieces are in place to be an average Big Ten Team next year. just get healthy and get a legit back up pg for Talon.

Lets stop pretending that Cali 7 footer would have saved everything, bigs take time to develop.
Pieces are in place to be average? Like 10-10 in conference? No they're not. Not even close.

Last edited:

For some reason I have visions of Ralph Sampson III in my head with Dennis Evans. Tall, lanky, hyped like hell, not particularly fond of contact, never really turned into the player people thought he would be. Or maybe I'm just coping.
RSIII was still a very good player who you would take every day of the week. He just wasn't as good as he could have been if he'd actually liked basketball.

I think you're assuming I'm one of those who thinks that the U should make him honor his commitment, regardless of whether it's a LOI or contract. I'm not. Evans wants out of his commitment. It doesn't really matter whether we were engaged or married - the end result is he's gone. Why make such a fuss about the difference when the end result is the same?
The vast majority of time I've spent talking about the differences have been with you, responding to your questions/comments. So we're in this fuss together, brother.

I never claimed that you wanted the U to force him to honor his commitment. I am simply saying that like any other commitment from legally enforceable contract to a simple agreement amongst friends, they usually end when one party wants out. That fact doesn't make them all contracts.

Remember, that was your point. You said that because I said that even an enforceable contract wouldn't have helped us in this situation, they are the same thing (LOI and a contract). That was your argument. I was merely pointing out that would be true with ANY agreement and you surely wouldn't consider someone breaking an engagement to be in breach of a contract.

It's both. If things were going super well, it would have been tougher for someone to convince Evans based on pure cash. I think he's getting cash, but I also think common sense says he also got scared of what he was seeing and what it might do to his future prospects for cash here.
Certainly made it easier to ask out. Ryan James put out a podcast saying that Dennis liked MN but his camp didn’t. The losing allowed them to have more say and to choose the money.
If we are successful- money will flow here. The players know that.
I don’t think this is true. Wisconsins NIL still sucks and they win a lot. Nebraska has really good NIL and they lose a lot. MN needs to develop relationships with donors (I don’t know how we do this), but we need our big money alum bad. I’m hoping the competition of St Thomas will help some of our rich alum to step up? It’s been a problem here for a long time (hence why it took so long facility upgrades.

Sure.

It's also historically a much better program than ours.

Do you think all of these other schools JUST found out about Evans? Do you think they JUST found some money?

What else has changed since this summer?
If the crystal ball said TCU, for example, you could make a straight-face argument that Evans was mostly looking to avoid going to a dumpster fire situation. But Louisville is a dumpster fire situation. They might be better positioned to improve than MN, but they're still waaaay below literally 70-80 other programs. Seems pretty obvious what's at play.

Thanks for the solid post.

I think we've seen, and not just in men's basketball but also in football, that there is a small cabal at the very top who do not want company. It is, and has been, extremely difficult, if not essentially impossible, for any school not already in "the club" to maintain high-level success.

The problem of fair talent distribution is by far and wide the issue preventing (more) parity in major college sports, and those at the top like it that way.
Agree, I don't think the broadcast networks want parity, they make their money off of promoting a couple of schools. These schools are on national channels at prime times over and over again. Their announcers hype these teams to build interest.

If the crystal ball said TCU, for example, you could make a straight-face argument that Evans was mostly looking to avoid going to a dumpster fire situation. But Louisville is a dumpster fire situation. They might be better positioned to improve than MN, but they're still waaaay below literally 70-80 other programs. Seems pretty obvious what's at play.
I'm not arguing that Louisville isn't offering money. I'd bet a ton of money that they are offering money. That said, I think Evans could have gotten paid this summer and he chose not do that. I think us being historically awful may have made that Louisville bag a bit more appealing.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. Maybe it was all about $$ but Ben was hired to build the program. He isn't a victim to all of this - it's in the game. So hopefully he has a hell of a plan B.

Agree, I don't think the broadcast networks want parity, they make their money off of promoting a couple of schools. These schools are on national channels at prime times over and over again. Their announcers hype these teams to build interest.
And all the same, major, significant money from TV deals have only been a thing for the last probably what 15 years or so? Maybe a bit more?

It's amazing that conferences were able to last this long, before TV money tore them apart.

Not much longer ...

so FWIW - from the NLI official website: check out the last paragraph

The NCAA manages the daily operations of the NLI program while the Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA) provides governance oversight of the program.

The NLI is a voluntary program with regard to both institutions and student-athletes. No prospective student-athlete or parent is required to sign the NLI and no institution is required to join the program.
The NLI is a binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and an NLI member institution.

• A prospective student-athlete agrees to attend the institution full-time for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
  • The institution agrees to provide athletics financial aid for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
The penalty for not fulfilling the NLI agreement: A student-athlete has to serve one year in residence (full-time, two semesters or three quarters) at the next NLI member institution and lose one season of competition in all sports.
An important provision of the NLI program is a recruiting prohibition applied after a prospective student-athlete signs the NLI. This prohibition requires member institutions to cease recruitment of a prospective student-athlete once an NLI is signed with another institution.

I'm curious if this is true for programs like the Big 10 Network. It feels like a lot of their ratings were just taking all of the $$ from the local cable channels that used to get every Big 10 game.

RSIII was still a very good player who you would take every day of the week. He just wasn't as good as he could have been if he'd actually liked basketball.
he was a good player who was not as good as colton iverson but played more than colton iverson.

The penalty for not fulfilling the NLI agreement: A student-athlete has to serve one year in residence (full-time, two semesters or three quarters) at the next NLI member institution and lose one season of competition in all sports.
While the latter stipulation probably is the more important thing anyway, especially given that the NIL deal would more than cover the expenses, I don't see that first stipulation as restricting that "next institution" 's ability to pay for the school expenses with a full scholarship.

For whatever little it is worth

Quitter comes to mind.
That's cute. It's a business decision, where by the player makes the decision that is best for his future. No different than in any other business.

I align with you. I never think he will be an impactful player at the P5 level. He’s too raw and lean, and not bouncy to get around it. He gets blocks now, but he doesn’t dominate lower level competition. He won’t have that luxury in college. But either way, a prized recruit bailing kills.

I align with you. I never think he will be an impactful player at the P5 level. He’s too raw and lean, and not bouncy to get around it. He gets blocks now, but he doesn’t dominate lower level competition. He won’t have that luxury in college. But either way, a prized recruit bailing kills.
I think Evans would have been great long term here and not much help next year. Too frail and at 15 pts and 11 boards in HS it shows that he is not ready yet. The biggest loss is for Ben's selling pitch. He can no longer say that you get to play with one of the top 5 big guys in the country to the spring and fall recruits this year.

I don't reject your post. But I do think it is on the very far side of the spectrum.

Again -- I come back to NW this year. How, in the modern world of college basketball, is what they've done this season possible?? Shouldn't they be permanently mired down in the dregs of the low-NIL, major pro market, P5 schools??

It has to be possible, somehow.
They at least offer an elite name on the diploma. Players originally don’t pick northwestern to help them get to the NBA, or make it to the top of the B10. They do it as they get a world class education and still play in the B10 (thus same exposure).

Top Bottom