BREAKING!!!! Dennis Evans ask for release….

That's cute. It's a business decision, where by the player makes the decision that is best for his future. No different than in any other business.
I think this would hold a bit more water if he was just making his initial commitment now.

Rather than having signed an NLI in November ...

But we know you think that tampering with rosters is just "how it is now" and that we should be doing that too. I will never agree with that.

They at least offer an elite name on the diploma. Players originally don’t pick northwestern to help them get to the NBA, or make it to the top of the B10. They do it as they get a world class education and still play in the B10 (thus same exposure).
NW thanks and loves you for thinking of them like an Ivy or Stanford.

They're ..... not. They really aren't.

They're more like a Duke or Rice.

For some reason I have visions of Ralph Sampson III in my head with Dennis Evans. Tall, lanky, hyped like hell, not particularly fond of contact, never really turned into the player people thought he would be. Or maybe I'm just coping.
Was Sampson III hyped like hell? I find a Rivals rank of # 59 in the country.

I think this would hold a bit more water if he was just making his initial commitment now.

Rather than having signed an NLI in November ...

But we know you think that tampering with rosters is just "how it is now" and that we should be doing that too. I will never agree with that.
My guess is that with the way the "rules" are now, there is nothing from stopping an "independent business person" who happens to love a certain school....from reaching out to a kid like Evans and making an offer he can't refuse.

NW thanks and loves you for thinking of them like an Ivy or Stanford.

They're ..... not. They really aren't.

They're more like a Duke or Rice.
Well then…it’s still the best academic school in the biggest basketball conference in the Midwest…and it’s not even close. While it might not align to MIT or Stanford…it’s better than UofMN Iowa and Nebraska’s of the world

I don't accept that things are hopeless or that Minnesota can't win in the Big Ten. If those things are true, however, the season ticket holders deserve to be told that to their face by the AD.
The thing about ticket buyers and fans in general is that they don't need to be told to their faces by the AD or anyone else what the situation is. They make their own decisions and choices.

Either him or Medved would have skateboarded here backward on the shoulder of the Interstate to take this job.
That might be the problem. Skateboarding backwards neither one could get here in time to take the job. Can't blame Coyle for that.

Well then…it’s still the best academic school in the biggest basketball conference in the Midwest…and it’s not even close. While it might not align to MIT or Stanford…it’s better than UofMN Iowa and Nebraska’s of the world
Michigan is higher rated than NW. Wisc, ILL are I believe in the same ballpark with the U, OSU, PSU I think not too far behind.

Yes, better than Iowa and Nebraska.

I would like to think that that isn't how simple it is, but maybe it is that simple, in basketball.
Clearly a combination of both. Izzo is a proven great coach. Doesn't have the horses this year.

Ben has shown some skill as a coach last year, getting a lot of effort and disciplined play fron limited talent. And then inexplicably getting less effort and discipline this year from a bit more talent.

Defensive effort, discipline with the ball, and free throw shooting are all controlled by coaching.

Michigan is higher rated than NW. Wisc, ILL are I believe in the same ballpark with the U, OSU, PSU I think not too far behind.

Yes, better than Iowa and Nebraska.
This is just one ranking, but NW is ranked as the 14th best school in the US. The next BIG10 school is Michigan at 25.

https://www.niche.com/colleges/sear...lRUWUCbJvuORPmYybDH1slD2XUXyPpDMaAsWQEALw_wcB

https://www3.forbes.com/leadership/americas-top-50-colleges-2021-ifs-vue-mn-wnb/?slide=21 *forbes has NW as 10th best in the country (Michigan is the closest Big10 at 22)

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

Last edited:

I think you're assuming I'm one of those who thinks that the U should make him honor his commitment, regardless of whether it's a LOI or contract. I'm not. Evans wants out of his commitment. It doesn't really matter whether we were engaged or married - the end result is he's gone. Why make such a fuss about the difference when the end result is the same?
I would rather have Samuels return -- and play center -- than have a guy here who doesn't want to be here. Giving him his release is automatic.

So - Ryan James and Luke Buer did a "Talk Gopher Buckets" podcast about the Evans news.

Key points from Ryan James:
--when Evans made his official visit to MN, he didn't ask about NIL, but his AAU coach and "another family member" did ask about NIL
--Evans apparently decided to ask for a release of the Natl Letter of Intent in mid-January. He was not going to make it public until after the season, but someone found out and was going to report it, so Evans went public.
--Evans still has a good relationship with Ben Johnson and Coach Jenkins. James said Johnson is not the issue here.
--James - (in my words) strongly suggested that a lot of this is coming from the AAU Coach and other family members. James also suggested that the AAU Coach has been pushing for Jaden Henley to get more minutes with the Gophers.
--Luke Buer said that he didn't expect Henley to be back. James did not contradict him.

--at the end of the podcast, James said (quoting) that Evans "will be going to the highest bidder." and then he laughed.

the podcast also includes a discussion on point guard issues. a few amusing comments here.

and then - just to stir the pot - James was discussing what the team could look like next year. He mentioned a number of players. he did not mention Jamison Battle. maybe that was an oversight - or maybe not.

So - Ryan James and Luke Buer did a "Talk Gopher Buckets" podcast about the Evans news.

--when Evans made his official visit to MN, he didn't ask about NIL, but his AAU coach and "another family member" did ask about NIL
--Evans apparently decided to ask for a release of the Natl Letter of Intent in mid-January. He was not going to make it public until after the season, but someone found out and was going to report it, so Evans went public.
--Evans still has a good relationship with Ben Johnson and Coach Jenkins. James said Johnson is not the issue here.
--James - (in my words) strongly suggested that a lot of this is coming from the AAU Coach and other family members. James also suggested that the AAU Coach has been pushing for Jaden Henley to get more minutes with the Gophers.
--Luke Buer said that he didn't expect Henley to be back. James did not contradict him.

--at the end of the podcast, James said (quoting) that Evans "will be going to the highest bidder." and then he laughed.

the podcast also includes a discussion on point guard issues. a few amusing comments here.

and then - just to stir the pot - James was discussing what the team could look like next year. He mentioned a number of players. he did not mention Jamison Battle. maybe that was an oversight - or maybe not.
Thanks for posting. Interesting to see what we'll look like next year.

Personally the only guys that I think would be concerning to lose would be Payne or Garcia.

This is just one ranking, but NW is ranked as the 14th best school in the US. The next BIG10 school is Michigan at 25.

https://www.niche.com/colleges/sear...lRUWUCbJvuORPmYybDH1slD2XUXyPpDMaAsWQEALw_wcB

https://www3.forbes.com/leadership/americas-top-50-colleges-2021-ifs-vue-mn-wnb/?slide=21 *forbes has NW as 10th best in the country (Michigan is the closest Big10 at 22)

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities
Without nitpicking rankings, every school in the B1G is an excellent university, even if we hate their sports teams (looking east and south).

Well, except maybe Nebraska.

Sounds like a lot of the people surrounding this kid have their hands out...

I align with you. I never think he will be an impactful player at the P5 level. He’s too raw and lean, and not bouncy to get around it. He gets blocks now, but he doesn’t dominate lower level competition. He won’t have that luxury in college. But either way, a prized recruit bailing kills.
That's what many of the people here said about Longar Longar, but you know what, he turned into a pretty serviceable player and, IIRC, a starter on a NCAA team.

Wow. I hate what college basketball has become. Thanks for posting!

Explains all the oddball ‘Ben’s ok’ articles

Personally the only guys that I think would be concerning to lose would be Payne or Garcia.
Losing anything more than 1 or 2 guys that we wanted to keep would be a real bad sign.

Losing anything more than 1 or 2 guys that we wanted to keep would be a real bad sign.
Yes I suppose that's true. Henley has grown and will be a good player at some point.

All just seemingly starting to sink in that this is too much for Ben.

Kool-aid screwed us.

As frustrating as Henley is, this is exactly why a "ground up rebuild" will never work in 2023. You spend a year developing a raw player and they bolt. Portal recruiting is key.

You don't need 4 years to assess anymore. Two is enough in many cases. Iowa State hit a home run. Utah hit the home run we should have hit. We struck out. Time to try again.

That might be the problem. Skateboarding backwards neither one could get here in time to take the job. Can't blame Coyle for that.
They would have barrel-rolled cross country through cow pastures, then. Would that take less time?

I don’t think he was as frail
If I were more enterprising, I'd find the thread about Longar Longar...providing it occurred after the switchover. There was a pretty robust thread on whether he could play at this level.

As frustrating as Henley is, this is exactly why a "ground up rebuild" will never work in 2023. You spend a year developing a raw player and they bolt. Portal recruiting is key.

You don't need 4 years to assess anymore. Two is enough in many cases. Iowa State hit a home run. Utah hit the home run we should have hit. We struck out. Time to try again.
Coach still gets 8 million bucks. You can hear coach grinning when he speaks with Grimm.

We need to be concerned with losing any of the freshmen or Christie. It is unlikely we can replace any of them with better players from the portal.

Top Bottom