BREAKING!!!! Dennis Evans ask for release….

And I think Kermit is pretty highly regarded as a coach. A twofer. Who does he send packing?
Kermit will get a mid major head job. That said we need to fire someone and hire someone who has been a P5 coach before. We hired a whole staff of assistant coaches, that doesn't usually work. I think someone like Phil Martelli who did that at Michigan when Howard was hired would be the idea.

Seen this a lot. Is Ben's team trying to signal to schools that he and Evans are a package deal when he'll be searching for an assistant job this offseason?

I read this as Evans (or people around Evans) suggesting that Johnson is not the reason - or the main reason - why Evans backed out of the LOI with MN.

which to some people adds to the theory that it's NIL related.

Master plan: Ben coordinated with Evans to let him develop and take pay day with another program. Once we hit 2025, Evans will enter portal and join the Gophers for a conference title run 😎

Forgive me if this has already been asked (I haven't read all 22 pages of this thread....too depressing) but have we actually heard from Evans? Has he actually tweeted or given a statement to anyone publicly?

Isn't every winter crappy to a degree? I'd rather be here than Seattle.

Perhaps, but not to the same degree. To pretend that January and February here aren't much different than January and February in a host of other northern states like much of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York is simply wrong. People who visit here for the first time during the winter months are often quite shocked. They're not acclimated and they don't know how to dress for this sort of winter climate. As far as snow, some of those places certainly can get more snow than we do here, but at least much of theirs tends to melt where ours mostly just piles up for three months.

But, yes, I definitely would rather live here in the winter than live in a place where it rains and/or produces significant freezing rain during much of the winter.

Perhaps, but not to the same degree. To pretend that January and February here aren't much different than January and February in a host of other northern states like much of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York is simply wrong. People who visit here for the first time during the winter months are often quite shocked. They're not acclimated and they don't know how to dress for this sort of winter climate. As far as snow, some of those places certainly can get more snow than we do here, but at least much of theirs tends to melt where ours mostly just piles up for three months.

But, yes, I definitely would rather live here in the winter than live in a place where it rains and/or produces significant freezing rain during much of the winter.
I can attest to northern Ohio weather, it sucks. Cloudy most of the winter and it’s mostly a cold rain. Snow usually lasts maybe on week then we are back to brown and dreary.

I can attest to northern Ohio weather, it sucks. Cloudy most of the winter and it’s mostly a cold rain. Snow usually lasts maybe on week then we are back to brown and dreary.

You do get the lake effects in that part of the country and that produces its own sort of bad but that's easier for the uninitiated to handle than what you get in the upper midwest. Of course, the winter is also longer here than there. It's 38 degrees right now in Cleveland vs. 23 degrees in Minneapolis. Further downstate, it is 50 degrees in Columbus.

Last edited:

You do get the lake effects in that part of the country and that produces its own sort of bad but that's easier for the uninitiated to handle than what you get in the upper midwest.
I should have clarified, I live in NW Ohio, no lake effect here. Cleveland and points east yes.

Pieces are in place to be average? Like 10-10 in conference? No they're not. Not even close.
Another year of improvement for the freshmen, if Pharell takes another step, he's a starter and a solid contributer. Fox and Ihnen provide depth and some spark of the bench that was non existent this year. Ryan James says Cam Christie is in line for IL HS player of the year. and playing mostly PG for his team. Not saying he's a big ten pg, but maybe he can provide some shooting from the outside and some viable defensive pressure, and add a back up pg from the portal that can actually play, average big ten team is possible.

The injuries and rusty play by Battle have been a severe issue. It's possible for them to finish in the middle of the big ten next year.

I drove to Florida in mid January from Minneapolis, first time for me. I was shocked as you put it at how mild the winter is in other midwest states compared to MN. Weather was mid 30's with no snow on the ground at that time in Illinois, Indiana, and even Wisconsin had very light snow fall at a time we had 2 feet on the ground.

I drove to Florida in mid January from Minneapolis, first time for me. I was shocked as you put it at how mild the winter is in other midwest states compared to MN. Weather was mid 30's with no snow on the ground at that time in Illinois, Indiana, and even Wisconsin had very light snow fall at a time we had 2 feet on the ground.

I visited my hometown area (east-central PA) during early mid-January about five years ago. People asked me if it was as cold in Minnesota as it was there. I replied "This is like mid-March in Minnesota." I wore an army style jacket with a sweater underneath. Most of the time I walked around with my coat open because zipping it just didn't seem necessary. Parts of PA get more snow than we do here (Erie, PA gets way more snow!) but their snow melts and washes away frequently. Ours doesn't do that until March and sometimes not even then.

Forgive me if this has already been asked (I haven't read all 22 pages of this thread....too depressing) but have we actually heard from Evans? Has he actually tweeted or given a statement to anyone publicly?

I have not seen any direct quotes. I've seen stories quoting Evans indirectly - "sources close to the family say that......" but to the best of my knowledge, I haven't seen him make any type of public statement that I'm aware of.

in a nutshell, what's been said or reported is that Evans - or his family/advisors - decided in mid-January that MN was not the right fit. again, nothing direct, just some second-hand comments.

There's another angle to this. The Twin Cities are a tropical paradise compared to where I grew up (Detroit Lakes). When I say that to my national colleagues, they can't believe how anything can be colder than this. And don't even ask about Grand Forks and Winnipeg.

There's another angle to this. The Twin Cities are a tropical paradise compared to where I grew up (Detroit Lakes). When I say that to my national colleagues, they can't believe how anything can be colder than this. And don't even ask about Grand Forks and Winnipeg.
I mean, there aren't many places in the continental united states colder than Minneapolis. Once you've experienced -50 degree weather, there really isn't anywhere else to go from there.

I mean, there aren't many places in the continental united states colder than Minneapolis. Once you've experienced -50 degree weather, there really isn't anywhere else to go from there.

Once you get out of the continental US, though, the choices expand. For example, there is Yakutsk in Siberia. That city has an average December and January temperature of - 34 degrees F and a record low of -83.9 F. Amazingly, over 300,000 people live there. It was founded by Cossacks in the 17th century and they're a hardy breed.

Once you get out of the continental US, though, the choices expand. For example, there is Yakutsk in Siberia. That city has an average December and January temperature of - 34 degrees F and a record low of -83.9 F. Amazingly, over 300,000 people live there. It was founded by Cossacks in the 17th century and they're a hardy breed.
Are there schools there recruiting our guys?

I have not seen any direct quotes. I've seen stories quoting Evans indirectly - "sources close to the family say that......" but to the best of my knowledge, I haven't seen him make any type of public statement that I'm aware of.

in a nutshell, what's been said or reported is that Evans - or his family/advisors - decided in mid-January that MN was not the right fit. again, nothing direct, just some second-hand comments.
To quote George on Seinfeld; "It's not you, it's me." Evans being George.

Top Bottom