BREAKING!!!! Dennis Evans ask for release….

We need to be concerned with losing any of the freshmen or Christie. It is unlikely we can replace any of them with better players from the portal.
Yes I should rescind my comment. That would not be good for program stability.

I guess I was more just thinking the only players that are Big 10 capable for next year are Garcia and Payne IMO.

We're just in trouble.

I'd put the over/under for additional players leaving at 2.5 and bet the over. I think Henley is almost a given and Battle is at least 50/50 as is Thompson.

We'll be back to signing two portal players, giving one to Ramburg and sitting on one.

Yes I should rescind my comment. That would not be good for program stability.

I guess I was more just thinking the only players that are Big 10 capable for next year are Garcia and Payne IMO.

We're just in trouble.
Just in a lot of trouble sums it up. Our appeal to good portal players has fallen off the cliff.

If Ben is really good at judging potential from looking at tape, or exceedingly lucky, the best case is finding three under the radar portal guys who will take the chance here and somehow turn out to be productive Big Ten players.

I'd put the over/under for additional players leaving at 2.5 and bet the over. I think Henley is almost a given and Battle is at least 50/50 as is Thompson.

We'll be back to signing two portal players, giving one to Ramburg and sitting on one.
Henley's loss would be severe. Battle less so. Ramberg and Thomphson are both out to free up room for two guards and a post backup.

So - Ryan James and Luke Buer did a "Talk Gopher Buckets" podcast about the Evans news.

Key points from Ryan James:
--when Evans made his official visit to MN, he didn't ask about NIL, but his AAU coach and "another family member" did ask about NIL
--Evans apparently decided to ask for a release of the Natl Letter of Intent in mid-January. He was not going to make it public until after the season, but someone found out and was going to report it, so Evans went public.
--Evans still has a good relationship with Ben Johnson and Coach Jenkins. James said Johnson is not the issue here.
--James - (in my words) strongly suggested that a lot of this is coming from the AAU Coach and other family members. James also suggested that the AAU Coach has been pushing for Jaden Henley to get more minutes with the Gophers.
--Luke Buer said that he didn't expect Henley to be back. James did not contradict him.

--at the end of the podcast, James said (quoting) that Evans "will be going to the highest bidder." and then he laughed.

the podcast also includes a discussion on point guard issues. a few amusing comments here.

and then - just to stir the pot - James was discussing what the team could look like next year. He mentioned a number of players. he did not mention Jamison Battle. maybe that was an oversight - or maybe not.
How could he think Henley isn't getting enough minutes lmao welcome to hotel California

How could he think Henley isn't getting enough minutes lmao welcome to hotel California
Henley is getting more minutes than he probably should. He is totally out of control offensively, is always playing in a hurry leading to poor shots and turnovers, and is often out of position defensively. He has potential, but he isn't ready to see the minutes he is seeing.

We need to be concerned with losing any of the freshmen or Christie. It is unlikely we can replace any of them with better players from the portal.
I disagree with this. Of the 4 freshmen, we should only care of Payne and JOJ leave. Let carrington and Henley (per recent comments) leave. Carringtons productions is essentially nothing. Christie will play in front of him, but get starting guards…for Christ’s sake

I honestly don't know what the answer is at this point. Even a month ago I was still in the wait and see camp. But this news coupled with the absolute shitshows masquerading as D1 basketball games has me wondering long and hard if it is time to cut bait on this stretch hire.

Across the street at Mariucci, the men's hockey team wasn't a train wreck by any stretch of the imagination, but it was clear the coach got stale and the program was just kind of muddling along. Attendance was meh and apathy had started to set in. So when Lucia decided to step down, the school did not eff around. They went and got a top-notch coach from an in-state rival, where it also happened to be his alma matter, to lead this program. A guy with a proven track record of building a program into a perennial contender. I'd say that worked out pretty damn well. The fans have returned, the rink is hopping again and the product is stellar. So the blueprint was there. You could also lump football into that category, too.

I hope I'm dead wrong and CBJ is a miracle worker. But this is getting really hard to watch. Can't be a lot of fun for the players, either.
Hockey did a great job. But the Minnesota hockey job is like the Alabama football job or a blueblood college basketball job. Easier to attract excellence.

I disagree with this. Of the 4 freshmen, we should only care of Payne and JOJ leave. Let carrington and Henley (per recent comments) leave. Carringtons productions is essentially nothing. Christie will play in front of him, but get starting guards…for Christ’s sake
That's crazy. We are not going to be able to run out and get a bunch of players good enough where we wouldn't need Henley or Carrington at all. I think Christie is a potential starter but you need 8-9 guys or more and Henley and Carrington as sophomores are at a minimum- solid depth.

Last edited:

Henley is getting more minutes than he probably should. He is totally out of control offensively, is always playing in a hurry leading to poor shots and turnovers, and is often out of position defensively. He has potential, but he isn't ready to see the minutes he is seeing.
Last 5 games for Henley averages:

8 points 4.6 boards. 2.6 assists 2 turnovers steal in 30 minutes

Not off the charts but not bad for a frosh. He is getting better

Still way too out of control. It would serve him well to be playing fewer minutes than he is, to be sat down when he makes some of the dumb mistakes and be coached immediately about the mistake he made.

A lot of kids get bad advice from these leeches. Henley has a great opportunity here.

Henley will never be an average or better B10 player. He just doesn't have the physical or mental skills to succeed at this level. Hope he does transfer

Battle and Henley leaving would be a blessing.

Last edited:

And he's out of here.

Is it possible that Christie may not have access to BTN and maybe he hasn't seen how bad this team is? Perhaps he'll still show up?

Is it possible that Christie may not have access to BTN and maybe he hasn't seen how bad this team is? Perhaps he'll still show up?
He lives in Illinois and Evans in CA, so that's unlikely. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he bailed though asking out of NLI is still pretty rare despite yesterday .

Updated averages of last 6 games: 29.8 minutes, 8.7 pts, 3.2 rbs, 2.3 ast, 1.2 stl

If he leaves here, it won't be because of playing time. I can't imagine him getting the minutes at the overwhelming majority of P6 teams that he's getting here right now.

Top Bottom