BREAKING!!!! Dennis Evans ask for release….

At least the bozos don't have to pretend it's not about money when he goes to a worse team and a place he's never visited.
Yeah, we're the bozos.

Not the guy who said we would no glaring issues at wing during the offseason. Not the guy who argued that we wouldn't be historically bad.

Keep digging in.

If it was only or primarily about $$ he would have committed to TCU. They were offering $$ too. Supposedly he had a Kansas offer as well and surely that came with $$.
Explain crystal balls to Louisville LOL

He's never stepped foot on campus and he's not even supposed to be in contact with any team.

He's never stepped foot on campus and he's not even supposed to be in contact with any team.
It's both. If things were going super well, it would have been tougher for someone to convince Evans based on pure cash. I think he's getting cash, but I also think common sense says he also got scared of what he was seeing and what it might do to his future prospects for cash here.

If we are successful- money will flow here. The players know that.

Now that Evans has decommitted, I guess I can say this because I didn't want to before...

I would bet money on him having Marfan's Syndrome, which has all sorts of medical concerns with playing basketball.

Now that Evans has decommitted, I guess I can say this because I didn't want to before...

I would bet money on him having Marfan's Syndrome, which has all sorts of medical concerns with playing basketball.
Explain Marfan's Syndrome. Thanks. I'll hang up and listen.

Exactly. Money talks and bull**** walks. It's always been that way in college sports to some extent, but it's all out in the open now. The NCAA has been broken now to the point where there's going to be no enforcement of tampering. Either play the recruiting/transfer/NIL game the way the big boys do, or expect to keep being a basement dwelling joke.

The naivety of people saying "do it the right way" or "waah, he COMMITTED" is mind numbing.
I don't reject your post. But I do think it is on the very far side of the spectrum.

Again -- I come back to NW this year. How, in the modern world of college basketball, is what they've done this season possible?? Shouldn't they be permanently mired down in the dregs of the low-NIL, major pro market, P5 schools??

It has to be possible, somehow.

I don't reject your post. But I do think it is on the very far side of the spectrum.

Again -- I come back to NW this year. How, in the modern world of college basketball, is what they've done this season possible?? Shouldn't they be permanently mired down in the dregs of the low-NIL, major pro market, P5 schools??

It has to be possible, somehow.
It's a fair question, but I think it will become more clear as time goes on. The Cats have struck lightning in a bottle by their standards through conscious decisions to take lumps, play guys not ready to play, getting transfers, and most of all having the key guys in the resurgence stay on the roster. The question is whether they can sustain it. Getting guys to stay in a losing situation is harder now than ever. Collins deserves props for keeping Bouie, Audige, etc to stick around. I'm not sure this season changes the trajectory of the program long-term, though.

Burns is saying the huge driving for here is NIL money.

He is going to get paid very well.
Could be true.

But I find it very, very, very hard to believe that the money wasn't there before, when he signed the NLI.

Unless he just did some really incredible things during his senior season that suddenly opened everyone's eyes?

It's a fair question, but I think it will become more clear as time goes on. The Cats have struck lightning in a bottle by their standards through conscious decisions to take lumps, play guys not ready to play, getting transfers, and most of all having the key guys in the resurgence stay on the roster. The question is whether they can sustain it. Getting guys to stay in a losing situation is harder now than ever. Collins deserves props for keeping Bouie, Audige, etc to stick around. I'm not sure this season changes the trajectory of the program long-term, though.
Thanks for the solid post.

I think we've seen, and not just in men's basketball but also in football, that there is a small cabal at the very top who do not want company. It is, and has been, extremely difficult, if not essentially impossible, for any school not already in "the club" to maintain high-level success.

The problem of fair talent distribution is by far and wide the issue preventing (more) parity in major college sports, and those at the top like it that way.

Could be true.

But I find it very, very, very hard to believe that the money wasn't there before, when he signed the NLI.

Unless he just did some really incredible things during his senior season that suddenly opened everyone's eyes?
He was a late bloomer and by today's standards under the radar for multiple reasons, including California lockdown policies that made it difficult for guys out there to be seen in typical recruiting environments. There are plenty of teams willing to take a guy like that, but not many calling him a savior (I don't think anyone here did but he was symbolically important as a highly rated recruit), and I am convinced he has money somewhere else and plenty of other reasons to want out.

Thanks for the solid post.

I think we've seen, and not just in men's basketball but also in football, that there is a small cabal at the very top who do not want company. It is, and has been, extremely difficult, if not essentially impossible, for any school not already in "the club" to maintain high-level success.

The problem of fair talent distribution is by far and wide the issue preventing (more) parity in major college sports, and those at the top like it that way.
Basketball has a better shot than football though. Which is one reason I still pay attention to the Gophers and college basketball in general.

Basketball has a better shot than football though. Which is one reason I still pay attention to the Gophers and college basketball in general.
A better shot to have a run in March Madness one season -- unquestionably. We see it time and again, particularly with small schools who become darlings in the media and with fans.

But your point was about sustained success. I'm not sure bball is better odds than football in that sense, but it still may hold.

He will get immediate PT with a program that will likely be good sooner than we will. He also probably got paid.

That said, if we were just "run of the mill" awful, he probably doesn't look around. That $$$ was always available to him, why is it more appealing to him now?

Would the 7 footer from Cali have been as good as Ralph Sampson III?
The pieces are in place to be an average Big Ten Team next year. just get healthy and get a legit back up pg for Talon.

Lets stop pretending that Cali 7 footer would have saved everything, bigs take time to develop.

(2) If the U chooses NOT to release him from his commitment, he can still use the portal to leave. We are well within our rights to not grant his release thus forcing him his freebee portal pass to go to the school he chooses to attend. The letter of intent and portal are both creatures of the NCAA.
He wouldn't be forced to transfer.

He would never enroll here in the first place. He would just enroll at the school he wants to go to, and then just have to be a redshirt there for 23-24. Transfer intact

Top Bottom