BREAKING!!!! Dennis Evans ask for release….

Not sure if this has been said, but Evans wanting to leave is clear evidence of tampering by 3rd parties. It reveals the entire debacle that is NIL and open portal movent. It also is a display by Dennis Evans that he is a person who reneges on his commitment. It speaks adversely to his parents who are responsible to teach their son to make choices and keep those commitments. This also speaks to this generation of young people who want an easy path in life without struggling through adversity. To say I'm disappointed in Dennis Evans is an understatement.
Or maybe Ben told him he was building something at Minnesota, and that they would be better this year, and that the style of play would X but its actually, well who knows what it actually is, and that the team was a family, and they were all happy and having a good time, that by the time he joined they would have good guards in place. Then he watched the product and saw that it was all salesman BS. Honestly who in there right mind wants to take their valuable eligibility and join this dumpster fire? If you have aspirations of an NBA career, who looks at what is on the court and believes this staff is going to prepare you for the NBA?

This kid has only a few years of his life to make a go at his dreams, why would he blow that because of some smoke and mirrors sales job?

Is there a college basketball coach who runs a halfway house for failed P5 coaches similar to what Saban does for college football? Ben Johnson should go there and rehabilitate his career because I fear this is currently a lost cause.

I don't think Johnson is a bad coach, this was just the wrong place and the wrong time for his first head coaching gig. He's lost all momentum and it's not going to come back.

With the transfer portal, NIL and Covid, Coyle picked the worst possible time to take a gamble on an unproven coach. He bet the house on even and the ball landed on odd. Time to leave the table.
He could interview at Montana State?

He said by watching the games this year he didn't know if he would be a good fit? What? He didn't see that having a rim protector would help this team? Whatever. I was excited to see him here, but his frame and the fact he wasn't dominating in high school had me a little worried about being in big ten. We move on!
Its because they don't focus on getting the ball into the post. He can be a rim protector in any program, but only some programs focus on getting the ball into the post, so go to a place that will give you the ball and protect the rim.

Its because they don't focus on getting the ball into the post. He can be a rim protector in any program, but only some programs focus on getting the ball into the post, so go to a place that will give you the ball and protect the rim.
He will get pushed out to 10-15 feet away from The hoop in most conferences in college.

This.

And I’m personally not even asking for like a “tourney every year” type of coach- though that’d be nice.

Just some competency. Building a roster that makes sense and some semblance of a team identity.

He’s not going to make the tourney next year. So fire him and try with someone else.
I agree with moving on 100%. Unfortunately there is no possible way this admin. fires a local black man after two years when you have a local white woman who has been in the same position longer and is every bit as putrid as her counter part. You have to fire her before you fire him!!!!

Yeah, he did. He did so at a point where he had no idea just how big of a hole this program was in. He know knows and made the best decision for himself. I can’t fault him for that. I’m not going to ignore what this administration and CBJ have done to this program and blame a kid that wants to be part of a program that isn’t a complete dumpster fire.
You gotta figure this was a tough decision for him and his parents and that they probably even agonized over it. Especially with the good relationship he has with Johnson, which nobody doubts. No one wants to be "that guy" who backs out of a LOI. But I think we can all put ourselves in his position and understand. You only get one life and one college career.

Your love for TT is a bit disturbing. 😅
I don't like it when people attack players who are in the doghouse of the coach they're trying to defend, I'll tell you that right now. Don't attack the players. We'll need as many of them going forward as who want to stay and help out.

If only the two possible scenarios were doing nothing and a decent hire. There is a third, most likely, possibility.

There is no decent hire who will take the Minnesota job.

That makes the choices doing nothing or rolling the dice again on an unproven coach.
I don't accept that things are hopeless or that Minnesota can't win in the Big Ten. If those things are true, however, the season ticket holders deserve to be told that to their face by the AD.

Crystal Ball to Louisville supposedly. They are worse than MN. Maybe we dodged one here.
Yeah those of you who are surmising that he wanted out because Minnesota is a bad team - here’s your evidence that it’s not that. Hard not to think it’s $$$$.

But the dodging thing - the fact the blue bloods weren’t going after such a highly rated player is a red flag. Heck, agreeing to come to Minnesota was a red flag.

Yeah those of you who are surmising that he wanted out because Minnesota is a bad team - here’s your evidence that it’s not that. Hard not to think it’s $$$$.

But the dodging thing - the fact the blue bloods weren’t going after such a highly rated player is a red flag. Heck, agreeing to come to Minnesota was a red flag.
He’s raw and his evaluations are all over the place. We’ll see how it goes. Still will have his 1 free transfer.

Keep JOJ and PP. Get 2 quick guards that can shoot and play D. Our forwards will sort themselves out. We can be pretty good next year. Looking at season tickets for next year. Would be worth the trip a couple times a month. We need better Gopher athletic supporters. We need NIL $$$. Do wish Evans would have stayed. Curious as to who bought him.
Unfortunately, regardless now of what happens in the off season, the fans are going to bail, and the building will be more dead next year. This becomes increasingly difficult to revive. This is like the campfire you try to keep going, but there's no way to do it without additional fuel.

They said he wanted to fish.... turns out there's fish everywhere.

A letter of intent is not a contract. Again.
You keep saying this, but the difference is really just a technicality, isn’t it? An LOI is a form of commitment - maybe easier to back out of than a contract, but still a commitment. And he’s backing out.

You understand that Louisville is possibly worse than Minnesota, right? Go look up how they’re doing.
Now we compare ourselves with blue bloods? The goal posts are constantly changing in these arguements.

Do we think that MN is close to the program of Louisville even in a down year? 🤔
Fair point. But Evans appears to be choosing another team needing to turn things around completely vs. joining a team who’s already turned it.

If it was only or primarily about $$ he would have committed to TCU. They were offering $$ too. Supposedly he had a Kansas offer as well and surely that came with $$.
Yeah, the "it must've been money because who could possibly doubt the direction of this program" argument doesn't hold much water.

You keep saying this, but the difference is really just a technicality, isn’t it? An LOI is a form of commitment - maybe easier to back out of than a contract, but still a commitment. And he’s backing out.
I keep saying it because it's true. Keep in mind, letters of intent are used all of the time in the ordinary course of business as well.

Is it a commitment? Sure. We all make commitments that are not contracts.

It's not really any easier for him to back out of in this circumstance.

(1) The U can certainly choose to not release him from his commitment. This is just like a contract. People can mutually agree to dissolve a contractual relationship, they do it all the time.

(2) If the U chooses NOT to release him from his commitment, he can still use the portal to leave. We are well within our rights to not grant his release thus forcing him his freebee portal pass to go to the school he chooses to attend. The letter of intent and portal are both creatures of the NCAA.

• The question is - - what would we gain by holding him to the LOI? We wouldn't ever get him to play for the U. We would get a reputation as a program that was spiteful. Maybe there are gains that I'm missing, but I can't think of a single good thing that comes out of us not allowing him out of the commitment

At the end of the day, even an enforceable contract would not really help anyone in this situation. Look at all the players in the NBA who force their way to other destinations? At the end of the day, it's HORRIBLE for business to try to force someone to work with you.

Top Bottom