All Things 2021 NCAA College Basketball March Madness Tournament Thread

Personally I think if you have to lose a huge game, that's probably one of the best ways to lose one. You pretty much did your job and an opponent hit a once in a blue moon shot. You don't have anything to feel bad about.

Actually, the moment to feel bad about was that offensive foul right before time expired in regulation. If Juzang slipped the ball to Riley standing on the side of the basket instead of going into Timme, UCLA might have won the game in regulation. The defenders' eyes were on Juzang and nobody was in particularly good position to defend Riley.

That's the first game where I really watched Gonzaga this season. Timme was outstanding; the player of the game for them despite Suggs' game winning heroics.
That’s a good point. I think part of it for me is I didn’t want to see it end. Wanted another OT.

The Zags are a very good team. They have almost lived up to the hype from the national media. I think Baylor is going to win the championship.

They probably wouldn't be undefeated if they played in a top conference but my guess is that they wouldn't have more than one or two losses. I think they belong among the best teams of this century.
Agree. If you put Gonzaga into a tougher conference they would still be really really good but they wouldn't be undefeated. They benefit a lot from a lighter schedule where they can coast by many of the teams in their league with minimal effort.

Would be much different if they were in a conference like the BIG where almost every game is a battle. The wear and tear would lead to a few loses along the way.

Really looking forward to Gonzaga vs. Baylor. Baylor has the fire power to hang with them and they certainly don't look as invincible after what UCLA was able to do to them last night.

From what I saw, I'm not a Mick Cronin fan.

Angry, angry little bald man. Nearly every play he was shaking up and down screaming at something. Either the refs, or seemed (too) often his own players.

Does not seem like a fun coach to play for. Winning is winning, no doubt, and you're not there to get coddled. But sometimes it is too much.
He is genuine. He coaches to his personality much like Izzo, Coach K
and many others with similar styles.

Coaches spend a LOT of time with their players. Players know how much they care about them.

You can’t see a much better coaching performance than Cronin in this tournament.

Coaches spend a LOT of time with their players. Players know how much they care about them.

You can’t see a much better coaching performance than Cronin in this tournament.
Great post.

Reactions: sal

I thought the same thing. Sure it was banked in, but it was a nice, clean stroke. Reminds me of Voshon Lenard's 35-footer to beat Detroit Mercy his freshman year. He stopped, rose, stroked it, swished it. Looked like just another shot!
Another great & clutch Voshon shot was the end-of-regulation three point game-tier in the 1995 Iowa home game—now that was a heave...

Last night was a prime example of how the Zags are way over rated. They are a good team, but they would never be undefeated if they played in a real conference. Suggs‘s fullback style 3 step run to the basket would have been traveling and his miraculous block through the hand of a shooter a foul in any away game in the Pac12 or B1G.

It was a very good game, but stop calling the Zags the best team ever....
I enjoy watching Gonzaga play: great coaching; beautiful spacing on offense; shot-making; seemingly nice kids. The 1975-1976 Indiana team would control the game with their physical defense. And, speaking of the Big Ten: Timme would have struggled against Kent Benson; Mychal Thompson; Phil Hubbard etc.

Last night was a prime example of how the Zags are way over rated. They are a good team, but they would never be undefeated if they played in a real conference. Suggs‘s fullback style 3 step run to the basket would have been traveling and his miraculous block through the hand of a shooter a foul in any away game in the Pac12 or B1G.

It was a very good game, but stop calling the Zags the best team ever....
A win in a national semifinal game is evidence that a team is over rated? It is amazing the mental gymnastics people do to try to diminish Gonzaga's success, and I can't figure out the motivation for it. A team makes a run to the national championship game, and you don't think they could hack it in a conference that could not get a single team to the Final Four (despite having 9 teams in the tournament)?

I’m sure you’re more correct than me, about him.

I hate screamers/yellers, and I look down upon them as coaches.

I’m sure you’re more correct than me, about him.

I hate screamers/yellers, and I look down upon them as coaches.
Cronin was on the Dan Patrick show last week. He seemed very personable, good sense of humor and self deprecating. I'm a fan.

Cronin was on the Dan Patrick show last week. He seemed very personable, good sense of humor and self deprecating. I'm a fan.
Not unusual for screamer coaches to be regular, personable folks off the field/court. They all have "recruiting mode".

I'm talking about his behavior courtside, and who knows what we don't see in practices.

I, personally, don't respond well to coaches, bosses, leaders, ect. who are overly excitable, do a lot of yelling and screaming. But I know a lot of people who respond very positively to that kind of personality in a game/work situation. Had a long conversation with a college buddy about that one night and his main point is that, in his mind, emotional shows you care. Calm shows you don't. I don't believe that, but it turns out many people do.

I, personally, don't respond well to coaches, bosses, leaders, ect. who are overly excitable, do a lot of yelling and screaming. But I know a lot of people who respond very positively to that kind of personality in a game/work situation. Had a long conversation with a college buddy about that one night and his main point is that, in his mind, emotional shows you care. Calm shows you don't. I don't believe that, but it turns out many people do.
I'm the same as you Chico and I feel anyone that resorts to yelling in my particular professional career field is not cut out for the field. I also don't equate calm with not caring--I find that statement rather ridiculous, apologies to your friend.

That being said, show me a NCAA basketball coach who doesn't yell. Google any coaches name + yelling and you'll find images of said coach yelling or appearing to yell, some more than others. I have a friend who's a coach, at a lower level than D-1 and with much, much smaller crowds in the stands-by nature, he's not a yeller, but in trying to communicate to his players throughout the game, often from a great distance, he yells-in those moments, there's no other way. If you take photos or videos in those moments it's not very representative of him as a person nor who he is during practice/personal communication with his players.

Here we go.

Liked the first responders national anthem - they should keep that and other venues should add it as well.

in the latest mock draft on NBA draft.net, 4 Zags are listed in top 41 picks (3 in the first round) -

Suggs #3 - Wolves need to take him IMO and trade D'Lo
Kispert #9
Ayal # 27
Timm #41

in the latest mock draft on NBA draft.net, 4 Zags are listed in top 41 picks (3 in the first round) -

Kispert #9
Ayal # 27
Timm #41

Much rather have Cunningham or Mobley.

Kispert #9
Ayal # 27
Timm #41
Timme’s footwork in the offensive post is some of the best I’ve seen in college in a while.

Oof. Baylor defense showed up big time. You can tell Gonzaga is flustered being down so big.

Kispert #9
Ayal # 27
Timm #41
Suggs is Jason Kidd.

Top Bottom