All Things 2021 NCAA College Basketball March Madness Tournament Thread

Hard to quarrel with Suggs or Tyus Jones decisions but some day—hopefully soon—a game changing Minnesotan will stay home & bring glory to Gopher basketball and be revered as “the one” for all time throughout the state & region...
There will be a prized guard that stays home someday but it may never happen again to have one as great as Suggs.

Way bigger stage than if he had played here. Fantastic choice to not pick Pitino.
Right. Could you imagine a kid playing for their home state, on a mediocre to bad team, becoming the #1 overall pick in the NBA Draft and then going on to win NBA Rookie Of The Year? What an impossible pipe dream.

Hard to quarrel with Suggs or Tyus Jones decisions but some day—hopefully soon—a game changing Minnesotan will stay home & bring glory to Gopher basketball and be revered as “the one” for all time throughout the state & region...
Chet Holmgren.... this means you. ;)

A little reminder for those who may not remember and say the Gophers could never get the blue chip basketball players to stay home....I think this was from the day after he committed to Gonzaga.

Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 4.54.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 4.55.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 4.55.19 AM.png

Right. Could you imagine a kid playing for their home state, on a mediocre to bad team, becoming the #1 overall pick in the NBA Draft and then going on to win NBA Rookie Of The Year? What an impossible pipe dream.
Sure. Just could not have been Suggs because he wanted to win and thus could not have played for Pitino as he did not see last night happening under Pitino. Many of these kids and their families were sure he was inferior to his peers.

Way bigger stage than if he had played here. Fantastic choice to not pick Pitino.
It was an astute choice. Great coach, of course, but recognizing they have a fantastic roster, and he completes it.

Last night was a prime example of how the Zags are way over rated. They are a good team, but they would never be undefeated if they played in a real conference. Suggs‘s fullback style 3 step run to the basket would have been traveling and his miraculous block through the hand of a shooter a foul in any away game in the Pac12 or B1G.

It was a very good game, but stop calling the Zags the best team ever....

Last night was a prime example of how the Zags are way over rated. They are a good team, but they would never be undefeated if they played in a real conference. Suggs‘s fullback style 3 step run to the basket would have been traveling and his miraculous block through the hand of a shooter a foul in any away game in the Pac12 or B1G.

It was a very good game, but stop calling the Zags the best team ever....
I don't know how many people are going to call them one of the best ever, but if they get through and win it all, they're a deserving champion. I mean, that's why we have a championship tournament. Even the most dominant teams only have a 25-30 percent chance of winning these six in a row. Anybody who does that is a great team.

Last night was a prime example of how the Zags are way over rated. They are a good team, but they would never be undefeated if they played in a real conference.

They probably wouldn't be undefeated if they played in a top conference but my guess is that they wouldn't have more than one or two losses. I think they belong among the best teams of this century.

I know I’m in the minority but I hate when a classic ends like that on a lucky shot. What a terrible way for UCLA to lose. Fun game though.

Personally I think if you have to lose a huge game, that's probably one of the best ways to lose one. You pretty much did your job and an opponent hit a once in a blue moon shot. You don't have anything to feel bad about.

Actually, the moment to feel bad about was that offensive foul right before time expired in regulation. If Juzang slipped the ball to Riley standing on the side of the basket instead of going into Timme, UCLA might have won the game in regulation. The defenders' eyes were on Juzang and nobody was in particularly good position to defend Riley.

That's the first game where I really watched Gonzaga this season. Timme was outstanding; the player of the game for them despite Suggs' game winning heroics.

Last edited:

They probably wouldn't be undefeated if they played in a top conference but my guess is that they wouldn't have more than one or two losses. I think they belong among the best teams of this century.
Maybe 1 or 2 losses, but Gonzaga is 12-0 vs. ranked opponents. The WCC isn’t the greatest, but they played a tough non conference schedule and beat a good BYU team three times.

Neither are Jay Wright
Ranking coaches has opinions all over the place. Our bias plays a part, the way we value accomplishments, previous history at the school and on and on.
Maybe 1 or 2 losses, but Gonzaga is 12-0 vs. ranked opponents. The WCC isn’t the greatest, but they played a tough non conference schedule and beat a good BYU team three times.
Agree ! 12 ranked teams and almost all of them blow out wins. Not best ever but surely great. They are great even if they do not finish it. Viewed a lot better if they win it all.

This is important, and I do believe he's genuine. There's no reason this program can't become a place where talented kids want to compete.
Agree and I believe Ben will create a identity and recruit to that and keep enough of the really good players home but he will not hesitate to take them from anywhere. I will believe it until it is not true and we will not wait 8 years to find out. Wins and losses will not matter to me the first two years but what will matter is building that identity of something we are known for.

I checked out their roster this morning. They have 9 top 100 guys on the roster, same as Duke and one more than Kentucky, so even just on the basis of recruiting rankings, they're as good as anyone in the country. It goes without saying that they've done more with that talent than the others.

Maybe even the millennium!

Not sure where you are getting 12 ranked wins. I count 7. Kansas, West Virginia, Iowa, UVA, BYU (3rd time only), Creighton and USC.

I checked out their roster this morning. They have 9 top 100 guys on the roster, same as Duke and one more than Kentucky, so even just on the basis of recruiting rankings, they're as good as anyone in the country. It goes without saying that they've done more with that talent than the others.
How did Duke and Kentucky do in the tourney this year?

From what I saw, I'm not a Mick Cronin fan.

Angry, angry little bald man. Nearly every play he was shaking up and down screaming at something. Either the refs, or seemed (too) often his own players.

Does not seem like a fun coach to play for. Winning is winning, no doubt, and you're not there to get coddled. But sometimes it is too much.

Top Bottom