2020-2021 College Basketball Other Games Thread

No question who the more talented team is. Big question with Smith is can he bring in a higher level of talent. No doubt he can coach the game.

I'm impressed by CSU so far.
Agree, Smith is the “best coach” of the two. Your question is valid on can he bring higher talent. One thing is very clear though, both are better in game coaches than Pitino.

Pitino IMO was a likable guy, in-spite of his father so to that I give him credit. I genuinely like him.

I think he’s a good “game planner” but horrible in game adjustment coach. (What does that mean?) he would be a really great assistant coach. We need a guy who can make in game strategic adjustments.

I have no doubt whomever Coyle hires will be a better “coach.” The question is will they be able to upgrade or bring in the same talent?

Tip slam with about three seconds remaining gives Colorado the win over USC. 72-70. McKinley Wright had a great game. 9-16 from the field. 4-6 from three. 24 points to go along with 5 rebounds and 4 assists. Going to the PAC-12 Championship vs. Oregon State.

Go Buffaloes!

No question who the more talented team is. Big question with Smith is can he bring in a higher level of talent. No doubt he can coach the game.

I'm impressed by CSU so far.

Smith had a pretty good rep as a recruiter at Nebraska. He seems pretty personable, ton of energy, and can sell his resume of "Hey, I've won the conference everywhere I've been as a HC".

Utah State and Colorado State was interesting. Queta (Utah State's Center) is a cheat code at the level and that was especially true tonight. He was credited with 9 blocks and it honestly felt like more. He impacts the offensive end too as CSU had to go zone because they didn't have a matchup for him.

Utah State wasn't as impressive on either end of the floor as they were in there last game, but they held Colorado State to 50 points and lead by as many as 16 in what was close to a must win game for Smith and crew. I wanted to see Smith do at Utah State with his own guys and not with the best player in the conference he inherited (Merrill) and he's now doing that. That's clearly a very well coached team and Smith just does nothing but put W's on the board. I wouldn't be suprised at all if he wins the conference tournament again.

This was a bad game for Niko's resume, and might be fatal to his candidacy for the Gopher job if it ends up keeping them out of the NCAA's. There is a lot to like with Niko/Colorado State too. All of the guys playing for CSU are Niko's guys and none of them look like a miss. Arguably his two best guys are sophomore's and the direction on that program is cleary heading up. Also, he's got guys on that CSU roster from Minnesota and Illinois so he's recruiting the B1G footprint much more than Smith. Smith is playing at least one or two guys that went on LDS missions and are like 5-6 years older than guys in Nikos rotation and again Queta (who Smith recruited) was such a difference maker in this game. I'd compare CSU's trajectory to that of Purdue in the B1G this year as it's hard to imagine them not taking a step forward next year while Utah State (Queta likely going pro) and San Diego State (losing a number of Seniors) take a step back.

Utah State and Colorado State was interesting. Queta (Utah State's Center) is a cheat code at the level and that was especially true tonight. He was credited with 9 blocks and it honestly felt like more. He impacts the offensive end too as CSU had to go zone because they didn't have a matchup for him.

Utah State wasn't as impressive on either end of the floor as they were in there last game, but they held Colorado State to 50 points and lead by as many as 16 in what was close to a must win game for Smith and crew. I wanted to see Smith do at Utah State with his own guys and not with the best player in the conference he inherited (Merrill) and he's now doing that. That's clearly a very well coached team and Smith just does nothing but put W's on the board. I wouldn't be suprised at all if he wins the conference tournament again.

This was a bad game for Niko's resume, and might be fatal to his candidacy for the Gopher job if it ends up keeping them out of the NCAA's. There is a lot to like with Niko/Colorado State too. All of the guys playing for CSU are Niko's guys and none of them look like a miss. Arguably his two best guys are sophomore's and the direction on that program is cleary heading up. Also, he's got guys on that CSU roster from Minnesota and Illinois so he's recruiting the B1G footprint much more than Smith. Smith is playing at least one or two guys that went on LDS missions and are like 5-6 years older than guys in Nikos rotation and again Queta (who Smith recruited) was such a difference maker in this game. I'd compare CSU's trajectory to that of Purdue in the B1G this year as it's hard to imagine them not taking a step forward next year while Utah State (Queta likely going pro) and San Diego State (losing a number of Seniors) take a step back.
Good analysis, as always.

I tend to align with your concern about Smith, namely can he reel in big fish in recruiting? I agree that CSU has more overall talent, and USU beat them anyway, but you have to ask why USU has less talent to start with. Is it Logan, or is there something missing with Smith's or his staff's abilities or approach? That said and as others have noted, he's got a great personality, and his love of the game oozes out of his pores, so he ought to be able to connect with young basketball players.

No matter: I'm a Smith guy; I've seen enough. I'd pay good money to watch that brand of basketball on a regular basis...and I WILL be doing that if the U hires him. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I want my team to make their free throws, rebound the ball, and make the other team make difficult shots. That's what I see when I watch Aggie basketball. Like the best in any business, Smith has learned a lot from everyone he's been around and worked with, and he's formulated his own approaches as well. And he does it in a positive, nurturing way that challenges his players but doesn't beat them down.

Back to recruiting, and back to another thing I've said many times: the formula for programs like Minnesota--like our neighbors to the east and south--is to be a well-coached team that makes the most of their roster and develops players to their potential. Whatever people say about Fran, listen to Luka Garza talk about how he went from a heralded (4*) but not elite recruit to the top scorer in program history. His story and experience will get Iowa more players like him. That's how it's done. That's why they probably have the inside track for Eli King. That's how UW has developed their Lakeville North pipeline, who will keep pumping out more good players for them unless and until Minnesota shows they can coach and develop. There's no way top-5 recruit Joel Pryzbilla signs with the Gophers if Clem hadn't shown that he can get players to the next level and make deep postseason runs.

Build a solid foundation, and the players will come. A P5 job gets you into living rooms that you'd never get invited into otherwise. Look at the players on Iowa's roster and tell me the Gophers can't assemble that same caliber of squad with our resources and quality of institution. And that's a legitimate top-10 team who I wouldn't be surprised to see in the Final Four. That's why I'm glad for their and Wisconsin's successes: otherwise the loser conventional wisdom around here would perpetually be how everything is impossible so we should just give up.

Hire the guy with the best idea of how to evaluate fit to what they do, the guy with great gifts to teach, the guy with great character, the defensive toughness guy. Probably does not draw a big press following or reach for fans ideas of star ratings. There are 2-3 guys on our radar that fit that.

Very good write up, thank you. I obviously (lol!) did not stay up to watch this game.

Agree that Niko needed to win this game (and then maybe the conf title) to become the Gopher front-runner.

Instead, it looks like maybe the actual winner of the title game becomes that?

I'm all in on Smith. Again.

Good analysis, as always.

I tend to align with your concern about Smith, namely can he reel in big fish in recruiting? I agree that CSU has more overall talent, and USU beat them anyway, but you have to ask why USU has less talent to start with. Is it Logan, or is there something missing with Smith's or his staff's abilities or approach? That said and as others have noted, he's got a great personality, and his love of the game oozes out of his pores, so he ought to be able to connect with young basketball players.

No matter: I'm a Smith guy; I've seen enough. I'd pay good money to watch that brand of basketball on a regular basis...and I WILL be doing that if the U hires him. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I want my team to make their free throws, rebound the ball, and make the other team make difficult shots. That's what I see when I watch Aggie basketball. Like the best in any business, Smith has learned a lot from everyone he's been around and worked with, and he's formulated his own approaches as well. And he does it in a positive, nurturing way that challenges his players but doesn't beat them down.

Back to recruiting, and back to another thing I've said many times: the formula for programs like Minnesota--like our neighbors to the east and south--is to be a well-coached team that makes the most of their roster and develops players to their potential. Whatever people say about Fran, listen to Luka Garza talk about how he went from a heralded (4*) but not elite recruit to the top scorer in program history. His story and experience will get Iowa more players like him. That's how it's done. That's why they probably have the inside track for Eli King. That's how UW has developed their Lakeville North pipeline, who will keep pumping out more good players for them unless and until Minnesota shows they can coach and develop. There's no way top-5 recruit Joel Pryzbilla signs with the Gophers if Clem hadn't shown that he can get players to the next level and make deep postseason runs.

Build a solid foundation, and the players will come. A P5 job gets you into living rooms that you'd never get invited into otherwise. Look at the players on Iowa's roster and tell me the Gophers can't assemble that same caliber of squad with our resources and quality of institution. And that's a legitimate top-10 team who I wouldn't be surprised to see in the Final Four. That's why I'm glad for their and Wisconsin's successes: otherwise the loser conventional wisdom around here would perpetually be how everything is impossible so we should just give up.
Utah St and Colorado St are both Ag schools. Both are well north of the main metro area. I assume both have their own established community within their respective towns.

I'm sure that Logan is dominated by LDS culture, as much of Utah and southern Idaho are.

Maybe that plays a bit into the ability to recruit some players there? No idea.

Ohio State on the verge of sending Michign packing. Can't figure out Ohio State right now.

On a side note, maybe CBS has been doing this for a while but noticed that in the final 15 seconds of the shot clock they superimpose it on the court just above the free throw line. Never seen that before in a basketball broadcast but it is kind of cool. Don't have to glance down to the bottom of the screen in order to see the shot clock in those late clock situations.

Ohio State on the verge of sending Michign packing. Can't figure out Ohio State right now.

On a side note, maybe CBS has been doing this for a while but noticed that in the final 15 seconds of the shot clock they superimpose it on the court just above the free throw line. Never seen that before in a basketball broadcast but it is kind of cool. Don't have to glance down to the bottom of the screen in order to see the shot clock in those late clock situations.

Pretty easy to figure out.

They will blow every lead late. And its about a 50/50 shot if they close it out and win in the end haha. Although 3/3 this tourney.

Nice play by Michigan at the end. Dribble it down let clock run down. 4 guys stand around and let the PG try to get up a decent shot. Marcus Carr he is not

Hire the guy with the best idea of how to evaluate fit to what they do, the guy with great gifts to teach, the guy with great character, the defensive toughness guy. Probably does not draw a big press following or reach for fans ideas of star ratings. There are 2-3 guys on our radar that fit that.

Who are the 2-3 on our radar that fit that, in your opinion?

Arkansas/LSU 32-31 with over seven minutes remaining in the first half. That is a lot of scoring.

Dark horse?!?!?!?!?!

THey are a clear cut 1 seed

Yes, but Id argue that Gonzaga and Michigan have been the main favorites to win it. Although if Livers is out for weeks that changes things for Michigan.

Also if Illinois wins this BTT, it could arguably jump Michigan in that conversation

The Iona Gaels have just won their 5th straight MAAC conference tourney championship. Rick inherited a talented roster, however he did recruit the MAAC newcomer of the year out of Nigeria and proves why he is one of the greatest coaches of all time. Very proud alumni and credit goes out to the incredible foundation that was laid by coach Cluess. St Johns made a MAJOR mistake by hiring Mike Anderson over Cluess. Go Gaels!

San Diego State vs Utah State tipping off on CBS.

Nice play by Michigan at the end. Dribble it down let clock run down. 4 guys stand around and let the PG try to get up a decent shot. Marcus Carr he is not
Seemed like a bit of an odd strategy but maybe Howard figured they had a 1 seed locked up no matter what so may as well just go for the win on a last second shot.

wow - great first half so far.

I'm smiling with dreams of a real offense dancin' in my head!

Top Bottom