Zach Evans to Enter the Portal

I feel like I understand the game of football pretty well. I've coached it, played in college, etc.

I do not understand the Transfer Portal at all. I think Zach Evans is a pretty dang good running back. Good enough, that some on this board think he is just as good, if not better, than Taylor. I wasn't surprised to see Evans left, but the fact he didn't end up at another P5 school absolutely shocks me.

I really think Evans and Taylor together could have been a special combination. I get he will be the featured back and closer to home but the grass can't be greener at UNT. This is where one could point a finger at Fleck though. He has proved throughout his career that he does not rotate running backs. He has done it with his featured backs (Mo, Taylor) and also done it with guys in spot starts - Jordan Nubin.

The portal is a seesaw.

Fuck we lost that guy.

Wait he went where!?!?! Why are we recruiting guys who so often transfer out to nobody heard about state?!?!?!!?
Unless a guy produces he’ll almost always have a smaller offer list than he had coming out of high school.

I feel like I understand the game of football pretty well. I've coached it, played in college, etc.

I do not understand the Transfer Portal at all. I think Zach Evans is a pretty dang good running back. Good enough, that some on this board think he is just as good, if not better, than Taylor. I wasn't surprised to see Evans left, but the fact he didn't end up at another P5 school absolutely shocks me.

I really think Evans and Taylor together could have been a special combination. I get he will be the featured back and closer to home but the grass can't be greener at UNT. This is where one could point a finger at Fleck though. He has proved throughout his career that he does not rotate running backs. He has done it with his featured backs (Mo, Taylor) and also done it with guys in spot starts - Jordan Nubin.
He hasn’t shown anything to wow other P5 teams really. There’s so many other portal options plus a fresh class of high school RBs he has to compete with for offers.

I think he could have ended up at a P5 program. It's just a matter of what's most important to him. Being close to home and having a better chance at being the #1 back might have been more important.

Probably more than ever, a player will get noticed by scouts no matter where they play or at what level.

Some kids like to be at a smaller college. I personally know several D I athletes and they basically say that when you sign on with a D I program that they basically own you year round. Another rejected all the D I offers and took a scholarship at a D II school not too far from home so he could watch his little brothers play HS School basketball and get home more often.

He hasn’t shown anything to wow other P5 teams really. There’s so many other portal options plus a fresh class of high school RBs he has to compete with for offers.
Has also battled injuries during his time here so that might have kept some teams away as well.

But who knows, he might have had other options but North Texas fit the bill for what he was looking for.

I think he could have ended up at a P5 program. It's just a matter of what's most important to him. Being close to home and having a better chance at being the #1 back might have been more important.

Probably more than ever, a player will get noticed by scouts no matter where they play or at what level.
Played softball when I lived in the cities with a guy who started at tOSU and never saw the field; transferred to Northern Iowa and was a god - said it was the best decision he ever made.

I realize trying to convince Mr. Star HS player to do this would be essentially impossible, but kids who aren't likely going to play much as a freshman should almost look to these smaller schools first. I realize it sounds crazy, but P5 schools don't look at a freshman backup WR/RB/QB who didn't see the field much the same as they appear to look at G5 college freshman/sophomore who played a significant role with their team. As a business decision (as they have to be now) a freshman may have to weigh NIL money from a P5 school initially vs what they could earn long term after going through a G5 school and earning your P5 payday in a year or two.

Taylor for 23 carries and Evans for 12 carries would have been a nice option for next year.

In this system one guy gets 35 carries, and the others stand on the sideline.

No wonder why we have this number of RB's transferring out, even some with apparent talent that we'd like to keep.

Self inflicted.

Taylor for 23 carries and Evans for 12 carries would have been a nice option for next year.

No wonder why we have this number of RB's transferring out, even some with apparent talent that we'd like to keep.

Self inflicted.
Regardless of transfers it just makes sense to split the carries to limit injuries and keep guys fresh. There’s a reason everyone basically operates that way now.

Self inflicted.
I would have died to see Evans line up as a WR and have him run a jet motion and have Taylor run a zone behind it. That would put a lot of stress on the defense. Evans in space and Taylor running zone... Just if PJ would have hired me for OC...

Great example of this is Benny Sapp who left the Gophers because he was burried on the depth chart, transferred to UNI where he became a 3rd team all american, and is now playing for the Packers. Or Chris Streveler who is the only Gopher QB in recent memory that has appeared in an NFL game as a QB.

The problem is how many RBs are in the portal? How many of them played more or at least have better stats? (I have no idea I am asking) He left a situation where he was a backup so he likely wasn't looking to go to another P5 team just to back up there too. (which he likely would) He was looking for an opportunity to play and I just think most P5 teams already have a guy that can do what he does.

Personally I hope he was looking to move down, I think that would be a very smart move. If he honestly believed the grass was greener out there in a major conference he was fooling himself.

He’s not that good. Simple. If he were or any legit P5 coaches thought he was he’d have gotten an offer.

Do you know why he wasn't playing?
maybe because he was late to a meeting ? doesnt matter he ran him out of the program like all the qbs also. im a huge fleck backer, but there is a immense pattern of stupid ass coaching and not gving people playing time . this is a different age. you cant sit players for 2 years . thats over.; COACH FLECK change your best

maybe because he was late to a meeting ? doesnt matter he ran him out of the program like all the qbs also. im a huge fleck backer, but there is a immense pattern of stupid ass coaching and not gving people playing time . this is a different age. you cant sit players for 2 years . thats over.; COACH FLECK change your best
If what you are saying is consistent then why did he start D. Taylor as true fresh and Athan as a RS Soph? Walley started as a freshman. Johnson on OL started as true freshman. I would give coaches a little more credit maybe?

This is a question I'm asking, it's not a statement. I'd genuinely like to hear what Gopher Hole thinks on this:

Is it possible that certain runners don't like the idea of sharing the carries with other backs? Does he want to be a Mo Ibrahim-style bell cow, getting the ball all the time?

Last edited:

Evans had a hard time staying healthy. that probably does not help his stock in the portal.

and it was rumored that he had some issues with Fleck. true or not, that might make some teams cautious.

But - we are seeing a lot of portal kids wind up closer to home. it could be that simple - a kid from Texas living in MN may just decide that they'd rather be closer to friends and family, and playing in warmer weather. and as I noted, North Texas is losing their top RB to the portal, so if Evans can stay healthy, he might have a quicker path to playing time. It's still FBS.

I realize trying to convince Mr. Star HS player to do this would be essentially impossible, but kids who aren't likely going to play much as a freshman should almost look to these smaller schools first. I realize it sounds crazy, but P5 schools don't look at a freshman backup WR/RB/QB who didn't see the field much the same as they appear to look at G5 college freshman/sophomore who played a significant role with their team. As a business decision (as they have to be now) a freshman may have to weigh NIL money from a P5 school initially vs what they could earn long term after going through a G5 school and earning your P5 payday in a year or two.
yes, but consider Evans case. somehow he got in PJs doghouse. multiple RBs went down this year and he still couldn't get on the field, even before he was supposedly injured. who could blame him for seeking a new opportunity. wasn't going to get many offers due to his lack of resume. going closer to home makes the most sense. best of luck to him.
it's easy to state that players should pick PT at a smaller school, but if you watch Evans' interview on DTA, he was very positive about PJ's culture being more than just on the field stuff. I"m sure many pick UMN (&PJ) due to that, but if they feel they aren't getting a fair shake, that's when they decide to move on, like others have chosen.

I am not a huge Fleck backer, and I completely disagree.

Evans had a hard time staying healthy. that probably does not help his stock in the portal.

and it was rumored that he had some issues with Fleck. true or not, that might make some teams cautious.

But - we are seeing a lot of portal kids wind up closer to home. it could be that simple - a kid from Texas living in MN may just decide that they'd rather be closer to friends and family, and playing in warmer weather. and as I noted, North Texas is losing their top RB to the portal, so if Evans can stay healthy, he might have a quicker path to playing time. It's still FBS.
People underestimate how huge of a factor this is. This is why I think a more localized strategy for recruiting high school kids is the way to go in these times, especially for developmental type players.

You don’t play guys just to keep them from transferring, that’s a terrible idea.

I read an article this morning on how the transfer portal and NIL are depleting the talent level at the Group of 5 level. Interesting read. In the comments, a person who said he was the father of a college football player who had used the portal was calling for a new lawsuit which would seek to clear the path for college athletes to explore their options before they enter the portal. My first reaction was to scream at my screen but as I thought more about it, I began to think it might actual be a positive.

From what we know, Zach Evans, for example, only had three options after he chose to leave here; UConn, Kent State and North Texas. Not exactly helmet schools. Zach Evans chose North Texas and it's unlikely he got any money from them. If he had been able to investigate his opportunities before jumping into the portal, would he still have chosen to walk away from a scholarship on a Big Ten roster and a chance to play at the highest level? Would this lead more "depth guys" with scholarships to stick it out and work on their game? We know that a large percentage of athletes in the portal either level down or never play again. Would allowing them to sniff around before jumping ship help them see that the grass isn't always greener?

I read an article this morning on how the transfer portal and NIL are depleting the talent level at the Group of 5 level. Interesting read. In the comments, a person who said he was the father of a college football player who had used the portal was calling for a new lawsuit which would seek to clear the path for college athletes to explore their options before they enter the portal. My first reaction was to scream at my screen but as I thought more about it, I began to think it might actual be a positive.

From what we know, Zach Evans, for example, only had three options after he chose to leave here; UConn, Kent State and North Texas. Not exactly helmet schools. Zach Evans chose North Texas and it's unlikely he got any money from them. If he had been able to investigate his opportunities before jumping into the portal, would he still have chosen to walk away from a scholarship on a Big Ten roster and a chance to play at the highest level? Would this lead more "depth guys" with scholarships to stick it out and work on their game? We know that a large percentage of athletes in the portal either level down or never play again. Would allowing them to sniff around before jumping ship help them see that the grass isn't always greener?
Some kids would rather see the field at a smaller school than ride the pine at a B1G school. That's the main issue with 90% of transfers IMO.

Regardless of transfers it just makes sense to split the carries to limit injuries and keep guys fresh. There’s a reason everyone basically operates that way now.
Almost everyone...

Top Bottom