Zach Evans to Enter the Portal

Can you imagine how much it sucks to be a coach right now with all this player movement? I wouldn't be surprised if this pushes some of the older guys towards early retirement. OK, except for the fact they get paid millions of dollars! Or maybe they start jumping to the NFL for more stability. I never thought I'd say that!!!
kitty-forman-debra-jo-rupp.gif

Can we have all of them?
I see you subscribe to my portal strategy:

http://i.imgur.com/7zw2jzv.gif

In all seriousness I do expect that a sizable chunk of portal entrants this year ... don't actually transfer and go back to their teams.

Lotta guys might have heard about money that isn't really out there ... for them.

I heard an interesting thought offered somewhere.

after Nubin had that 40-carry game, he didn't seem like the same back. Ryan Burns tracks the number of times a RB breaks tackles or makes tacklers miss. (or gets it from PFF) Nubin had a lot of broken/missed tackles in the MSU game, but only a handful in all of his carries the rest of the season.

so either other teams were defending him better, or that 40-carry game took a toll on his body/legs.

but it suggests the importance of having multiple options at the RB position.

of the 22 hard commits for 2024 - according to 247 - there are 2 RB's -
Jaydon Wright of Kankakee, Illinois (3*, 87 grade) - ranked as 68th best RB recruit nationally &
Ohifame Ijeboi of Philadelphia (3*, 86 grade) - ranked as the 88th best RB recruit nationally

College football is officially a joke. This is just getting started. Maybe the NCAA should worry more about this transfer portal and less about Harbaugh eating lunch with recruits.

He'll get some better offers than these.
I wouldn’t be so sure of that. He hasn’t proven much yet, and not like he was a five star out of high school. A blue blood might throw him an offer for depth I guess, like PSU did with Potts.

He can go to Kent State and if he does well that will open up the door to UNC (Tez Walker) and if he does well there then he can go to Oregon or something. Did I do this right?
You gotta put in some near sighted dreams for your own team to fulfill the portal prediction chain.

He'll get some better offers than these.
Not that much better. He is entering the portal with not much fanfare and better options out there. He may do better in the G5 than Kent State but I would be pretty surprised if he is offered a scholarship from a P5 conference.

Wherever he goes though good luck to him!

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. He hasn’t proven much yet, and not like he was a five star out of high school. A blue blood might throw him an offer for depth I guess, like PSU did with Potts.
Not that much better. He is entering the portal with not much fanfare and better options out there. He may do better in the G5 than Kent State but I would be pretty surprised if he is offered a scholarship from a P5 conference.

Wherever he goes though good luck to him!

I think Evans looked the part when he was healthy....and would likely be the best back on a number of P5 teams. Definitely more talented a runner than Potts.

He can go to Kent State and if he does well that will open up the door to UNC (Tez Walker) and if he does well there then he can go to Oregon or something. Did I do this right?
And by the time he's done in all the registrars' offices he might be a sophomore at Oregon by credit hours!

True, but there is nothing stopping him from changing his mind at some point. Commitments rarely mean anything these days.
I think there’s little chance he won’t be our starter for 24.

After that I wouldn’t have the slight bit of surprise if he cashes in.

I think Evans looked the part when he was healthy....and would likely be the best back on a number of P5 teams. Definitely more talented a runner than Potts.
He had 58 total rushes for 259 yards and 2 TDs...his top game was under 30 yards. He may be better than Potts is but Potts showed way more before he transferred than Evans did. Evans should have waited until he had more tape before leaving. He hasn't proven he can be a starter (or stay on the field) so it is going to be tough for him to find P5 teams willing to give him a scholarship IMHO.

He had 58 total rushes for 259 yards and 2 TDs...his top game was under 30 yards. He may be better than Potts is but Potts showed way more before he transferred than Evans did. Evans should have waited until he had more tape before leaving. He hasn't proven he can be a starter (or stay on the field) so it is going to be tough for him to find P5 teams willing to give him a scholarship IMHO.

He had a few games over 30 yards....? And he had some really good offers coming out of high school. While his injury kept him from contributing more.....you can see when he runs that he's an above average back when healthy. Ability isn't what has kept him off the field. I would be very surprised if he didn't have a number of P5 offers when all is said and done.

He had a few games over 30 yards....? And he had some really good offers coming out of high school. While his injury kept him from contributing more.....you can see when he runs that he's an above average back when healthy. Ability isn't what has kept him off the field. I would be very surprised if he didn't have a number of P5 offers when all is said and done.
Yeah you are right...misread gophersports. Stats are still not that impressive though.

I am not saying he doesn't strike me as a guy a team can build around but for his sake I hope I am wrong.

Yeah you are right...misread gophersports. Stats are still not that impressive though.

I am not saying he doesn't strike me as a guy a team can build around but for his sake I hope I am wrong.

Yeah....stats really don't help his case much. But I do think being a true freshman last year....and injuries this year made a difference. I just think that if some teams were looking for a guy that wasn't expected to come in and be a bellcow.....Evans has some tape showing his abilities when healthy.

Just seems like it would be a low risk flier for a guy who had some high end offers out of HS.....and three years of eligibility remaining. On the other hand.....I thought Ky Thomas had the look of a good P5 contributor when he transferred out too.

North Texas 5-7 this year in the AAC.

looks like their top RB is in the portal - ran for over 1,000 yards this season.

so may be an opening for Evans to get carries IF he can stay healthy.

Top Bottom