Zach Evans to Enter the Portal

It's unfortunate but not surprising. I'll be curious to see where he ends up and how he does. I've always felt that he wasn't terrible but some on this board had greatly inflated his abilities. Time will tell.

Not really all that surprising. Staff clearly was hesitant to put him on the field until nobody else was available.
Fleck was trying to get him to be more FAMILY. The kid probably would like to go out with double middle fingers up for not playing earlier this year but of course we don’t know he might’ve acted in a way that deserved his benching but if anyone didn’t think this one was coming, you weren’t paying attention.

Hopefully this points towards Taylor staying. Will be a very different running back room next year with Tyler/B Williams/M Williams/Evans all leaving.

Fleck was trying to get him to be more FAMILY. The kid probably would like to go out with double middle fingers up for not playing earlier this year but of course we don’t know he might’ve acted in a way that deserved his benching but if anyone didn’t think this one was coming, you weren’t paying attention.
So there were attitude issues?

I don’t know about attitude issues, but he seemed to have a 5-7 play limit before being injured. I think he’s talented. But it seems to be hard to find a way to get him to the point of being a resilient, dependable contributor on the field. Hope he does well at his next stop—with a fresh start.

As for Zach I can't blame him. Saw some bright spots but also not a #1 back kinda guy with us. He just didn't take over games like others did.

will the last person out of the room please turn off the lights?

Evans appeared to have talent. He also had trouble staying healthy, so I'm not sure that we really had a fair evaluation of his capabilities.

------
on a different front - every one of these portal announcements reads like it was written by ChatGPT.
thank the coach, thank the teammates, talk about the great experience - and then announce that they're leaving. If it was such a great experience, why are they leaving?

I know this will never happen, but just once, I want to see a player come out and say "This didn't turn out the way I wanted, so I'm going to find another program that I like better."

will the last person out of the room please turn off the lights?

Evans appeared to have talent. He also had trouble staying healthy, so I'm not sure that we really had a fair evaluation of his capabilities.

------
on a different front - every one of these portal announcements reads like it was written by ChatGPT.
thank the coach, thank the teammates, talk about the great experience - and then announce that they're leaving. If it was such a great experience, why are they leaving?

I know this will never happen, but just once, I want to see a player come out and say "This didn't turn out the way I wanted, so I'm going to find another program that I like better."
College kids aren't great PR bots.

Everyone knows your line is how it typically works.

Obviously something was going on as they only started playing him when they were forced to.

Something didn’t mesh. Shouldn’t be a surprise

This one hurts, but at least Fleck has proven the ability to find good RBs (Tyler notwithstanding), and our run-heavy attach should be attractive to some good ones.

Last edited:

As others have said, hopefully Taylor sticks around because RB is thin right now heading to next year. Going to need to add a portal guy at this point for depth and to share the load.

Hopefully this points towards Taylor staying. Will be a very different running back room next year with Tyler/B Williams/M Williams/Evans all leaving.

I think you can be pretty confident that Fleck will pick up at least one transfer RB, hopefully one who is better than last year's transfer RB.

Obviously something was going on as they only started playing him when they were forced to.

Something didn’t mesh. Shouldn’t be a surprise

Maybe it's because he was a Red-Shirt freshman who was 5-6 on the depth chart. Nothing going on, others were just better.

Portal has skewed the system and people think if you're not on the field in year 1-2, something is wrong. Unfortunately the players think the same way and transfer.

1. Taylor
2. Nubin
and 2-3 freshmen coming in. RB Room is fine if Taylor stays.

Top Bottom