Zach Evans to Enter the Portal

He obviously followed the portal-tweet template.

Rosters are so fluid now, who knows what to expect year to year.

Welcome to 3-9.
dVHQ7ME.gif

People are mad mad that we’re losing back up players and forgetting that players are allowed to commit here too

They're only mad about losing backup players they thought were good or had strong potential to be good. Also, given our history, running back needs more depth than most positions.

This kid wasn’t Bucky, but he’s super talented the comments on here about him being more of a middling RB or false. What’s true is he was in the doghouse for a while and then couldn’t stay healthy a lick.
He hasn’t shown anything to suggest he is an above average B1G rb. Not that a middling talent is the worst thing for your second best rb.

Doesn’t seem like a good decision on his part. But best of luck. These recruits from out of state have little patience.

The guy was clearly in the dog house and seems behind both Taylor and Nubin. I would have loved for him to stay but I would have been pretty surprised had he not transferred.

Can you imagine how much it sucks to be a coach right now with all this player movement? I wouldn't be surprised if this pushes some of the older guys towards early retirement. OK, except for the fact they get paid millions of dollars! Or maybe they start jumping to the NFL for more stability. I never thought I'd say that!!!

Can you imagine how much it sucks to be a coach right now with all this player movement? I wouldn't be surprised if this pushes some of the older guys towards early retirement. OK, except for the fact they get paid millions of dollars! Or maybe they start jumping to the NFL for more stability. I never thought I'd say that!!!
It does suck but there is a massive opportunity, even for programs like ours.

We all have been saying all year - "PJ needs to find a QB in the portal". If that wasn't option, we'd all just be hoping for development for the next few years.

This is surprising. Definitely hurts depth as I thought Evans was clearly the second best back on the team behind Taylor.

Really in the end.....DT 2023 is the guy that the staff has to go all in on. Taylor has all conference talent.

6 million bucks and by last count, PJ has just under 30 folks on his staff. Take some of that TV money and hire six or seven more folks to help you figure all this nonsense out.

He hasn’t shown anything to suggest he is an above average B1G rb. Not that a middling talent is the worst thing for your second best rb.
Hasn’t had a lot of chance, but I’m pretty confident he will turn out to be damn good. For sure, he has more burst than Taylor. One run all year by our team over 21 yards might be the most embarrassing stat I’ve ever seen. What a joke.

Seems like there was lots of complaining about lack of depth this year, for every depth player we have leave, one would think that would make it worse.

Seems like there was lots of complaining about lack of depth this year, for every depth player we have leave, one would think that would make it worse.
It does make it worse. It can be replaced, but with players that you didn’t develop, players you aren’t super familiar with, and with players not familiar with your system. It sucks for programs like ours, but it is what it is.

It does make it worse. It can be replaced, but with players that you didn’t develop, players you aren’t super familiar with, and with players not familiar with your system. It sucks for programs like ours, but it is what it is.
It's happening other places too. Notre Dame is down to 6 scholarship WRs.

I’m a little surprised by this one. But maybe this is another sign that Taylor will stick around.

Oh, no. If we lose Taylor, too, it's a disaster. Too man jumping ship - we need some newcomers who want to build for the new era of NIL and never-ending transfers. Some keepers.

This is surprising. Definitely hurts depth as I thought Evans was clearly the second best back on the team behind Taylor.

Really in the end.....DT 2023 is the guy that the staff has to go all in on. Taylor has all conference talent.
This is where I’m at. I don’t get people downplaying this one. I’m not panicking because that’s stupid, but Evans was clearly talented. I was shocked he wasn’t playing earlier after getting an extended look at him over a couple games. Good vision, decisive cuts, tough to bring down, clearly explosive. Far better runner than Williams, Tyler, and Nubin. No idea how he performs in practice, how much of the playbook he knows, what type of citizen he is, or how he pass blocks. But was very good running the ball IMO. I’m super bummed he’s leaving.

When healthy Evan’s is a better back than Nubin. Easily.
Maybe as a runner, his pass blocking was BRUTAL this year. There is a reason he was not playing, he never learened how to set down and punch. He was easily the worst pass blocker this year.

Not a huge surprise IMO. If Taylor leaves too then we’re in big trouble.

Top Bottom